Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How can i break a text file into parts that occur between a specific pattern Post 302370417 by abhinav192 on Wednesday 11th of November 2009 09:44:17 AM
Old 11-11-2009
thanks franklin....

Great help...

I being new dont understand the script you wrote...

Can you please explain a bit... or send a mail .. my mail id is

Last edited by Franklin52; 11-11-2009 at 10:46 AM.. Reason: email address removed, no answer by email

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

to break a file into 2 files after matching a pattern.

Hi, i need to break a file into 2 files afetr matching a pattern for ex. there is a fil, file .txt which contains here i need to look for mat $ demon if it matches then i need to transfer the data into another file till the line in which a "d6s" comes,and i have to delete tat line... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: manit
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help with copying specific parts of a file structure

Hello. I need help with copying part of a file structure to another directory while still keeping the structure. For example look below: ../folder1/sub1/txt.txt ../folder1/sub2/pic.png ../folder2/sub1/pic.png ../folder2/sub2/txt.txt So in this I would like to copy only the directories and... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: the
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with remove last text of a file that have specific pattern

Input file matrix-remodelling_associated_8_ aurora_interacting_1_ L20 von_factor_A_domain_1 ATP_containing_3B_ . . Output file matrix-remodelling_associated_8 aurora_interacting_1 L20 von_factor_A_domain_1 ATP_containing_3B . . (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: perl_beginner
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

[ask]break line number into several parts

hlow all, i have file with wc -l file.txt is 3412112 line number so I want to break these files into several parts with assumsi line 1-1000000 will be create part1.txt and 1000001-2000000 will create part2.txt and 2000001-3000000 will create part3.txt and 3000001-3412112 will create... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: zvtral
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

how do I break line in a file when a pattern is matched ?

Hi All, I am stuck for quite sometime now. Below is a line in my file - GS|ED|001075|001081|20110626|1806|100803|X|004010ST|130|100803001 This line occurs only once and it is the second line. I have to break this line into two lines from ST (bold) such that it looks like -... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ihussain
5 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help with deleting some parts from text file

Hi all, I have a fat file which contains something like this: ************************************************ blahblahblah blahblahblah Myobject1 HOME ( homecontents01 ( some junk; ) home contents02( some junk; ) ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: newboy
7 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Delete specific parts in a .txt file

Hi all, I desperately need a small script which deletes everything in a particular .txt file when "Abs = {" appears till "},", and also when "B-1 = {" appears till "}," I would like all the text in between of those instances to be deleted, however, other text to be unedited (kept as it is).... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: c_lady
12 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract specific line in an html file starting and ending with specific pattern to a text file

Hi This is my first post and I'm just a beginner. So please be nice to me. I have a couple of html files where a pattern beginning with "http://www.site.com" and ending with "/resource.dat" is present on every 241st line. How do I extract this to a new text file? I have tried sed -n 241,241p... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: dejavo
13 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Match all lines in file where specific text pattern is less than

In the below file I am trying to grep or similar, all lines where only AF= is less than 0.4.. Thank you :). grep grep "AF=" ,+ .4 file file 12 112036782 . T C 34.0248 PASS ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Rename text file with a specific pattern in directory

I am trying to rename all text files in a directory that match a pattern. The current command below seems to be using the directory path in the name and since it already exists, will not do the rename. I am not sure what I am missing? Thank you :). Files to rename in... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
3 Replies
mhmail(1)						      General Commands Manual							 mhmail(1)

NAME
mhmail - send or read mail (only available within the message handling system, mh) SYNOPSIS
mhmail [addrs...] [options] OPTIONS
Specifies the text of the message. If it is specified, then the standard input is not read. Specifies addresses to be placed in the cc: field of the message. Specifies the content of the From: header of the draft. The address given is placed in the From: field of the mes- sage. The Sender: field is filled in correctly by post. Prints a list of the valid options for this command. Specifies the mail system over which mail is sent. The only value allowed is smtp, which is the standard mail system. Additional values are supported only for use with other mail systems. Provides the text of the Subject: field of the message. DESCRIPTION
The mhmail program is intended as a replacement for the standard mail programs, bellmail and ucbmail. See binmail(1) and mail(1) for more details of these mail programs. When invoked without arguments, it simply invokes inc to incorporate new messages from the user's maildrop. When one or more users is specified, a message is read from the standard input and spooled to a temporary file. The mhmail program then invokes post with the name of the temporary file as its argument to deliver the message to the specified user. Normally, people will use comp and send to send messages. RESTRICTIONS
Messages with a null body part will not be sent by mhmail. You must include some body text in all messages to be sent by mhmail. For this version, the -mts option only supports the value smtp. Additional values are supported for use only with other mail systems. FILES
Program to incorporate a maildrop into a folder. Program to deliver a message. Temporary copy of message. SEE ALSO
inc(1), post(8) mhmail(1)