Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Cut not working in a loop
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Cut not working in a loop Post 302368787 by KME on Thursday 5th of November 2009 03:59:23 PM
Old 11-05-2009
Computer

Methyl, thank you so much i never would have considered a space - !!!!!!! My code finally runs - thanks to you.
The object of the code was to find files over 1 gig write to a file then loop through the file, sending the file names to the find function, return the file location, Print it all out to a text file. It could be done differently w/less code but this syntax was really important to me. I still don't understand 2 things
1. In the final code sending the $Line0 to the my print, this was a string not a line. I could not use cut on this. Why is it a string not a line?
2. In the findPath3 function, I played around a lot with the syndax, why did i have to use the back ticks the way i did. I originally tried the line below but it returned nothing.
Code:
echo"`find /u03/hsun -name ${1}`"

Code:

#!/usr/bin/ksh
function CreateT1 {
 ls -lR ${2} | sort +2 | awk ' $5 > 1073741824 {print $3, $9, $5, $5/1073741824}' > ${1}
}

function FindPath3 {
 `echo find /u03/hsun -name ${1}`
}
function MyPrint {   
tfile=`echo "${2}"`
 tPath=`FindPath3 ${2}`
 echo "tpath: $tPath"
print $1,$2,$3,$4,$tPath >> /home/kemard/Test3_OP.txt
} 

#####Code Body######
CreateT1 /u03/kemard/BaseData.txt /u03/hsun
 while read line0
   do 
       MyPrint $line0
   done < /u03/kemard/BaseData.txt

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

/usr/bin/cut not working with largefiles on Solaris 10

I have a person running a perl script that is parsing > 2G log files and pipes to cut -d " " -f 1,6,7,8... The script itself is in a nfs mounted home directory. It runs fine when started from a solaris 8 box but fails after about 400 lines when started from the solaris 10 box. The solaris... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: wottie
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Use loop var i within Cut Command

Hi, In the following bash code rather than cutting at a predefined character I would like to cut at position i (i var from loop). Is this possible? I have tried eval, but either it's not possible or my syntax is wrong. thanks Nick for i in {1..9} do theChar=$(echo... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: de_la_espada
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

cut the present working directory

how to traverse through each directory (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Reddy482
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

why the set rr='echo string|cut not working

I am new to the c shell script, can you let me know why the set rr= is not working. C shell script #! /bin/csh Set tt= 12345_UMR_BH452_3_2.txt set rr='echo $tt | cut –d”_” -f1' syntax error (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jdsignature88
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem in getting data from a loop using grep and cut

The script is following : for each_rec in <file_name> do count=`cut -c -2 ${each_rec} | grep "45"` echo ${count} if ] then amount=`cut -c 24-35 ${each_rec}` echo ${amount} else echo "failed" fi done And the file looks like below : ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mady135
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using a loop with cut

I don't know if I described this right, but I am new to scripting and this is giving me a little bit of trouble, but I will explain what I am trying to do. Each time this is run, I want it to grab and save ls -l /home to data.txt. ls -l /home > data.txt Now the part I am getting confused... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ninjafish
4 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

cut not working the way i want it to

Hi Forum Im having problem with cut it even when i cut a field from an input file eg echo $x | cut -f1 -d':' it doesnt read the whole line if there is a space in it eg thisLineHasA SpaceInIt :wall: it only read up to the space.What i want is so the it cut the field as one line ... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: ShinTec
8 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cut command not working in for loop

grep -Fxvf testdata.xls file_GTDA1.xls >file_GTDA.xls SLS_COUNT=`grep 'GTDA_Dly_Sls' file_GTDA.xls |wc -l` PMIX_COUNT=`grep 'GTDA_Dly_Pmix' file_GTDA.xls |wc -l` if ; then var1=`cat file_GTDA.xls|grep 'GTDA_Dly_Sls_'` var4="|" for i in $var1... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: renuk
7 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

CUT command not giving correct result inside loop

Hi, i have a source file and have 3 columns and separated by "|" .i want to split this 3 columns in different variable.When i am executing this values indivisually giving correct result but when the same execute inside a for loop,it's giving issues. Src file(jjj.txt) -------... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: raju2016
8 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Why is my cut command not working ?

OS : RHEL 6.8 Shell : bash I want to remove all lines like below from the history output as it has password. $ history | grep sqlplus 239 sqlplus jn_usr/dxc825#@10.5.12.106/OCSGPD 256 sqlplus osb_soa/KD1egM09@10.5.12.196/BSOAPRD 279 sqlplus jn_usr/dxc825#@10.80.16.219/OCSGPD... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: John K
5 Replies
WMANAGER-LOOP(1)					    BSD General Commands Manual 					  WMANAGER-LOOP(1)

NAME
wmanager-loop -- loop running window managers chosen with wmanager SYNOPSIS
wmanager-loop [OPTIONS ...] DESCRIPTION
The wmanager-loop program starts either the window manager specified by the WM variable or the first window manager listed in ~/.wmanagerrc (or an X terminal emulator if none), and when it exits, runs wmanager(1) to prompt the user for the next window manager. It loops doing this until the user chooses ``Exit this session'' in wmanager(1). Any options given to wmanager-loop will be passed on to wmanager(1). If the WM environment variable is set, the wmanager-loop program tries to interpret it as a window manager specification in the following ways in the specified order: o a full path to an executable file to run as the window manager; o the name of a window manager listed in the /.wmanagerrc file; e.g. ``fluxbox'' would match the following line: fluxbox=/usr/bin/startfluxbox o the program name of a window manager listed in the /.wmanagerrc file; e.g. ``startfluxbox'' would match the above example. o the start of such a program name; e.g. ``start'' would match the above example. o the end of such a program name; e.g. ``box'' would match the above example. If the WM variable is set and there is more than one line in ~/.wmanagerrc that matches the specification, wmanager-loop will exit with an error message. As mentioned above, if no window manager is specified in the WM environment variable or found in the ~/.wmanagerrc file, the wmanager-loop program attempts to start an X terminal emulator. If the WMTERM environment variable is set, the wmanager-loop program uses it as the path to the emulator. Otherwise it searches the user's path for a program named ``x-terminal-emulator'', ``urxvt'', ``rxvt'', or ``xterm'' in this order, and starts the first one found using its full path. If none of the common terminal emulators on the above list is found, the wmanager-loop program just runs ``xterm'' in the hope that something will come up on the user's display. ENVIRONMENT
The wmanager-loop program uses the following environment variables: WM The name, path, or partial path to the first window manager to execute. WMTERM The name of the X terminal emulator to execute if no window manager could be found in the ~/.wmanagerrc file. If not specified, the wmanager-loop program searches the user's path as described above. EXAMPLE
To start using wmanager-loop, create a ~/.wmanagerrc file - generally with wmanagerrc-update(1) - and add something like the following at the end of your ~/.xsession file: exec wmanager-loop -geometry +570+585 SEE ALSO
wmanager(1), wmanagerrc-update(1) HISTORY
The wmanager-loop program was written by Tommi Virtanen in 2000 and later modified by Peter Pentchev. This manual page was originally writ- ten in perldoc format by Tommi Virtanen in 2000, and converted to mdoc format and updated by Peter Pentchev in 2008. AUTHORS
Tommi Virtanen <tv@debian.org> Peter Pentchev <roam@ringlet.net> BSD
September 8, 2009 BSD