Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How to check for special character in a value Post 302370677 by panyam on Thursday 12th of November 2009 05:39:09 AM
Old 11-12-2009
Did not work for me , might be the issue with the shell Smilie

how ever with out negate worked fine.

Code:
TES>var=1234; [ ! $(echo $var | grep "[^0-9]") ] && echo $var
sh: test: Specify a parameter with this command.

Code:
TES>var=1234a; [  $(echo $var | grep "[^0-9]") ] && echo $var
1234a

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

special character ?

hey there im a bit stuck on executing commands that include the special character '?'. can someone recommend a way on how i would be able to execute it?? i thought the glob function could be useful (still mite be) but upon entering the command 'ls pars?' it listed all the files in the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mile1982
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Special Character Check in Shell script

Hi, I'm currently working on a project that requires parsing xml file. One of the field in the xml is shown below (don't remember exactly): <variable="ITEM">12345678</variable> I coded my script keeping in mind that the value denoted in bold will always be a number. After getting just the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mradul_kaushik
1 Replies

3. AIX

check for a particular character inside a file and substitute with a given character?

i am a newbie to shell script,so i want a kshell script in which i need to check for a particular character inside a file through conditional looping(like if ,case,while)and if that character exists ,then substitute a given character to that character. consider a file test.txt,inside the file... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: karthikprasathk
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

special character

Hi, I am trying to unload file from a database. Which contains few lines with the character below. Rest of the data was unloaded appropriately. a) What does this below character means? b) How can i remove it, I already have sed '/^$/d' c) Will this effect the file by any means... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: tostay2003
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Special character in Diff

Hi I am comparing 2 files (using diff command) with numerical data in them. In the output file I want only the differences which are in file2 but not in file1. Although I am getting the diffences i am also getting special characters in the output file which i do not want. Can somebody help me For... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ashu_r2001
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Special character \

Hi, In the shell script, i need to remove the special charater "\" with "\\". For example, i need to replace "D:\FXT\ABC.TXT" with "D:\\FXT\\ABC.TXT". However, when trying to do something like , i get the below error :- -->echo "D:\FXT\ABC.TXT" | sed -e 's#\#\\#g' sed: 0602-404 Function... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: amit_arora
7 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Deleteing one character after an special character

I have below line in a unix file, I want to delete one character after "Â". 20091020.Non-Agency CMO Daily Trade Recap Â~V Hybrids The result should be : 20091020.Non-Agency CMO Daily Trade Recap  Hybrids i dont want to use "~V" anywhere in the sed command or any other command, just remove... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mohsin.quazi
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Vi special character

When editing a file, vi displays a special character as ^L. Can you tell me the escaped character to be used in awk? And can that escaped character be used in a regexp in both sed and awk? (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: dmesserly
7 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

What is the meaning the $ special character?

Hello... and thank you in advanced for any help anyone can offer me I'm hoping someone can explain what the leading $ is/means (i.e. $PS1, $HOME, etc).... I was having a discussion with someone and was trying to explain it... Which I felt like I came up kind of short with how well I did it. ... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: bodisha
12 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Special character $$

Hi, on ksh What does the following do? grep -v "toolbox" $home_oracle/.profile >$home_oracle/.profile.$$ Thanks. Please use CODE tags as required by forum rules! (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: big123456
3 Replies
INTVAL(3)								 1								 INTVAL(3)

intval - Get the integer value of a variable

SYNOPSIS
int intval (mixed $var, [int $base = 10]) DESCRIPTION
Returns the integer value of $var, using the specified $base for the conversion (the default is base 10). intval(3) should not be used on objects, as doing so will emit an E_NOTICE level error and return 1. PARAMETERS
o $var - The scalar value being converted to an integer o $base - The base for the conversion Note If $base is 0, the base used is determined by the format of $var: o if string includes a "0x" (or "0X") prefix, the base is taken as 16 (hex); otherwise, o if string starts with "0", the base is taken as 8 (octal); otherwise, o the base is taken as 10 (decimal). RETURN VALUES
The integer value of $var on success, or 0 on failure. Empty arrays return 0, non-empty arrays return 1. The maximum value depends on the system. 32 bit systems have a maximum signed integer range of -2147483648 to 2147483647. So for example on such a system, intval('1000000000000') will return 2147483647. The maximum signed integer value for 64 bit systems is 9223372036854775807. Strings will most likely return 0 although this depends on the leftmost characters of the string. The common rules of integer casting apply. EXAMPLES
Example #1 intval(3) examples The following examples are based on a 32 bit system. <?php echo intval(42); // 42 echo intval(4.2); // 4 echo intval('42'); // 42 echo intval('+42'); // 42 echo intval('-42'); // -42 echo intval(042); // 34 echo intval('042'); // 42 echo intval(1e10); // 1410065408 echo intval('1e10'); // 1 echo intval(0x1A); // 26 echo intval(42000000); // 42000000 echo intval(420000000000000000000); // 0 echo intval('420000000000000000000'); // 2147483647 echo intval(42, 8); // 42 echo intval('42', 8); // 34 echo intval(array()); // 0 echo intval(array('foo', 'bar')); // 1 ?> NOTES
Note The $base parameter has no effect unless the $var parameter is a string. CHANGELOG
+--------+---------------------------------------------------+ |Version | | | | | | | Description | | | | +--------+---------------------------------------------------+ | 5.1.0 | | | | | | | Throws E_NOTICE and returns 1, when an object is | | | passed to $var. | | | | +--------+---------------------------------------------------+ SEE ALSO
boolval(3), floatval(3), strval(3), settype(3), is_numeric(3), Type juggling, BCMath Arbitrary Precision Mathematics Functions. PHP Documentation Group INTVAL(3)