Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers New computer for Unix-based OS's -- need help deciding Post 302371016 by Tron55555 on Friday 13th of November 2009 06:38:46 AM
Old 11-13-2009
I should have mentioned this in my first post, but I don't think I want to use virtualization. I will get a computer with a fair amount of hard drive space and probably partition the drive or something for each OS I want to install (I won't need much hard drive space for each OS, just enough to install and run whatever developer tools are available for the OS, and that's about it). Is this reasonable? Any further input? Thanks!

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

What can I do,if I want windows me and unix stay in the same computer?

My computer's operating system is windows me,now.I want install unix in it while I don't want to kill the windows me.So could u tell me what to do?I'd like you give me detailed information about it.Thank u. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: David
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Im trying to put unix FreeBSD on my computer

i bought my computer from gateway about a year ago. i decided to try using a different OS so i tried partitioning my hard drive . It came with a older partion magic 4.0 and i tried using that but when i tried to install FreeBSD it wouldn't recongnise my drives. I just got lost on how to fix my... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Fossil
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unix in pentium computer

Haw Can I install a solaris in my own pc at home I have try but every time it is just boot to windows what should I do about it so I can Have it at my home pc thanks All The best . . . . . . om911ar (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: omar911
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Mount a network computer/drive in unix?

:D hey all, how do you scan/mount a network drive or computer/directory? thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: emplate
2 Replies

5. HP-UX

Computer Based Training

All, Any one knows where I can buy computer based training in unix like in AIX or HP-UX. some what like System Administration 1 and 2 Appreciate your help. :) (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: eykyn17
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Adding Unix on my Windows based computer

Hi Everyone... I am very interested in the Unix/Linux/Knoppix world and would like to eventually become proficient in the programming aspect of it all. Is it possible to use Knoppix in a partitioned drive on my Windows based computer to learn programming in Unix? Or do I need to partition my... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Rev. Enant
1 Replies

7. AIX

AIX on windows based computer.

Hello, We would like to perform tests on a product that my company created lately. We don't have the right hardware for AIX enviornment I've read the thred "Unix environments for MS Windows", but didn't see there a possibility to install AIX OS on a special compatible hardware. We've... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: AshkA
6 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

UUCP Transfer Files to Old UNIX Computer

I recently installed AT&T UNIX SysV, on an old Pentium computer. I now find that I am unable to transfer files to and from the computer. I previously posted about problems mounting a floppy drive, but that is just bringing up more problems about the filesystem format. JGT brought to my attention... (27 Replies)
Discussion started by: BrentBANKS
27 Replies
GRUB-INSTALL(8) 							FSF							   GRUB-INSTALL(8)

NAME
grub-install - install GRUB on your drive SYNOPSIS
grub-install [OPTION] install_device DESCRIPTION
Install GRUB on your drive. -h, --help print this message and exit -v, --version print the version information and exit --root-directory=DIR install GRUB images under the directory DIR instead of the root directory --grub-shell=FILE use FILE as the grub shell --no-floppy do not probe any floppy drive --force-lba force GRUB to use LBA mode even for a buggy BIOS --recheck probe a device map even if it already exists INSTALL_DEVICE can be a GRUB device name or a system device filename. grub-install copies GRUB images into the DIR/boot directory specfied by --root-directory, and uses the grub shell to install grub into the boot sector. The grub source distribution carries this script to ease the installation of grub as a boot loader. In Suse Linux however, grub installa- tion is much better handled by Yast; use of this script is generally discouraged and therefore unsupported. Consequently, the script has been renamed to grub-install.unsupported. In order to (re-)install grub for the currently running system, simply use Yast. For an installation aiming at a differing system, the crafting of an appropriate device.map and grub shell script is strongly advised, e.g. "grub --batch --device-map=target-device.map < tar- get-grub.conf" SEE ALSO
The full documentation for grub-install is maintained as a Texinfo manual. If the info and grub-install programs are properly installed at your site, the command info grub-install should give you access to the complete manual. grub-install (GNU GRUB 0.97) May 2005 GRUB-INSTALL(8)