Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: ifconfig , ifdown, ifup
Operating Systems Linux Red Hat ifconfig , ifdown, ifup Post 302370582 by dplinux on Thursday 12th of November 2009 12:23:39 AM
Old 11-12-2009
ifconfig , ifdown, ifup

hi there

the ethernet wire was out of the pc when the system started.

Code:
#ifconfig
#ifconfig -a

i did not get any ip for eth0.
i plug the cable into the pc

Code:
#ifdown eth0
#ifup eth0

now the ip address is assigned to eth0

Question is : IS this right way to bring ethernet down and then bring up in case of any problem with NIC?

thanks

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

ifconfig

I am trying to change an IP address on a machine running HPUX10 After I change it I can ping it from the outside but it completely locks the console. After a reboot it returns back to its previous IP. Any ideas?? Thanks Brian (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: breigner
7 Replies

2. OS X (Apple)

ifconfig

Hi, I type (as root) "ifconfig en1 ether aa:aa: " but it doesnt change the mac of my airport. Can anyone help me? Thx. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jariya
0 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

ifconfig!!!!

why the ifconfig command is not working in my machine? it says "-bash: ifconfig: command not found" why its says that? actually i m looking for "how can I know the Network Interface Card physical address?" Requesting u all for help. thanks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: moco
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

When is 'ifup' really done?

I have been looking in the scripts for interface management, in an effort to kick off a script of my own on any "significant network event" (I will qualify that in a bit) I managed to add a check to tell netplugd to run my script every time there is a hot-plug event. Now I need to make it so my... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: jjinno
0 Replies

5. IP Networking

/etc/hosts changes when ifconfig......

Hello everyone. Im using last redhat enterprise edition and in my working environment, i'm always reconfiguring both interfaces , eth0 and eth1, everytime i change any interface, (i use ifconfig to change ip, and after i execute "/etc/init.d/network restart") my "/etc/hosts" file... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: trutoman
9 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

I have a little script in the /etc/network/if-up.d (debian). It should do something and write the output to a log file. But it doesn't seem to work. ifup wlan0 dosomething >> /var/log/dosomething.log I would like to add the date to the output, can somebody help me please? Thanks! (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: borobudur
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

not able to run ifconfig

Unable to run the ifconfig in my home dir.. I did add adding /sbin and /usr/sbin in th PATH But still unable to get that .. Am using red hat linux cat /etc/redhat-release Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server release 5.3 (Tikanga) (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mail2sant
3 Replies

8. Solaris

Ifconfig command ?

What would be the command to remove the IP address from an interface? I want to remove the ip from this interface: ce3: flags=1000803<UP,BROADCAST,MULTICAST,IPv4> mtu 1500 index 5 inet 155.216.13.74 netmask fffffff0 broadcast 155.216.13.79 ether 0:3:ba:da:a6:96 (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Kjons76
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

ifdown not executed

I have a binary that runs ifdown (to bring down wireless interface). When i run it from php, it is not being run. Is it because the Apache server (php) is run as non-root user? Need Help! :confused: How can i fix this problem? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: xerox
1 Replies

10. Red Hat

Dual NICs - When I 'ifup eth1' it replaces eth0

I've got an issue with a VMWare server running RHEL 6.3 that has dual E1000 NICs. I have configured the cards as I would normally do in /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts as ifcfg-eth0 and ifcfg-eth1. I can execute ifup eth0 and bring the interface up quite happily, however when I execute ifup eth1 it... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: phaedrus
2 Replies
EDSC(4) 						   BSD Kernel Interfaces Manual 						   EDSC(4)

NAME
edsc -- Ethernet discard network interface SYNOPSIS
device edsc DESCRIPTION
The edsc interface is a software discard mechanism which may be used for performance analysis and software testing. It imitates an Ethernet device, which allows for its use in conjunction with such drivers as if_bridge(4) and vlan(4). As with other network interfaces, an edsc interface must have network addresses assigned for each address family with which it is to be used. These addresses may be set or changed with the SIOCSIFADDR ioctl(2) or ifconfig(8) utility. Each edsc interface is created at runtime using interface cloning. This is most easily done with the ifconfig(8) create command or using the cloned_interfaces variable in rc.conf(5). SEE ALSO
ioctl(2), arp(4), if_bridge(4), inet(4), intro(4), vlan(4), rc.conf(5), arp(8), ifconfig(8) HISTORY
The edsc device was derived from the disc(4) device and first appeared in FreeBSD 6.3. This manpage was adapted from disc(4). CAVEATS
Since outgoing packets are just discarded by edsc, ARP requests stay unreplied. Consequently, an IP packet cannot be sent via edsc until a static arp(4) entry is created for its next hop using arp(8). Initially an edsc interface has a zero link level address. It can be changed with ifconfig(8) lladdr if needed. BSD
March 25, 2007 BSD