Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Fields in csv files using sed Post 302368573 by paoie on Thursday 5th of November 2009 05:15:12 AM
Old 11-05-2009
thank you very much scottn! it worked!! haha :-)

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Re-usable function to parse csv files with different number of fields

Hi there, been pondering how to deal with this and hoping someone would give me an insight on this. I need help on creating a reusable bash funtion to parse csv files containing different number of fields (comma-seperated). My initial thought is to create function for each input csv file (20+... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jy2k7ca
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk sed cut? to rearrange random number of fields into 3 fields

I'm working on formatting some attendance data to meet a vendors requirements to upload to their system. With some help on the forums here, I have the data close. But they've since changed what they want. The vendor wants me to submit three fields to them. Field 1 is the studentid field,... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: axo959
4 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Compare two files using awk or sed, add values in a column if their previous fields are same

Hi All, I have two files file1: abc,def,ghi,5,jkl,mno pqr,stu,ghi,10,vwx,xyz cba,ust,ihg,4,cdu,oqw file2: ravi,def,kishore ramu,ust,krishna joseph,stu,mike I need two output files as follows In my above example, each row in file1 has 6 fields and each row in file2 has 3... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: yerruhari
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Compare two files using awk or sed, add values in a column if their previous fields are same

Hi All, I have two files file1: abc,def,ghi,5,jkl,mno pqr,stu,ghi,10,vwx,xyz cba,ust,ihg,4,cdu,oqw file2: ravi,def,kishore ramu,ust,krishna joseph,stu,mike I need two output files as follows In my above example, each row in file1 has 6 fields and each row in file2 has 3... (1 Reply)
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Hi All, I have two files file1: abc,def,ghi,5,jkl,mno pqr,stu,ghi,10,vwx,xyz cba,ust,ihg,4,cdu,oqw file2: ravi,def,kishore ramu,ust,krishna joseph,stu,mike I need two output files as follows In my above example, each row in file1 has 6 fields and each row in file2 has 3... (3 Replies)
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to create a CSV File by reading fields from separate files

SHELL SCRIPT Hi, I have 3 separate files within a folder. Every File contains data in a single column like File1 contains data mayank sushant dheeraj File2 contains DSA_AT MG_AT FLAT_09 File3 contains data 123123 232323 (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mayanksargoch
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Merge 2 CSV files using sed

Help in writing a script using sed which updates fileOne with the contents from fileTwo Example: Contents of fileOne 1,111111 2,897823 3,235473 4,222222 Contents of fileTwo 1,111111,A,1,2 4,222222,A,2,2 5,374632,A,3,2 6,374654,A,4,2 Final File should be: 1,111111,A,1,2... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: NewToSed
9 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

checking csv files with empty fields..!

Hi! I need to learn that how a shell script can transverse a csv file n check if any field is empty or not. means its contains two comma or space b/w commas i.e., "" or " ". can anyone help me out how I can do that.... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: sukhdip
10 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

using sed delete a line from csv file based on specific data in two separate fields

Hello, :wall: I have a 12 column csv file. I wish to delete the entire line if column 7 = hello and column 12 = goodbye. I have tried everything that I can find in all of my ref books. I know this does not work /^*,*,*,*,*,*,"hello",*,*,*,*,"goodbye"/d Any ideas? Thanks Please... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Chris Eagleson
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Matching two fields in two csv files, create new file and append match

I am trying to parse two csv files and make a match in one column then print the entire file to a new file and append an additional column that gives description from the match to the new file. If a match is not made, I would like to add "NA" to the end of the file Command that Ive been using... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: dis0wned
6 Replies
syscallbysysc.d(1m)						   USER COMMANDS					       syscallbysysc.d(1m)

NAME
syscallbysysc.d - syscalls by syscall. Uses DTrace. SYNOPSIS
syscallbysysc.d DESCRIPTION
syscallbysysc.d is a DTrace OneLiner to a report of the number of each type of system call made. This is useful to identify which system call is the most common. Docs/oneliners.txt and Docs/Examples/oneliners_examples.txt in the DTraceToolkit contain this as a oneliner that can be cut-n-paste to run. Since this uses DTrace, only users with root privileges can run this command. EXAMPLES
This samples until Ctrl-C is hit. # syscallbysysc.d FIELDS
first field This is the system call type. Most have man pages in section 2. second field This is the count, the number of occurrances for this system call. DOCUMENTATION
See the DTraceToolkit for further documentation under the Docs directory. The DTraceToolkit docs may include full worked examples with ver- bose descriptions explaining the output. EXIT
syscallbysysc.d will sample until Ctrl-C is hit. AUTHOR
Brendan Gregg [Sydney, Australia] SEE ALSO
procsystime(1M), dtrace(1M), truss(1) version 1.00 May 15, 2005 syscallbysysc.d(1m)