Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How to define a variable with variable definition is stored in a variable? Post 302370633 by Scrutinizer on Thursday 12th of November 2009 03:39:26 AM
Old 11-12-2009
Code:
eval $var1

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Using Grep to Define a Variable

I am using korn shell unix. I have a script that I am working with to do a check for me using a text file. #finds "Time" from the text file and cuts the second field from the #line A= grep Time test.txt | cut -f2 # the "#Missing" is being pulled from the second field of the text... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cspcspcsp
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

define length of variable

I have a variable with a value of "05". When I add one to that variable, using the command: CURR_YY=`expr $CURR_YY + 1`, I get the value of "6", losing the leading zero (which is needed for passing to another script). How do I keep the leading zero? Thank you! (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: cbarker
10 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

What wrong with the variable definition

i am using the below script and trying to move files in that directory in that pattern to archive. But it doesn;t seem to take the metacharacters. Please sugggest. Code Debug output: (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dsravan
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Variable not found error for a variable which is returned from stored procedure

can anyone please help me with this: i have written a shell script and a stored procedure which has one OUT parameter. now i want to use that out parameter as an input to the unix script but i am getting an error as variable not found. below are the unix scripts and stored procedure... ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: swap21783
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

question about define variable.

Hi, Unix Gurus, In our existing file, there is a script like #!/bin/sh step=${1:-0} cur_step=10 if ... My question is what's "${1:-0}" mean? I know it defines a variable but I don't know what's (1:-0) mean? :wall: Thanks in advance. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ken002
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Define variable from file.

HI I have file A.txt _1A _2A _3A _4A I want define all as different variable. $1A=_1A $2B=_2A $3C=_3A $4D=_4A Now i can use any variable in my script. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pareshkp
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Getting value of variable whose name is stored in another variable

Unix OS : Linux 2.6x Shell type : Korn I am stuck in weird problem . In my shell script I am setting an environment variable using the following command : EMP="KUMARJIT"; export EMP In the following sections of the script , what I did is : I created and initialized a new shell variable "type"... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: kumarjt
5 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Variable definition

Hi all, I'm bit new to the advanced bash shell scripting. When I'm looking at some of the existing code in my organization, got confused with a few variable definings. For ex: var1={1:-30} var2="abc def ghi" var3={xyz:-$var2} In above, 1st and last lines are confusing me.... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: raghu.iv85
4 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Environment variable definition

I'm a bit confused about the term ‘environment variables'. Within your shell you can set two types of variables: 1. Shell variable - affecting functionality within your shell 2. User defined variable When using the ‘export' command on a variable you make sure it's being inherited by new sub... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: niels
2 Replies
LIST(3) 								 1								   LIST(3)

list - Assign variables as if they were an array

SYNOPSIS
array list (mixed $var1, [mixed $...]) DESCRIPTION
Like array(3), this is not really a function, but a language construct. list(3) is used to assign a list of variables in one operation. PARAMETERS
o $var1 - A variable. RETURN VALUES
Returns the assigned array. EXAMPLES
Example #1 list(3) examples <?php $info = array('coffee', 'brown', 'caffeine'); // Listing all the variables list($drink, $color, $power) = $info; echo "$drink is $color and $power makes it special. "; // Listing some of them list($drink, , $power) = $info; echo "$drink has $power. "; // Or let's skip to only the third one list( , , $power) = $info; echo "I need $power! "; // list() doesn't work with strings list($bar) = "abcde"; var_dump($bar); // NULL ?> Example #2 An example use of list(3) <table> <tr> <th>Employee name</th> <th>Salary</th> </tr> <?php $result = $pdo->query("SELECT id, name, salary FROM employees"); while (list($id, $name, $salary) = $result->fetch(PDO::FETCH_NUM)) { echo " <tr> " . " <td><a href="info.php?id=$id">$name</a></td> " . " <td>$salary</td> " . " </tr> "; } ?> </table> Example #3 Using nested list(3) <?php list($a, list($b, $c)) = array(1, array(2, 3)); var_dump($a, $b, $c); ?> int(1) int(2) int(3) Example #4 Using list(3) with array indices <?php $info = array('coffee', 'brown', 'caffeine'); list($a[0], $a[1], $a[2]) = $info; var_dump($a); ?> Gives the following output (note the order of the elements compared in which order they were written in the list(3) syntax): array(3) { [2]=> string(8) "caffeine" [1]=> string(5) "brown" [0]=> string(6) "coffee" } NOTES
Warning list(3) assigns the values starting with the right-most parameter. If you are using plain variables, you don't have to worry about this. But if you are using arrays with indices you usually expect the order of the indices in the array the same you wrote in the list(3) from left to right; which it isn't. It's assigned in the reverse order. Warning Modification of the array during list(3) execution (e.g. using list($a, $b) = $b) results in undefined behavior. Note list(3) only works on numerical arrays and assumes the numerical indices start at 0. SEE ALSO
each(3), array(3), extract(3). PHP Documentation Group LIST(3)