Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Issue Filtering Tail
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Issue Filtering Tail Post 302371071 by steadyonabix on Friday 13th of November 2009 09:59:49 AM
Old 11-13-2009
Code:
tail -f imp.log | nawk '!/Bps/' | sed -e 's/\ \[\<strategy.SNTH\>\]//g' -e 's/\([0-9][0-9]\),[^ ]*/\1/g'

---------- Post updated at 02:47 PM ---------- Previous update was at 02:40 PM ----------

This is a slightly stronger match: -

Code:
tail -f imp.log | nawk '!/Bps/' | sed -e 's/\ \[\<strategy.SNTH\>\]//g' -e 's/\([0-9][0-9]:[0-9][0-9]:[0-9][0-9]\),[0-9][0-9]*/\1/g'

---------- Post updated at 02:59 PM ---------- Previous update was at 02:47 PM ----------

Your pattern for strategy.SNTH is a little overcomplicated: -

Code:
s/ \[strategy.SNTH\]//g

is sufficient

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

using tail -f

Working in HP-UX 10.20. I eventually want to write a bourne shell script to handle the following problem, but for now I am just toying with it at the command line. Here's what I am basically trying to do: tail -f log_X | grep n > log_Y I am doing a tail -f on log_X . Once it sees "n", I... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: cdunavent
6 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

tail -f

I am trying to extract a particular line from a.log which keeps appending every sec and output that into a newfile b.log which should append itself with filtered data received from a.log I tried tail -f a.log |grep fail| tee -a b.log nothing in b.log tail -f a.log |grep fail >>b.log ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: wannalearn
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sed filtering issue

The problem I have is that I have 23,000 records I need to sort through to pull out LEN: XXXX XX XX XX XX and NCOS: XXX entries from so I can insert them into a database. But some of my records include TYPE: ISDN, THE DN IS UNASSIGNED, or INVALID entries in between some records and I would like... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: roachmmflhyr
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Report filtering - Weird issue and interesting - UrgentPlease

Hi, Could any one help me to extract data from a report. I would like to get the two lines which are just below the separations I have a report like this -------------------------------------------------------------------------- Pid Command Inuse Pin Pgsp Virtual... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ajilesh
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

tail issue!

Hi, I had few scripts which were running fine on linux: uname -a Linux ######### 2.6.9-89.ELsmp #1 SMP Mon Apr 20 10:33:05 EDT 2009 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux from some front end application. Recently there was a migration of this application on some other linux m/c: uname -a... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: dips_ag
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

AWK / tail Issue

Hello, I am using a tail command to fetch the line before last in a log file. the two last lines are as followed: 11-01-16 11:55:45.174 | CClientObject::InitTraceLevelInCache Starting CClientObject::InitTraceLevelInCache End I am doing a awk statement to gather only the numeric... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: LiorAmitai
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Grep filtering issue

Hi, I am on uname -a HP-UX mymachine B.11.31 U ia64 3223107173 unlimited-user license ps -exx| grep java | grep -i "GrafiteEventsInterfaces*" 19955 ? 55:22 /opt/app/app1/jdk150_07/bin/IA64N/java -server -Xms1024m -Xmx1024m -XX:PermSize=256m -XX:MaxPermSize=512m... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohtashims
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Joining multiple files tail on tail

I have 250 files that have 16 columns each - all numbered as follows stat.1000, stat.1001, stat.1002, stat.1003....stat.1250. I would like to join all 250 of them together tail by tail as follows. For example stat.1000 a b c d e f stat.1001 g h i j k l So that my output... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kayak
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

[Solved] Tail command issue in Linux

Hello, When I am trying to use tail +13 filename.csv it is throwing an error. tail: cannot open `+13' for reading: No such file or directory and then prints last 10 lines of the file. (File is present on the path) But when i try tail -13 filename.csv it runs perfectly. Could I have... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: AnkitSenghani
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Tail +

because the tail +2 on the first line gives me the file name pomga I do not want anything like what I miss tail +2 ejemplo.txt ouput ==> ejemplo.txt <== 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: tricampeon81
2 Replies
ROOTTAIL(1)						      General Commands Manual						       ROOTTAIL(1)

