Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Cut not working in a loop
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Cut not working in a loop Post 302368787 by KME on Thursday 5th of November 2009 03:59:23 PM
Old 11-05-2009
Computer

Methyl, thank you so much i never would have considered a space - !!!!!!! My code finally runs - thanks to you.
The object of the code was to find files over 1 gig write to a file then loop through the file, sending the file names to the find function, return the file location, Print it all out to a text file. It could be done differently w/less code but this syntax was really important to me. I still don't understand 2 things
1. In the final code sending the $Line0 to the my print, this was a string not a line. I could not use cut on this. Why is it a string not a line?
2. In the findPath3 function, I played around a lot with the syndax, why did i have to use the back ticks the way i did. I originally tried the line below but it returned nothing.
Code:
echo"`find /u03/hsun -name ${1}`"

Code:

#!/usr/bin/ksh
function CreateT1 {
 ls -lR ${2} | sort +2 | awk ' $5 > 1073741824 {print $3, $9, $5, $5/1073741824}' > ${1}
}

function FindPath3 {
 `echo find /u03/hsun -name ${1}`
}
function MyPrint {   
tfile=`echo "${2}"`
 tPath=`FindPath3 ${2}`
 echo "tpath: $tPath"
print $1,$2,$3,$4,$tPath >> /home/kemard/Test3_OP.txt
} 

#####Code Body######
CreateT1 /u03/kemard/BaseData.txt /u03/hsun
 while read line0
   do 
       MyPrint $line0
   done < /u03/kemard/BaseData.txt

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

/usr/bin/cut not working with largefiles on Solaris 10

I have a person running a perl script that is parsing > 2G log files and pipes to cut -d " " -f 1,6,7,8... The script itself is in a nfs mounted home directory. It runs fine when started from a solaris 8 box but fails after about 400 lines when started from the solaris 10 box. The solaris... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: wottie
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Use loop var i within Cut Command

Hi, In the following bash code rather than cutting at a predefined character I would like to cut at position i (i var from loop). Is this possible? I have tried eval, but either it's not possible or my syntax is wrong. thanks Nick for i in {1..9} do theChar=$(echo... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: de_la_espada
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

cut the present working directory

how to traverse through each directory (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Reddy482
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

why the set rr='echo string|cut not working

I am new to the c shell script, can you let me know why the set rr= is not working. C shell script #! /bin/csh Set tt= 12345_UMR_BH452_3_2.txt set rr='echo $tt | cut –d”_” -f1' syntax error (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jdsignature88
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem in getting data from a loop using grep and cut

The script is following : for each_rec in <file_name> do count=`cut -c -2 ${each_rec} | grep "45"` echo ${count} if ] then amount=`cut -c 24-35 ${each_rec}` echo ${amount} else echo "failed" fi done And the file looks like below : ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mady135
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using a loop with cut

I don't know if I described this right, but I am new to scripting and this is giving me a little bit of trouble, but I will explain what I am trying to do. Each time this is run, I want it to grab and save ls -l /home to data.txt. ls -l /home > data.txt Now the part I am getting confused... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ninjafish
4 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

cut not working the way i want it to

Hi Forum Im having problem with cut it even when i cut a field from an input file eg echo $x | cut -f1 -d':' it doesnt read the whole line if there is a space in it eg thisLineHasA SpaceInIt :wall: it only read up to the space.What i want is so the it cut the field as one line ... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: ShinTec
8 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cut command not working in for loop

grep -Fxvf testdata.xls file_GTDA1.xls >file_GTDA.xls SLS_COUNT=`grep 'GTDA_Dly_Sls' file_GTDA.xls |wc -l` PMIX_COUNT=`grep 'GTDA_Dly_Pmix' file_GTDA.xls |wc -l` if ; then var1=`cat file_GTDA.xls|grep 'GTDA_Dly_Sls_'` var4="|" for i in $var1... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: renuk
7 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

CUT command not giving correct result inside loop

Hi, i have a source file and have 3 columns and separated by "|" .i want to split this 3 columns in different variable.When i am executing this values indivisually giving correct result but when the same execute inside a for loop,it's giving issues. Src file(jjj.txt) -------... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: raju2016
8 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Why is my cut command not working ?

OS : RHEL 6.8 Shell : bash I want to remove all lines like below from the history output as it has password. $ history | grep sqlplus 239 sqlplus jn_usr/dxc825#@10.5.12.106/OCSGPD 256 sqlplus osb_soa/KD1egM09@10.5.12.196/BSOAPRD 279 sqlplus jn_usr/dxc825#@10.80.16.219/OCSGPD... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: John K
5 Replies
unix2dos(1)						      General Commands Manual						       unix2dos(1)

NAME
unix2dos - UNIX to DOS text file format converter SYNOPSYS
unix2dos [options] [-c convmode] [-o file ...] [-n infile outfile ...] Options: [-hkqV] [--help] [--keepdate] [--quiet] [--version] DESCRIPTION
This manual page documents unix2dos, the program that converts text files in UNIX format to DOS format. OPTIONS
The following options are available: -h --help Print online help. -k --keepdate Keep the date stamp of output file same as input file. -q --quiet Quiet mode. Suppress all warning and messages. -V --version Prints version information. -c --convmode convmode Sets conversion mode. Simulates unix2dos under SunOS. -o --oldfile file ... Old file mode. Convert the file and write output to it. The program default to run in this mode. Wildcard names may be used. -n --newfile infile outfile ... New file mode. Convert the infile and write output to outfile. File names must be given in pairs and wildcard names should NOT be used or you WILL lost your files. EXAMPLES
Get input from stdin and write output to stdout. unix2dos Convert and replace a.txt. Convert and replace b.txt. unix2dos a.txt b.txt unix2dos -o a.txt b.txt Convert and replace a.txt in ASCII conversion mode. Convert and replace b.txt in ISO conversion mode. unix2dos a.txt -c iso b.txt unix2dos -c ascii a.txt -c iso b.txt Convert and replace a.txt while keeping original date stamp. unix2dos -k a.txt unix2dos -k -o a.txt Convert a.txt and write to e.txt. unix2dos -n a.txt e.txt Convert a.txt and write to e.txt, keep date stamp of e.txt same as a.txt. unix2dos -k -n a.txt e.txt Convert and replace a.txt. Convert b.txt and write to e.txt. unix2dos a.txt -n b.txt e.txt unix2dos -o a.txt -n b.txt e.txt Convert c.txt and write to e.txt. Convert and replace a.txt. Convert and replace b.txt. Convert d.txt and write to f.txt. unix2dos -n c.txt e.txt -o a.txt b.txt -n d.txt f.txt DIAGNOSTICS
BUGS
The program does not work properly under MSDOS in stdio processing mode. If you know why is that so, please tell me. AUTHOR
Benjamin Lin - ( blin@socs.uts.edu.au ) MISCELLANY
Tested environment: Linux 1.2.0 with GNU C 2.5.8 SunOS 4.1.3 with GNU C 2.6.3 MS-DOS 6.20 with Borland C++ 4.02 Suggestions and bug reports are welcome. SEE ALSO
dos2unix(1) 1995.03.31 unix2dos v2.2 unix2dos(1)