Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris User with limited access to one directory Post 302370618 by thegeek on Thursday 12th of November 2009 02:53:16 AM
Old 11-12-2009
this should be the default thing already.... that is.

if you create a home dir john as /home/john, make him as owner and give all permission... he will not be able to do anything with /home/tom or /home/jerry. ( make the permissions appropriately at tom & jerry )

He can manipulate anything under /home/john. are you looking for this -- read about chmod, chown.

if something else -- explain that ?

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

How to create a new ftp user account with limited access..?

Hi All, I'm using solaris 2.8, and I want create a new ftp user account with the following restrictions: - Have only ftp access, no telnet or rlogin - Have restricted access to its home directory example /export/home/newuser - Deny access to any other directory. Thanks for your help, ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jeremy3
6 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Restrict FTP access to a single directory for only one user.

Hi All, It will be very great if you can help me in this issue. Thanks in advance. I need to enable FTP on a solaris9 server. I need to create a new user some "xxxxxx" and he can only FTP the files to and from between /tftpboot directory and network devices. Other users should not... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: santhoshkumar_d
8 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

user with limited access

dear guys, sorry for asking a noob :p question, tried to search the forum for an answer but couldn't find one, i am running solaris 10 and i would like to create a user with limited access to view only one directory, the directory already exist, is this possible:confused:? thanks and regards (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: q8devilish
4 Replies

4. Solaris

create user with RWX access to a specific directory in Solaris 10

I need to create a user account for a developer that will allow him rwx access to all resources in a directory. How can I do that? Thanks (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: gsander
5 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

new userid with limited access

Hi, I want to create a user using useradd -m test. But my requirement is he should not change his directory from Home directory. How can I restric the user not to change his directory from his home dir? Thanks, Suresh Double Post (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: suresh3566
0 Replies

6. Solaris

Limit FTP user's access to a specific directory

Hi, I have searched "Limit FTP user's access to a specific directory" subject for 3 days. I found proftp and vsftp but i couldn't compile and install. Is there any idea. Please suggest. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: hamurd
6 Replies

7. Solaris

Limit bash/sh user's access to a specific directory

Hello Team, I have Solaris 10 u6 I have a user test1 using bash that belong to the group staff. I would like to restrict this user to navigate only in his home directory and his subfolders but not not move out to other directories. How can I do it ? Thanks in advance (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: csierra
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Linux sftp — how to add new user to access exist directory with write permission?

I have built a website and I can access and edit the website'files on server via the root user. The current file and directory structures are not changeable. Now I am hiring a webpage designer to help me re-design some pages, I am going to let the designer edit the files directly on the server. So... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: uwo-g-xw
5 Replies
GIT-SHELL(1)							    Git Manual							      GIT-SHELL(1)

NAME
git-shell - Restricted login shell for Git-only SSH access SYNOPSIS
chsh -s $(command -v git-shell) <user> git clone <user>@localhost:/path/to/repo.git ssh <user>@localhost DESCRIPTION
This is a login shell for SSH accounts to provide restricted Git access. It permits execution only of server-side Git commands implementing the pull/push functionality, plus custom commands present in a subdirectory named git-shell-commands in the user's home directory. COMMANDS
git shell accepts the following commands after the -c option: git receive-pack <argument>, git upload-pack <argument>, git upload-archive <argument> Call the corresponding server-side command to support the client's git push, git fetch, or git archive --remote request. cvs server Imitate a CVS server. See git-cvsserver(1). If a ~/git-shell-commands directory is present, git shell will also handle other, custom commands by running "git-shell-commands/<command> <arguments>" from the user's home directory. INTERACTIVE USE
By default, the commands above can be executed only with the -c option; the shell is not interactive. If a ~/git-shell-commands directory is present, git shell can also be run interactively (with no arguments). If a help command is present in the git-shell-commands directory, it is run to provide the user with an overview of allowed actions. Then a "git> " prompt is presented at which one can enter any of the commands from the git-shell-commands directory, or exit to close the connection. Generally this mode is used as an administrative interface to allow users to list repositories they have access to, create, delete, or rename repositories, or change repository descriptions and permissions. If a no-interactive-login command exists, then it is run and the interactive shell is aborted. EXAMPLE
To disable interactive logins, displaying a greeting instead: $ chsh -s /usr/bin/git-shell $ mkdir $HOME/git-shell-commands $ cat >$HOME/git-shell-commands/no-interactive-login <<EOF #!/bin/sh printf '%s ' "Hi $USER! You've successfully authenticated, but I do not" printf '%s ' "provide interactive shell access." exit 128 EOF $ chmod +x $HOME/git-shell-commands/no-interactive-login To enable git-cvsserver access (which should generally have the no-interactive-login example above as a prerequisite, as creating the git-shell-commands directory allows interactive logins): $ cat >$HOME/git-shell-commands/cvs <<EOF if ! test $# = 1 && test "$1" = "server" then echo >&2 "git-cvsserver only handles "server"" exit 1 fi exec git cvsserver server EOF $ chmod +x $HOME/git-shell-commands/cvs SEE ALSO
ssh(1), git-daemon(1), contrib/git-shell-commands/README GIT
Part of the git(1) suite Git 2.17.1 10/05/2018 GIT-SHELL(1)