Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting one solution if want fields in a file into each array Post 302368629 by jimmy_y on Thursday 5th of November 2009 08:00:23 AM
Old 11-05-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by pludi
Why do you call external programs for things Perl can do by itself?
Code:
#!/usr/bin/perl

use strict;
use warnings;

my @field1 = map { (split /\t/)[0] } <>;

Thanks pludi, but when i run it, the program just hang there, no result. Smilie

7 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

split varibles and store fields into shell varible array

I need to split a long varible which is a whole line read from a file into fields and store them in an array, the fields are delimited by pipe and a field may contain white spaces. I tried the following concept test and it has problem with field 5 which contain a space, appearently so because... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: gratus
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk reading many fields to array

I want to read $3,$4,$5,$6,$7 of fileA in array and when fileb $1 = fileA $4 the i want to print array and few fields from fileB. This should work but has some syntax error. nawk -F, 'FNR==NR{a=;next} a{print a}' fileB fileA Appreciate if someone can correct this. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pinnacle
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Ksh array solution.

I was wondering if ksh supported arrays. I have a script that may work with several hosts. I'd like a means of knowing how many hosts I'm working with and an easy way to access them (as variables) in a loop. I'm assuming there's some kind of foreach in shell scripting. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mrwatkin
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to spilit a row into fields and store the field content to the array

consider this is a line A#B#C#D#E#F#G#H note the delimeter is # i want to cut or spilt in to fields using the delimeter # and to store in an array. like this array=A array=B array=C array=D array=E and the array content should be displayed. echo "${array}" echo "${array}"... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: barani75
5 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Fill fields with awk from an array?

Hi experts, I have been trying for a while to accomplish the following task using awk, and I just don't seem find find a way. I am not particular about using awk, it just seemed like the logical choice at first. I have a file that contains 5 fields that are delimited by a space character.... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: GermanicGalore
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk two fields in one array

I want to compare these files while putting $1 and $2 into an array and getting rid of the punctuation. What am i doing wrong? File1.txt Apple # 223 Peach # 84; Banana # 1605. Banana # 1605; Orange # 6; Peach # 84 Peach # 84; Apple # 229; Banana # 1605. Peach # 84 Apple, # 229;... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sdf
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Psql output into array and read 2 fields into different variables

Hello Just edited the entry to make it easier to understand what i want How can i achieve this: GOAL: read 2 field from a table with PSQL result of this PSQL command is this INSTALLEDLANG=$(su - postgres -c "psql -A -t -q -c -d ${DBNAME} -t -c 'SELECT code, iso_code from res_lang'") ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: winston6071
0 Replies