Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How to make shell script interact with program Post 302368551 by cfajohnson on Thursday 5th of November 2009 04:15:09 AM
Old 11-05-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by radish04
I have a C program that runs on a loop, prompting the user for input until it is exited. I want to create a shell script that can run this program and provide input. How can I do this? I have investigated 'expect' and piping to stdin, but haven't had any success. Any help is welcome!

What did you try and what does "haven't had any success" mean? What did happen? What did you want to happen?

The usual method, assuming that the C program reads from the standard input is:

Code:
printf "%s\n" y n filename whatever | name_of_C_program

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

can a shell script interact with database?

Hi All, Language like C,Java can interact with database..and can use database information .. can a shall script do this? if yes thn plz guide me..... thankx (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: johnray31
7 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help need to make a shell script run for ffmpeg vhook watermaking in shell

i have a small problem getting a batxh shell script to run in shell this is the code the problem seems to be centered around the ffmpeg command, something maybe to do with the ' ' wrapping around the vhook part command this is a strange problem , if i take the ffmpeg command and... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: wingchun22
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

please help me: how to make Ln in script shell

please can u help me in my homework, i want to creat a script shell for ln (symbolik link). This script will do everything that Ln do it. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: halo03
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Expect script exiting too fast if used without interact.

Hi I'm working on an Expect script that is supposed to log-into a remote server and run some steps and exit. In the script I first spawn a 'ssh' session to the server and then after logging in I 'send' all the necessary steps ( with a '\r' at the end, so that they get automatically executed the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: clakkad
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

how we can make shell script not to run

Hi,shell script is scheduled from maestro and we want mastero should not run shell script so can we edit the shell script so that it should run.ThanksPrakash (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: prakashdba2010
5 Replies

6. Programming

How could I interact with shell script from webportal written in php?

Hello, I am new on PHP scripting .I have shell scripts which I an running currently from linux server but now I want to make a web portal from where I will run all my scripts but the problem is all my scripts ask for parameters so I am getting confused how could I run my shell script from web... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: anuragpgtgerman
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

can a nohup'ed ksh script interact with user

I have a long running ksh script that I need to run with "nohup" in the backgound which is all well and good but at the very start of the script it needes to output to the screen to query the user and accept a response before continuing. Any thoughts on how to accomplish this other than... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: twk
11 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help to make a shell script with usage

Hello, I begin to write my first shell script, but I am totally lost, hope you can help me. I'd like to write a script with some conditions and multiples usages: ./myscript.sh -i <host> or ./myscript.sh -e <host> Have you some suggestion, because I am really lost, I try to do something... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: Francesco
12 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Expect script - Interact help

Hi Guys, Further to my post yesterday I have got round the issue of not being able to use expect by using one of our unix machines to have the script running instead of the jumpbox itself. However my issue is I now have an extra bit it the script which is shh to the jumpbox which requires a ras... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mutley2202
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Make background process interact with fg process

Hi, I have written a menu driven shell script in which as per the choice, I run the another script on background. For eg: 1. get info 2)process info 3)modify info All the operations have different scripts which i schedule in background using &. However I wish to display the error... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: ashima jain
0 Replies
MESSAGES(3)						  libbash messages Library Manual					       MESSAGES(3)

NAME
messages -- libbash library that implements a set of functions to print standard status messages SYNOPSIS
printOK [indent] printFAIL [indent] printNA [indent] printATTN [indent] printWAIT [indent] DESCRIPTION
General messages is a collection of functions to print standard status messages - those [ OK ] and [FAIL] messages you see during Linux boot process. The function list: printOK Prints a standard [ OK ] message (green) printFAIL Prints a standard [FAIL] message (red) printNA Prints a standard [ N/A] message (yellow) printATTN Prints a standard [ATTN] message (yellow) printWAIT Prints a standard [WAIT] message (yellow) Detailed interface description follows. indent Column to move to before printing. Default indent is calculated as TTY_WIDTH-10. If current tty width can not be determined (for example, in case of serial console), it defaults to 80, so default indent is 80-10=10 FUNCTIONS DESCRIPTIONS
printOK [indent] Prints a standard [ OK ] message (green) printFAIL [indent] Prints a standard [FAIL] message (red) printNA [indent] Prints a standard [ N/A] message (yellow) printATTN [indent] Prints a standard [ATTN] message (yellow) printWAIT [indent] Prints a standard [WAIT] message (yellow) EXAMPLES
Run a program named MyProg, and report it's success or failure: echo -n 'Running MyProg...' printWAIT if MyProg ; then printOK else printFAIL fi AUTHORS
Hai Zaar <haizaar@haizaar.com> Gil Ran <gil@ran4.net> SEE ALSO
ldbash(1), libbash(1) Linux Epoch Linux