Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting joining multiple files into one while putting the filename in the file Post 302369222 by phil_heath on Saturday 7th of November 2009 12:15:13 AM
Old 11-07-2009
thats perfect!

thanks

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Joining files based on multiple keys

I need a script (perl or awk..anything is fine) to join 3 files based on three key columns. The no of non-key columns can vary in each file. The columns are delimited by semicolon. For example, File1 Dim1;Dim2;Dim3;Fact1;Fact2;Fact3;Fact4;Fact5 ---- data delimited by semicolon --- ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Sebben
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to redirect the output to multiple files without putting on console

How to redirect the output to multiple files without putting on console I tried tee but it writes to STDOUT , which I do not want. Test.sh ------------------ #!/bin/ksh echo "Hello " tee -a file1 file2 ---------------------------- $>./Test.sh $> Expected output: -------------------... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: prashant43
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

JOINING MULTIPLE LINES IN A TEXT FILE USING GAWK

sir... am having a data file of customer master., containing some important fields as a set one line after another., what i want is to have one set of these fields(rows) one after another in line.........then the second set... and so on... till the last set completed. I WANT THE DATA... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: KANNI786
0 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Joining string on multiple files

Hi guys, I am a forum (and a bit of a unix) newbie, and I currently have a tricky problem lying ahead of me. I have multiple files, and I am looking to join the files on the first column. Example: File 1 andy b 100 amy c 200 amy d 300 File 2 andy c 200 amy c 100 clyde o 50 ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jdr0317
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Joining multiple files based on one column with different and similar values (shell or perl)

Hi, I have nine files looking similar to file1 & file2 below. File1: 1 ABCA1 1 ABCC8 1 ABR:N 1 ACACB 1 ACAP2 1 ACOT1 1 ACSBG 1 ACTR1 1 ACTRT 1 ADAMT 1 AEN:N 1 AKAP1File2: 1 A4GAL 1 ACTBL 1 ACTL7 (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: seqbiologist
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Other alternative for joining together columns from multiple files

Hi again, I have monthly one-column files of roughly around 10 years. Is there a more efficient way to concatenate these files column-wise other than using paste command? For instance: file1.txt 12 13 15 12 file2.txt 14 15 18 19 file3.txt 20 21 (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: ida1215
8 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Adding filename and line number from multiple files to final file

Hi all, I have 20 files (file001.txt upto file020.txt) and I want to read them from 3rd line upto end of file (line 1002). But in the final file they should appear to start from line 1. I need following kind of output in a single file: Filename Line number 2ndcolumn 4thcolumn I... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: bioinfo
14 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Joining different columns from multiple files

Hello again, I am trying to join 3rd column of 3 files into the end on one file and save it separately... my data looks like this file 1 Bob, Green, 80 Mark, Brown, 70 Tina, Smith, 60 file 2 Bob, Green, 70 Mark, Brown, 60 Tina, Smith, 50 file 3 Bob, Green, 50 Mark, Brown,60 Tina,... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: A-V
6 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Putting $$ before filename

Hello , I am searching a directory for a file and have to assign the filename to a variable . The variable must have form $$filename So my code is echo "'$$filename='`ls -lrt *PreMatch*.csv| head -1 | nawk '{print $9}'`" however $$ is converting to a number . How could I make it $$... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Pratik4891
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

CSV joining and checking multiple files

Hello, For our work we use several scripts to gather/combine data for use in our webshop. Untill now we did not had any problems but since a couple days we noticed some mismatches between imports. It happened that several barcodes where matched even though it was a complete other product. Of... (19 Replies)
Discussion started by: SDohmen
19 Replies
MTAIL(1)							   User Commands							  MTAIL(1)

NAME
mtail - tail variant designed for web developers monitoring logfiles SYNOPSIS
mtail [options] <file>... DESCRIPTION
MonkeyTail allows a user to tail multiple files on both local and remote hosts and clearly marks inactivity by putting 5 newlines in the output whenever a pause in output over 3 seconds is detected. MonkeyTail is implemented a fairly simple wrapper script around standard tail, ssh, and sudo. OPTIONS
-q Quiet mode --quiet " " -n Output the last N lines of each file before tailing (defaults to 0) <file>... Files to tail. These can specified in the following ways: @<groupname> - expands the group (from .mtailrc) to a list of files to tail <filename> - tails a local file. +<filename> - attempts to sudo and tail a local file (will prompt for pwd if required). <remotehost>:<filename> - attempts to invoke tail via ssh on a remote host. +<remotehost>:<filename> - attempts to invoke sudo tail via ssh on a remote host (will prompt for pwd if required). SEE ALSO
mtailrc(5), tail(1) AUTHOR
Martyn Smith <martyn@dollyfish.net.nz> mtail May 2008 MTAIL(1)