Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Problem with Input Parameters using Shell Script Post 302369022 by methyl on Friday 6th of November 2009 09:04:11 AM
Old 11-06-2009
Further to Scrutinizer.

Quote:
for f in $*
Should be
Code:
for f in ${p1}

Note: The "for" statement will break for large numbers of files if the expanded "for" line exceeds the maximum length of a command allowed in your shell. It will also break if a filename contains space characters.
A while loop is preferred for long lists.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

DB2 stored procedure (with input parameters) from script

I have a db2 stored procedure on my database which require 3 parameters, I have the following db2 command in a sql script CONNECT TO SAMPLE; CALL BACKUP(INPUT_1, INPUT_2, INPUT3); Usually, I would just invoke this sql script from my shell script like below db2 -tf... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mpang_
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem with script not able to take parameters passed to it

when I pass any 2 parameters it always says: Number of parameters passed: 1 and the job_name as x Can some body help? (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: dsravan
7 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

(Problem) Script with Parameters file

Hello, this is my first post, and.... obviusly, i have a problem, i have this script: #!/bin/sh . /tmp/variables ... ... DESTINATION=`hostname`_DESTINATION ... and the /tmp/variables has: #!/bin/sh aix53_DESTINATION="/temporal/`hostname`.mksysb.`date +\%d\%m\%y`" ** The problem is... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pelado
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Capturing Input Parameters on Shell Script

i have this basic line of code that doesn't work. i simply want to get the input parameter strings but when the script is run it appears that the first parameter is assigning the value to the second parameter. #!/bin/sh pdir=`pwd` p1=$1 p2=$2 echo "directory: $pdir\n" echo "parameter... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: wtolentino
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

problem with Regular expression as input in shell script

Hi, I have script which will take a string as input and search in a file. But when I want to search a pattern which has special characters script is ignoring it. For example: I want to search a pattern "\.tumblr\.com". shell script is removing \ (backslah) and trying to search... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Anjan1
7 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem with Input parameters

Hi, I am facing a weird problem with input parameters. Please find more details about my problem below: a) I am executing a korn shellscript with 11 input parameters from "Appworx" tool (it's a scheduling tool) and immediately displaying those 11 parameter values in unixscript and noticed... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: npk2210
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

call another shell script and pass parameters to that shell script

Hi, I basically have 2 shell scripts. One is a shell script will get the variable value from the user. The variable is nothing but the IP of the remote system. Another shell script is a script that does the job of connecting to the remote system using ssh. This uses a expect utility in turn. ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sunrexstar
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help parsing job script input parameters

I have a job script that runs with input parms from the command line. job.sh -p parm1_parm2_parm3_parm4_file_1.dat The parms are separated by _ The last parm is a file name and can have an _ in the name. I currently use the following commands to extract the parms parm1=`eval echo... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jclanc8
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem with input parameters

Hi I wrote a script which lists the content of a given directory. I have just one problem. If you give 2 or more parameters, then it gives a strange error. After that error, it gives also an error from my script, but normally it shouldn't give that error. Here's my script.You can test it. ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: hss
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem in taking input Shell script

I was writing a shell script, where i need to run a command through script and then take input from user and later terminate it. i am not sure how to take input in a proper format immediately after a command. example: below command line is used to import some data in to database (LDAP)... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mridul17
3 Replies
on(1)                                                              User Commands                                                             on(1)

NAME
on - execute a command on a remote system with the local environment SYNOPSIS
on [-i] [-d] [-n] host command [argument] ... DESCRIPTION
The on program is used to execute commands on another system, in an environment similar to that invoking the program. All environment vari- ables are passed and the current working directory is preserved. To preserve the working directory, the working file system must be either already mounted on the host or be exported to it. Relative path names will only work if they are within the current file system. Absolute path names may cause problems. The standard input is connected to the standard input of the remote command. The standard output and the standard error from the remote command are sent to the corresponding files for the on command. OPTIONS
The following options are supported: -d Debug mode. Prints out some messages as work is being done. -i Interactive mode. Uses remote echoing and special character processing. This option is needed for programs that expect to be talk- ing to a terminal. All terminal modes and window size changes are propagated. -n No Input. This option causes the remote program to get EOF when it reads from the standard input, instead of passing the standard input from the standard input of the on program. For example, -n is necessary when running commands in the background with job control. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWnfscu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
chkey(1), rlogin(1), rsh(1), telnet(1), attributes(5) DIAGNOSTICS
unknown host Host name not found. cannot connect to server Host down or not running the server. can't find Problem finding the working directory. can't locate mount point Problem finding current file system. RPC: Authentication error The server requires DES authentication and you do not have a secret key registered with keyserv. Perhaps you logged in without a pass- word. Try to keylogin. If that fails, try to set your publickey with chkey. on server: RPC: can't encode arguments The 10240 byte limit for arguments to be encoded and passed from the sending to the receiving system has been exceeded. Other diagnostic messages may be passed back from the server. BUGS
When the working directory is remote mounted over NFS, a Control-Z hangs the window. Root cannot use on. SunOS 5.10 8 Oct 2003 on(1)