Sponsored Content
Top Forums Programming Fork syscall and related issues Post 302368920 by pludi on Friday 6th of November 2009 02:37:59 AM
Old 11-06-2009
1. No
2. Depends on what scheduler the kernel uses.
3. Yes, but this has nothing to do with system or concurrent programming, but with counting how much output you already produced and waiting after a certain amount.
5. Sendmail, Postfix, Firefox, FTP, SSH, ... pretty much anything using a network.
6. It doesn't. By the time fork() finishes, there are already 2 separate processes. In the parent process it's returning the PID of the child. In the child it returns 0. If it can't spawn a child for any reason, it returns -1 and sets errno.

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

recv syscall for socket programming

I have a question regarding the recv syscall. Suppose I have a client/server and the following exchange of message took place: Client --> Server using multiple send syscalls one after another immediately: send "Packet1" send "Packet2" send "Packet3" Server receives in the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: heljy
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

how to distinguish entry/exit of a syscall when using ptrace?

Hi all, I am using ptrace to keep track of clone syscalls in a program. However, I found that the traced syscall cant be paired. for example, there are some syscalls that have entry, but without exit showing up in the traced sequences. So, is there anyway to distinguish the entry and exit of a... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: tristartom
0 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

is read() syscall really a primitive?

I saw somewhere that describe read() as a primitive. But when I lean signals, it says the read() may be interrupted by a signal. My Question: 1, What is the diffence between primitive and reentrant? 2, Is read() a primitive or reentrant? 3, Are all system calls primitive or reentrant? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vistastar
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Process on CPU inside syscall

Hello Experts, If a Solaris process is calling some syscall, and right now execution is inside syscall doing only CPU work, for example the inside simplest times syscall, -> app_func => times << we are here now, we have entered in the times, but not exited yet <= times <- app_func... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: sant
9 Replies

5. Solaris

Swap space related issues, how to recognise the newly attached disk

hi!:) i got a problem....:wall::wall: i got several disks in my diskarray. I attached new disk to allocate it to the swap space. The problem is : how to recognise the newly attached disk? I've one more requirement -:wall:- i want to run dns service on another port number.how can i do... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vamshigvk475
2 Replies

6. Red Hat

Adding our system call Fedora 18 -new syscall

Hi, I wanna add my own system call to Fedora 18 kernel 3.8.2. From kernel 3.3 I heard there is a new system to add system calls. So where i can find a guides ? I wanna print this text: "Hello world!" in terminal, not dmesg. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: googz
4 Replies

7. Programming

Download file with socket syscall

Hello to all I want download a file in osx intel 64 with NASM , I want to use socket syscall This is part of my code section .data command db "GET /test/2.gif HTTP/1.1\r\nHost: 10.1.1.187\r\n\r\n", 0 ; url db "http://172.16.207.153/test/2.gif", 0 global main... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: recher.jack
1 Replies

8. Emergency UNIX and Linux Support

Network related issues

Oflate we are finding a few servers experiencing severe slowness. What would be the commands that I need to try to postmortem the situation? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ggayathri
3 Replies
FORK(2) 						      BSD System Calls Manual							   FORK(2)

NAME
fork -- create a new process SYNOPSIS
#include <sys/types.h> #include <unistd.h> pid_t fork(void); DESCRIPTION
Fork() causes creation of a new process. The new process (child process) is an exact copy of the calling process (parent process) except for the following: o The child process has a unique process ID. o The child process has a different parent process ID (i.e., the process ID of the parent process). o The child process has its own copy of the parent's descriptors. These descriptors reference the same underlying objects, so that, for instance, file pointers in file objects are shared between the child and the parent, so that an lseek(2) on a descriptor in the child process can affect a subsequent read or write by the parent. This descriptor copying is also used by the shell to establish standard input and output for newly created processes as well as to set up pipes. o The child processes resource utilizations are set to 0; see setrlimit(2). RETURN VALUES
Upon successful completion, fork() returns a value of 0 to the child process and returns the process ID of the child process to the parent process. Otherwise, a value of -1 is returned to the parent process, no child process is created, and the global variable errno is set to indicate the error. ERRORS
Fork() will fail and no child process will be created if: [EAGAIN] The system-imposed limit on the total number of processes under execution would be exceeded. This limit is configuration- dependent. [EAGAIN] The system-imposed limit MAXUPRC (<sys/param.h>) on the total number of processes under execution by a single user would be exceeded. [ENOMEM] There is insufficient swap space for the new process. SEE ALSO
execve(2), wait(2) HISTORY
A fork() function call appeared in Version 6 AT&T UNIX. 4th Berkeley Distribution June 4, 1993 4th Berkeley Distribution