Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How to define a variable with variable definition is stored in a variable? Post 302370633 by Scrutinizer on Thursday 12th of November 2009 03:39:26 AM
Old 11-12-2009
Code:
eval $var1

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Using Grep to Define a Variable

I am using korn shell unix. I have a script that I am working with to do a check for me using a text file. #finds "Time" from the text file and cuts the second field from the #line A= grep Time test.txt | cut -f2 # the "#Missing" is being pulled from the second field of the text... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cspcspcsp
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

define length of variable

I have a variable with a value of "05". When I add one to that variable, using the command: CURR_YY=`expr $CURR_YY + 1`, I get the value of "6", losing the leading zero (which is needed for passing to another script). How do I keep the leading zero? Thank you! (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: cbarker
10 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

What wrong with the variable definition

i am using the below script and trying to move files in that directory in that pattern to archive. But it doesn;t seem to take the metacharacters. Please sugggest. Code Debug output: (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dsravan
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Variable not found error for a variable which is returned from stored procedure

can anyone please help me with this: i have written a shell script and a stored procedure which has one OUT parameter. now i want to use that out parameter as an input to the unix script but i am getting an error as variable not found. below are the unix scripts and stored procedure... ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: swap21783
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

question about define variable.

Hi, Unix Gurus, In our existing file, there is a script like #!/bin/sh step=${1:-0} cur_step=10 if ... My question is what's "${1:-0}" mean? I know it defines a variable but I don't know what's (1:-0) mean? :wall: Thanks in advance. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ken002
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Define variable from file.

HI I have file A.txt _1A _2A _3A _4A I want define all as different variable. $1A=_1A $2B=_2A $3C=_3A $4D=_4A Now i can use any variable in my script. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pareshkp
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Getting value of variable whose name is stored in another variable

Unix OS : Linux 2.6x Shell type : Korn I am stuck in weird problem . In my shell script I am setting an environment variable using the following command : EMP="KUMARJIT"; export EMP In the following sections of the script , what I did is : I created and initialized a new shell variable "type"... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: kumarjt
5 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Variable definition

Hi all, I'm bit new to the advanced bash shell scripting. When I'm looking at some of the existing code in my organization, got confused with a few variable definings. For ex: var1={1:-30} var2="abc def ghi" var3={xyz:-$var2} In above, 1st and last lines are confusing me.... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: raghu.iv85
4 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Environment variable definition

I'm a bit confused about the term ‘environment variables'. Within your shell you can set two types of variables: 1. Shell variable - affecting functionality within your shell 2. User defined variable When using the ‘export' command on a variable you make sure it's being inherited by new sub... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: niels
2 Replies
VAR_EXPORT(3)								 1							     VAR_EXPORT(3)

var_export - Outputs or returns a parsable string representation of a variable

SYNOPSIS
mixed var_export (mixed $expression, [bool $return = false]) DESCRIPTION
var_export(3) gets structured information about the given variable. It is similar to var_dump(3) with one exception: the returned represen- tation is valid PHP code. PARAMETERS
o $expression - The variable you want to export. o $return - If used and set to TRUE, var_export(3) will return the variable representation instead of outputting it. RETURN VALUES
Returns the variable representation when the $return parameter is used and evaluates to TRUE. Otherwise, this function will return NULL. NOTES
Note When the $return parameter is used, this function uses internal output buffering so it cannot be used inside an ob_start(3) callback function. CHANGELOG
+--------+---------------------------------------------------+ |Version | | | | | | | Description | | | | +--------+---------------------------------------------------+ | 5.1.0 | | | | | | | Possibility to export classes and arrays con- | | | taining classes using the __set_state() magic | | | method. | | | | +--------+---------------------------------------------------+ EXAMPLES
Example #1 var_export(3) Examples <?php $a = array (1, 2, array ("a", "b", "c")); var_export($a); ?> The above example will output: array ( 0 => 1, 1 => 2, 2 => array ( 0 => 'a', 1 => 'b', 2 => 'c', ), ) <?php $b = 3.1; $v = var_export($b, true); echo $v; ?> The above example will output: 3.1 Example #2 Exporting classes since PHP 5.1.0 <?php class A { public $var; } $a = new A; $a->var = 5; var_export($a); ?> The above example will output: A::__set_state(array( 'var' => 5, )) Example #3 Using __set_state() (since PHP 5.1.0) <?php class A { public $var1; public $var2; public static function __set_state($an_array) { $obj = new A; $obj->var1 = $an_array['var1']; $obj->var2 = $an_array['var2']; return $obj; } } $a = new A; $a->var1 = 5; $a->var2 = 'foo'; eval('$b = ' . var_export($a, true) . ';'); // $b = A::__set_state(array( // 'var1' => 5, // 'var2' => 'foo', // )); var_dump($b); ?> The above example will output: object(A)#2 (2) { ["var1"]=> int(5) ["var2"]=> string(3) "foo" } NOTES
Note Variables of type resource couldn't be exported by this function. Note var_export(3) does not handle circular references as it would be close to impossible to generate parsable PHP code for that. If you want to do something with the full representation of an array or object, use serialize(3). Warning When var_export(3) exports objects, the leading backslash is not included in the class name of namespaced classes for maximum com- patibility. SEE ALSO
print_r(3), serialize(3), var_dump(3). PHP Documentation Group VAR_EXPORT(3)