Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users AWK sub function curious problem under bash Post 302370865 by Max Rebo on Thursday 12th of November 2009 05:01:24 PM
Old 11-12-2009
Ahh, so you have heard about the little blue elephant (who is not an elephant)? Exxxxcellent.

-OK- Next problem that is perplexing me (in the same large-print-file problem) is another corker... grrr.
Code:
#!/bin/bash
##### Detect potential too-large reports
function get-last-page()
{
   if [ $# == 1 ] && [ -s $1 ] && grep -qs "Page " $1 ; then # File is valid
      PAGES=`awk '/Page/{ f=$NF }; END{ sub(/Page/,"",f); print f }' $1;`
#     echo $PAGES
      if [ "$PAGES" -gt "100" ]; then
         get-operator-option $1 $PAGES "Pages"
         return $?
      fi
   fi
}
##### Ask operator how to handle too-large report
function get-operator-option()
{
   echo -e "The system has detected that your report may be larger than you"
   echo -e "expected.  You need to decide what to do with this report.\n"
   echo -e "Your $1 report is $2 $3.\n"
   echo -e "No matter what you decide your report is saved to disk now.\n"
   echo -e "Please select from the following options (Enter 1, 2, 3, or 4):\n"
   select OPTION in \
                    "Print large report anyway."                     \
                    "Don't print large report (cancel print)."       \
                    "E-mail me information on this report (cancel)." \
                    "E-mail IT department on this report (cancel)."
   do
      case \($REPLY\) in
        "1") return 0;;  # Print  report
        "2") return 1;;  # Cancel report
        "3") return 2;;  # Cancel report and email info to user and IT
#           send-too-large-email ${USER} ${PROGRAM} ${SPOOLFILE};&
        "4") return 3;;  # Cancel report and email info to IT
#           send-too-large-email "IT" ${PROGRAM} ${SPOOLFILE};;
      esac
   done
}

#### Test for too-large print job
if [ $(get-last-page $1) -gt 0 ]; then
   echo "exit TESTING: $?"
   read x;
fi
echo "normal TESTING: $?"
read x;

I don't know how I get myself in these fixes, but when I test my script using this function I -NEVER- see the message echo'ed at the top of my get-operator-option function. It goes straight to the select OPTION clause.

(-btw- when I type the function into my current shell and run it as an immediate function, not from a script file, I see the echo'ed text! ai!)

Why is echo not working at the top of the get-operator-option function? What silly little thing am I missing?

TIAA

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

problem in awk int() function

awk -vwgt=$vWeight -vfac=$vFactor ' BEGIN { printf("wgt:" wgt "\n"); printf("factor:" fac "\n"); total = sprintf("%.0f", wgt * fac); total2 = sprintf("%.0f", int(wgt * fac)); printf("total:" total "\n"); printf("total2:" total2 "\n"); } ' if vWeight=326.4 vFactor=100 the result... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: qa.bingo
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk , function call problem

#!/bin/bash awk ' function ad(t,r){ return (t+r); } BEGIN{ print ad(5,3); } { print ad(5,3); } ' Doesn't print anything for the last print ad(5,3); (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: cola
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Awk problem: How to express the single quote(') by using awk print function

Actually I got a list of file end with *.txt I want to use the same command apply to all the *.txt Thus I try to find out the fastest way to write those same command in a script and then want to let them run automatics. For example: I got the file below: file1.txt file2.txt file3.txt... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: patrick87
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

AWK Problem in recursive function

Hi, I have a file like this SPF_HC00001|iCalcular_Monto_Minimo|--->|SPF_HC00028|pstcObtener_Monto_Minimo SPF_HC00004|iCalcular_Incrementos|--->|SPF_HC00032|pstcObtener_Num_Incrementos SPF_HC00005|iCalcular_Articulo_167_Reformado|--->|SPF_HC00031|pstcObtener_Por_CB_Inc... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kcoder24
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem using function in awk

I created two functions that output two random variables. I want to output them in the output file. But it does not seem to work. # Function rgaussian1(r1, r2) # Gaussian random number generator function rgaussian1(r1, r2) { pi = 3.142 v1 = sqrt( -2 * log(rand()) ) v2... (18 Replies)
Discussion started by: kristinu
18 Replies

6. Solaris

Curious MPxIO problem

Hello folks, I have a newly installed Solaris 10 system running on a T6320 blade. I have set up LDM with the intent to move an ldom from another blade to this one. So far, so good. I had the SAN folks make the LUNs belonging to the ldom visible to my new blade and I can see them, all 4 paths.... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ranck
4 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

New problem with awk using bash

Hi! I have a new problem with awk, this time I think is because I'm using it in bash and I don't know how to put the valor of the variable in awk. Here is the code: #!/bin/bash for i in 1 2 3 4 5 do a=$i b=$ awk '$1>=a&&$1<=b {print $1,$2,$3}'>asdf test... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: florpi
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash function problem

I am trying to figure out why I am having a "problem" with some functions in a bash script I am running. The reason for air quoting is that the functions are working, they are just not displaying anything to screen when called from another function. Here's an example: function Create_Input {... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: dagamier
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash script: problem with a function which use colors

Hello guys :) I've a some issue with a function which use the bash colors in my script. An example : #!/bin/bash set -x log_in(){ host="srv1" remote_files="log/" LOG_FILE="logfile" green='\033]; then color_in_red=("${red}"$2"${none}") echo -e... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Arnaudh78
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk call in bash function called with arugments not working, something lost in translation?

