Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers First Three Characters of the first line of a file Post 302370873 by daPeach on Thursday 12th of November 2009 05:38:37 PM
Old 11-12-2009
Code:
read -n3 < infile
echo $REPLY

Last edited by daPeach; 11-12-2009 at 06:48 PM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Filling in characters to line a file up

Hi there, Ive got a feeling this is quite complex but I have a Comma delimited file which is being transfered up to a mainframe and I have to get every column lining up , I need to add in characters to line it up (but different characters and in different positions based on what field/column it... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: hcclnoodles
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to count characters by line of file ?

Hello, Member or professional need help how to count characters by line of file Example of the file is here cdr20080817164322811681txt cdr20080817164322811txt cdr20080817164322811683txt cdr20080817164322811684txt I want to count the characters by line of file . The output that I... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ooilinlove
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to cut first 3 characters of each line in a file

Hi Friends I have a file like sample1.txt ------------ 10998909.txt 10898990.txt 1898772222.txt 8980000000000.txt I need to take first 3 characters of each line in a file and i need to print it ' like loop 109 108 189 898 (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: kittusri9
7 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Delete new line characters from a file

Hi, I have a file with about 25 colums separated with '~', but few of the lines have extra tabs ('^') and new line characters ('$'). Is there a way I can delete those characters if they are anywhere before the 25th column in a line? example: CLUB000650;12345678;0087788667;NOOP MEMBER ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: rudoraj
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

New line characters in Ascii file

I am having a file(1234.txt) downloaded from windows server (in Ascii format).However when i ftp this file to Unix server and try to work with it..i am unable to do anything.When i try to open the file using vi editor the file opens in the following format ... @ @ @ @ @ @ @ @... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: appu2176
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

cut certain characters for each line in a file

Hi Everyone, i have a file 1.txt <a><a"" dd>aaaaauweopriuew</f><">!(^)!</aa></ff> <a><a"" dd>bbbbbuweopriuew</f><">!(^*)!</aa></ff> i know i can use perl -p -i -e "s/>aaaaa/aa/g" 1.txt perl -p -i -e "s/>bbbbb/bb/g" 1.txt to acheive only keep the first two characters of the five characters,... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jimmy_y
4 Replies

7. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

Remove new line characters from a file

I tried using below command tr -cd "" < InputFile.xml > output.txt ============= This removes all the tabs/newline/extra spaces from a file it successfully removed all the extra spaces,tabs and new line characters but then the complete file become one record. I want to retain one new line... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: saini
1 Replies

8. Programming

Matching first n characters in a line in a file

hi to all, i am writing a simple file program in C which has to take a string of length n as input and match that input string with first n character of the line in file. if it does not match it has to compare with first n characters of next line. i am finding it difficult to know how exactly to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ntrikoti
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find new line characters in a file

Hi All, I need to find new line characters in a file and their location in the file and print the results. can someone pleas help. KM (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Kevin Tivoli
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Copying characters on each line in a file

Hello, I would like to copy the first and third char on each line of a file and place them in the 14h and 17th char positions. The file name is listed first and is 6 char's and the dir name is second and also same char size on each line. The file has thousands of lines. Initial... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: dmm
6 Replies
Locale::Codes::LangExt(3)				User Contributed Perl Documentation				 Locale::Codes::LangExt(3)

NAME
Locale::Codes::LangExt - standard codes for language extension identification SYNOPSIS
use Locale::Codes::LangExt; $lext = code2langext('acm'); # $lext gets 'Mesopotamian Arabic' $code = langext2code('Mesopotamian Arabic'); # $code gets 'acm' @codes = all_langext_codes(); @names = all_langext_names(); DESCRIPTION
The "Locale::Codes::LangExt" module provides access to standard codes used for identifying language extensions, such as those as defined in the IANA language registry. Most of the routines take an optional additional argument which specifies the code set to use. If not specified, the default IANA language registry codes will be used. SUPPORTED CODE SETS
There are several different code sets you can use for identifying language extensions. A code set may be specified using either a name, or a constant that is automatically exported by this module. For example, the two are equivalent: $lext = code2langext('acm','alpha'); $lext = code2langext('acm',LOCALE_LANGEXT_ALPHA); The codesets currently supported are: alpha This is the set of three-letter (lowercase) codes from the IANA language registry, such as 'acm' for Mesopotamian Arabic. This is the default code set. ROUTINES
code2langext ( CODE [,CODESET] ) langext2code ( NAME [,CODESET] ) langext_code2code ( CODE ,CODESET ,CODESET2 ) all_langext_codes ( [CODESET] ) all_langext_names ( [CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::rename_langext ( CODE ,NEW_NAME [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::add_langext ( CODE ,NAME [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::delete_langext ( CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::add_langext_alias ( NAME ,NEW_NAME ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::delete_langext_alias ( NAME ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::rename_langext_code ( CODE ,NEW_CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::add_langext_code_alias ( CODE ,NEW_CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::delete_langext_code_alias ( CODE [,CODESET] ) These routines are all documented in the Locale::Codes::API man page. SEE ALSO
Locale::Codes The Locale-Codes distribution. Locale::Codes::API The list of functions supported by this module. http://www.iana.org/assignments/language-subtag-registry The IANA language subtag registry. AUTHOR
See Locale::Codes for full author history. Currently maintained by Sullivan Beck (sbeck@cpan.org). COPYRIGHT
Copyright (c) 2011-2013 Sullivan Beck This module is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. perl v5.16.3 2013-02-27 Locale::Codes::LangExt(3)