Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris Command to redirect console to my tty? Post 302369156 by jlliagre on Friday 6th of November 2009 04:34:10 PM
Old 11-06-2009
Your application should use the logger facility instead of directly accessing the console. Anyway, if your application has the /dev/console steadily open, you can figure out what file descriptor it is using using pfiles:
Code:
pfiles $(pgrep application-name)

The console file descriptor (here 22) should appear this way:
Code:
  22: S_IFCHR mode:0620 dev:323,0 ino:4 uid:10001 gid:7 rdev:0,0
      O_WRONLY|O_CREAT|O_TRUNC|O_LARGEFILE
      /devices/pseudo/cn@0:console

then use truss to display what is written there like this:
Code:
truss -f -w 22 -t !all -p pid

with pid being your application process id.

If that doesn't work, say because /dev/console is open and close immediately, an alternate and interesting way would be using dtrace.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

stdin not tty when try to pine or redirect

My supervisor keep getting "stdin not tty" or something like that when he pipe or redirect input into a program. Others don't seem to get this message. Is there some way I can help him to fix or turn this off? Thx in advance (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Micz
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Send console message to all users and tty

Hi people, i tried to search in the forum... but didnt found the answer... Sometimes i need to send a console message to all users in all tty, like reboot or shutdown does... But i cant find how to do that. Someone know? Thanks a lot (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gfca
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

console redirect of progress bar

I'm trying to write a python wrapper around wget to show the progress bar on a gui application. Wget gives you a progress bar on command line, but how would I pipe that to some "tty" that's really just a variable I read, or am I going about it all wrong? When I try to just redirect the output to a... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: unclecameron
1 Replies

4. AIX

Difference between tty and console devices ?

Hi, What is the diference between these two ? thanks Vilius (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vilius
3 Replies

5. Solaris

console redirect on dl365

anyone have any success with redirecting the console running sol10 x86 on a hp dl365? (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: pupp
0 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to redirect the output to multiple files without putting on console

How to redirect the output to multiple files without putting on console I tried tee but it writes to STDOUT , which I do not want. Test.sh ------------------ #!/bin/ksh echo "Hello " tee -a file1 file2 ---------------------------- $>./Test.sh $> Expected output: -------------------... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: prashant43
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to redirect the output of a cvs command to a file as well as the console.

Hi can anyone tell me how to redirect the ouput of a cvs command to a file as well as the console? i tried using cvs add <filename> | tee logFile cvs add <filename> 2>logFile 2>&1 All i could get is only on console or on file. Please help Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ankitag2010
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Redirect an output from a script to a file and display it at a console simultaneously

Hi, I'd like to redirect the STDOUT output from my script to a file and simultaneously display it at a console. I've tried this command: myscript.sh | tail -f However, it doesn't end after the script finishes running I've also tried this: myscript.sh | tee ~/results.txt But it writes... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: wenclu
3 Replies

9. AIX

Console redirect to xmanager in AIX ?

Hello, Oracle PDF reports run only when you run the command # xhost + from the console, but if you run from the xmanager session , then report doesn't work running from windows pc using xmanager # xhost + access control disabled, clients can connect from any host # echo... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: filosophizer
7 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to redirect the messages from the script to console in Linux?

msg.sh #!/bin/bash if then echo "starting service" else echo " service not started" echo " Please check the start.sh file or manuly start the service" fi if i login with root credentials @12.36.34.123 with passwd username:root passwd:abc once i login into linux pc... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: saku
6 Replies
CONSCONTROL(8)						    BSD System Manager's Manual 					    CONSCONTROL(8)

NAME
conscontrol -- control physical console devices SYNOPSIS
conscontrol [list] conscontrol mute on | off conscontrol add | delete console conscontrol set | unset console DESCRIPTION
The conscontrol utility is used to examine and modify the physical devices which back the virtual console devices. If no arguments (or only the list command) are specified, the current console settings are shown. There are two types of logical consoles; a high level console which is represented by /dev/console, and a low level console. The low level console is used for kernel printf(9) and ddb(4) debugger support, while the high level console is used by user programs like syslogd(8). Multiple device support is implemented only for the low level console; the high level console is set to the first device in the console list. Multiple console support may be invoked by passing the kernel the -D flag from the boot loader, or by using conscontrol to change the list of console devices after the system has booted. The following options are available: add | delete console Add or delete a physical device from the logical console. The device must support low-level console operations. Adding a device will place it at the front of the list of console devices; the first device is used for the high level console. The console argument is the name of a console device in /dev; the name of the directory may be omitted. mute on | off Change the state of console muting. All console output is suppressed when console muting is on. set | unset console Set or unset the virtual console. When unset, output from the system, such as the kernel printf(9), always goes out to the real main console. When set, it goes to another. This is an interface to the tty ioctl TIOCCONS. SEE ALSO
sio(4), syscons(4), tty(4), vt(4), boot(8), loader(8) HISTORY
The conscontrol utility first appeared in FreeBSD 5.0. AUTHORS
Jonathan Lemon BSD
April 14, 2011 BSD