Hello, I have this awk code in a bash script to perform a find and replace task. This finds one unique line in a file and substitutes the found line with a replacement. #! /bin/bash # value determined elsewhere total_outputs_p1=100 # file being modified... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: LMHmedchem
5 Replies
ROUND(3)								 1								  ROUND(3)

round - Rounds a float

SYNOPSIS
float round (float $val, [int $precision], [int $mode = PHP_ROUND_HALF_UP]) DESCRIPTION
Returns the rounded value of $val to specified $precision (number of digits after the decimal point). $precision can also be negative or zero (default). Note PHP doesn't handle strings like "12,300.2" correctly by default. See converting from strings. PARAMETERS
o $val - The value to round o $precision - The optional number of decimal digits to round to. o $mode - Use one of the following constants to specify the mode in which rounding occurs. +--------------------+---------------------------------------------------+ | Constant | | | | | | | Description | | | | +--------------------+---------------------------------------------------+ | | | | PHP_ROUND_HALF_UP | | | | | | | Round $val up to $precision decimal places away | | | from zero, when it is half way there. Making 1.5 | | | into 2 and -1.5 into -2. | | | | | | | |PHP_ROUND_HALF_DOWN | | | | | | | Round $val down to $precision decimal places | | | towards zero, when it is half way there. Making | | | 1.5 into 1 and -1.5 into -1. | | | | | | | |PHP_ROUND_HALF_EVEN | | | | | | | Round $val to $precision decimal places towards | | | the next even value. | | | | | | | |PHP_ROUND_HALF_ODD | | | | | | | Round $val to $precision decimal places towards | | | the next odd value. | | | | +--------------------+---------------------------------------------------+ RETURN VALUES
The rounded value EXAMPLES
Example #1 round(3) examples <?php echo round(3.4); // 3 echo round(3.5); // 4 echo round(3.6); // 4 echo round(3.6, 0); // 4 echo round(1.95583, 2); // 1.96 echo round(1241757, -3); // 1242000 echo round(5.045, 2); // 5.05 echo round(5.055, 2); // 5.06 ?> Example #2 $mode examples <?php echo round(9.5, 0, PHP_ROUND_HALF_UP); // 10 echo round(9.5, 0, PHP_ROUND_HALF_DOWN); // 9 echo round(9.5, 0, PHP_ROUND_HALF_EVEN); // 10 echo round(9.5, 0, PHP_ROUND_HALF_ODD); // 9 echo round(8.5, 0, PHP_ROUND_HALF_UP); // 9 echo round(8.5, 0, PHP_ROUND_HALF_DOWN); // 8 echo round(8.5, 0, PHP_ROUND_HALF_EVEN); // 8 echo round(8.5, 0, PHP_ROUND_HALF_ODD); // 9 ?> Example #3 $mode with precision examples <?php /* Using PHP_ROUND_HALF_UP with 1 decimal digit precision */ echo round( 1.55, 1, PHP_ROUND_HALF_UP); // 1.6 echo round( 1.54, 1, PHP_ROUND_HALF_UP); // 1.5 echo round(-1.55, 1, PHP_ROUND_HALF_UP); // -1.6 echo round(-1.54, 1, PHP_ROUND_HALF_UP); // -1.5 /* Using PHP_ROUND_HALF_DOWN with 1 decimal digit precision */ echo round( 1.55, 1, PHP_ROUND_HALF_DOWN); // 1.5 echo round( 1.54, 1, PHP_ROUND_HALF_DOWN); // 1.5 echo round(-1.55, 1, PHP_ROUND_HALF_DOWN); // -1.5 echo round(-1.54, 1, PHP_ROUND_HALF_DOWN); // -1.5 /* Using PHP_ROUND_HALF_EVEN with 1 decimal digit precision */ echo round( 1.55, 1, PHP_ROUND_HALF_EVEN); // 1.6 echo round( 1.54, 1, PHP_ROUND_HALF_EVEN); // 1.5 echo round(-1.55, 1, PHP_ROUND_HALF_EVEN); // -1.6 echo round(-1.54, 1, PHP_ROUND_HALF_EVEN); // -1.5 /* Using PHP_ROUND_HALF_ODD with 1 decimal digit precision */ echo round( 1.55, 1, PHP_ROUND_HALF_ODD); // 1.5 echo round( 1.54, 1, PHP_ROUND_HALF_ODD); // 1.5 echo round(-1.55, 1, PHP_ROUND_HALF_ODD); // -1.5 echo round(-1.54, 1, PHP_ROUND_HALF_ODD); // -1.5 ?> CHANGELOG
+--------+---------------------------------------------------+ |Version | | | | | | | Description | | | | +--------+---------------------------------------------------+ | 5.3.0 | | | | | | | The $mode parameter was introduced. | | | | | 5.2.7 | | | | | | | The inner workings of round(3) was changed to | | | conform to the C99 standard. | | | | +--------+---------------------------------------------------+ SEE ALSO
ceil(3), floor(3), number_format(3). PHP Documentation Group ROUND(3)