NAME
root-tail - print text directly to X11 root window SYNOPSIS
root-tail [-g|--geometry GEOMETRY] [-fn|--font FONTSPEC] [--color color] [--reload SEC COMMAND] [--shade] [--outline] [--minspace] [--noflicker] [-f|--fork] [--reverse] [--whole] [--partial] [--update] [--cont STRING] [--wordwrap] [--justify] [--noinitial] [--frame] [-id ID] [-i|--interval SECONDS] [-V] file1[,color[,desc]] [file2[,color[,desc]]] DESCRIPTION
Displays a given file anywhere on your X11 root window, i.e. it is kind of tail -f for multiple files using your desktop background as out- put window. All non-option arguments on the command line are files to be logged. A null desc (example: "/var/log/messages,red,") will prevent the printing of a description and the []'s. General Options --color COLOR Use COLOR as default. --font | -fn FONTSPEC Use font FONTSPEC. This can be either a fixed width font like -fn fixed or any font using -fn '-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*' with the appropriate fields filled out (see xfontsel). Specifying a different FONTSPEC before each filename will cause each file to be displayed in a different font. -f | --fork Forks to the background. --reverse Display the files in reverse order, with the newest lines at the top. --whole Only display whole lines. If the last line of a file doesn't yet end with a newline character then wait until it does before dis- playing it. This is the default if more than one file is being displayed. --partial This is the opposite of the --whole option (see above). It displays lines even if they don't yet have a newline at the end. This is the default if only one file is being displayed. --update Update partial lines 'in place' if they are still on the screen when they are updated in their files. Using --update automatically turns on --partial. --cont STRING When partial lines are broken into two lines in the display, prefix the 2nd line with STRING. Defaults to "|| ". Specify the "--whole" argument to ensure partial lines are never displayed, or specify "--update" to attempt to "repair" broken lines in-place. --cont-color COLOR Use COLOR when displaying the continuation string (as optionally specified with the --cont option above). --wordwrap The default behaviour is to fit as much as possible onto each line of output, even if this means splitting a word between one line and the next. The --wordwrap argument splits lines at spaces if possible. --justify After wrapping long lines, attempt to justify the text to produce a smooth right-hand margin. Implies --wordwrap. --reload SEC COMMAND Re-display the file(s) and run COMMAND every SEC seconds. The default is to never re-display the file(s). --shade Add black shading to the font. --outline Add a black outline to the font (making redraws quite a bit slower). --minspace Use minimum linespace even when using shading or outlining. This might result in leftover pixels (dependign on font and logfile con- tent). --noflicker Use slower but flicker-free update. --noinitial Don't display the end of the file(s) initially. -id ID Use the given window ID for output instead of the root window. -i | --interval SECONDS Use the specified sleeping interval between checks instead of the default 2.4 seconds. Fractional values are OK. -V Print version information. --frame Draw a frame around the selected area. This is useful when trying to find the perfect geometry. EXAMPLE
root-tail -g 800x250+100+50 -font 10x20 /var/log/messages,green -font 12x24 /var/log/secure,red,'ALERT' BUGS
Some desktop environments open a virtual root window and make it difficult to share it. If you cannot see anything after starting root- tail, try to find a setting "allow programs on desktop" or similar, or manually specify a window id. Should you happen to find any bugs please fix them and send me a diff. NOTE: This program was modified by Marc Lehmann <pcg@goof.com>, who couldn't reach the original author. Please direct bug-reports etc. to pcg@goof.com. http://root-tail.plan9.de/ 4.2 Berkeley Distribution 2004-03-27 ROOTTAIL(1)