Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Gfs2 vs xfs vs ext4
Special Forums Hardware Filesystems, Disks and Memory Gfs2 vs xfs vs ext4 Post 302370830 by Corona688 on Thursday 12th of November 2009 01:55:30 PM
Old 11-12-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by king_hippo
We tried ext3 but it was just too slow
Large ext3 partitions can be slow to fsck, but aren't that bad in operation. It's also important to note that the default ext3 mount options are brain-dead for large, heavily-cached systems; for instance, a commit interval of 5 seconds is rather small, and the default 'ordered' writing mode is extremely safe but sometimes a bottleneck.

On the other hand ext3 is excellent at safety. I've seen ext3 recover from horrible abuse.

Quote:
I am not sure if ext4 is any faster or not.
ext4 is somewhat faster but the difference is not gigantic. Its fsck is much faster than ext3's for partitions larger than hundreds of gigs. I don't feel it's quite mature, though. Only time will tell if it's as reliable as ext3.

Another filesystem you might consider is xfs. It's fairly mature, and designed for huge, fast transfers...

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

Does Solaris support XFS filesytem?

Hi, Does solaris support the XFS file sytems? If so, how can I mount a shared directory from another machine (which is using XFS)? thanks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: orahi001
3 Replies

2. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

ext4 - ready for production system?

Gidday, Are you using ext4 for production system? Or is it better to opt for a more conservative strategy, like ext3 for instance? What are your experiences? Thanks in advance, Loïc. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Loic Domaigne
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

[XFS] How to use real-time subvolume

Hi! I created filesystem XFS on partition hda8 with subvolume real-time on partition hda5: mkfs.xfs -r rtdev=/dev/hda5 /dev/hda8 and i mounted it: mount -t xfs -o rtdev=/dev/hda5 /dev/hda8 /xfs But I don't know how can I use this partition hda5 with subvolume real-time. I don't know how to... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Cadi2108
3 Replies

4. Linux

GFS2 needed or not?

Hey everyone. I am in the process of setting up an iSCSI SAN to function as a log storage device for a number of servers. All of the initiators see the volume, and originally I formatted it with ext3 and went on my merry way. However after some research I'm having concerns that I should nuke the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: msarro
1 Replies

5. SuSE

iscsi network share + xfs

Hello, we got a MD3000i used as a network share between two servers (say A and B). The problem we are facing is that file/directories created by server A are not visible on server B (and viceversa). It's not a problem with permission (chmod 777 doesn't help). The MD3000i was at first used ony... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: neutrino
0 Replies

6. Red Hat

XFS - Custom Kernel or Module?

Hey everyone. I am going to be using XFS for a project coming up. We're running RHEL 5.5. Simply typing modprobe xfs works just fine. The kernel module loads without any issue. Is there any issue with doing this and inserting "modprobe xfs" into /etc/rc.modules? Is there a major reason to... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: msarro
0 Replies

7. Red Hat

Convert ext4 to ext3

Is there any way to conver ext4 to ext3 filesystem without formatting the partition/disk .. Had ext3 filesystem and had converted it to ext4 by issuing following command # tune2fs -O extents,uninit_bg,dir_index /dev/sda1 # fsck -pf /dev/sda1 # blkid /dev/sda1 /dev/sda1:... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Shirishlnx
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

VMWare,XFS and iSCSI issues!

I have a RHEL6 VM that requires the use of remote storage using iSCSI and XFS for the mount point. Here's the issue: With XFS you can't use the _netdev option for your mount point (pause for network) so my mount point doesn't mount properly because the network isn't up yet. I've moved the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ksfolsom
3 Replies
E2UNDO(8)						      System Manager's Manual							 E2UNDO(8)

NAME
e2undo - Replay an undo log for an ext2/ext3/ext4 filesystem SYNOPSIS
e2undo [ -f ] [ -h ] [ -n ] [ -o offset ] [ -v ] [ -z undo_file ] undo_log device DESCRIPTION
e2undo will replay the undo log undo_log for an ext2/ext3/ext4 filesystem found on device. This can be used to undo a failed operation by an e2fsprogs program. OPTIONS
-f Normally, e2undo will check the filesystem superblock to make sure the undo log matches with the filesystem on the device. If they do not match, e2undo will refuse to apply the undo log as a safety mechanism. The -f option disables this safety mechanism. -h Display a usage message. -n Dry-run; do not actually write blocks back to the filesystem. -o offset Specify the filesystem's offset (in bytes) from the beginning of the device or file. -v Report which block we're currently replaying. -z undo_file Before overwriting a file system block, write the old contents of the block to an undo file. This undo file can be used with e2undo(8) to restore the old contents of the file system should something go wrong. If the empty string is passed as the undo_file argument, the undo file will be written to a file named e2undo-device.e2undo in the directory specified via the E2FSPROGS_UNDO_DIR environment variable. WARNING: The undo file cannot be used to recover from a power or system crash. AUTHOR
e2undo was written by Aneesh Kumar K.V. (aneesh.kumar@linux.vnet.ibm.com) AVAILABILITY
e2undo is part of the e2fsprogs package and is available from http://e2fsprogs.sourceforge.net. SEE ALSO
mke2fs(8), tune2fs(8) E2fsprogs version 1.44.1 March 2018 E2UNDO(8)