Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting I need to understand the differences between the bash shell and the Bourne shell Post 302368269 by pludi on Wednesday 4th of November 2009 12:33:10 PM
Old 11-04-2009
The line
Code:
#!/bin/bash

is the so-called "shebang" line which tells the system what interpreter to run the script in. It's pretty much the same as the magic bytes in executable formats, like ".ELF" (UNIX) or "MZ" (Windows .exe). This was needed after other shells and interpreters came available other than just the Bourne Shell.

Your other errors probably stem from the sed commands, as probably starting with Korn Shell (which is the base for the POSIX standard shell) the commands for sed have to be passed as a single argument, but the shell splits arguments on spaces. So your first command should (as an example) be written as
Code:
sed -e 's/ -/ DOT./' ipc > raw

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Bourne-again shell

Hi guys !! well i'm still new in learning UNIX , and actually i'm still studying it by myself .. anyway, some people told me the Bourne-again shell is a good version of UNIX to work on , and i tried to download yesterday but i didn't know how to start it ...... the ReadMe file associated with... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mrsamer
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

bourne shell or korn shell?

Hi, I have a script that uses "nohup" command to execute a korn shell script. Which one is the correct shell to use bourne shell or korn shell to execute a korn shell? and why? Thanks in advanced. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: XZOR
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

C shell & Bourne Shell

Hi Guys, My first post and simple one at that .. Really rusty with this shell scripting..\ I have a script called .. j.sh I am calling > j.sh LOG_PATH $BLMBRGDATA/blmbrg.properties where j.sh is grep $1 $2 | cut -d',' -f2 . $BLMBRGDATA is set to a directory path. why do i get :- $... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jsm66
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

bash shell: 'exec', 'eval', 'source' - looking for help to understand

Hi, experts. Whould anybody clear explay me difference and usage of these 3 commands (particulary in bash) : exec eval source I've tryed to read the manual pages but did not get much. Also could not get something useful from Google search - just so much and so not exactly, that is... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: alex_5161
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to activate Korn Shell functionnalities in Bourne Shell

Hi All I have writing a Korn Shell script to execute it on many of our servers. But some servers don't have Korn Shell installed, they use Borne Shell. Some operations like calculation don't work : cat ${file1} | tail -$((${num1}-${num2})) > ${file2} Is it possible to activate Korn Shell... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: madmat
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bourne/C shell help

Exercise Five Write a Bourne shell script which: • Professionalism: plan for this from the start. • Has one command line argument. • If the command line argument is a directory then the script should output the number of files in the directory. • If the command line argument is an ordinary... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: moesom
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bourne shell & Korn shell

Could some one tell me the difference btw Bourne shell and the Kshell? Which is more flexible and reliable in terms of portability and efficiency. When i type the following command .. $ echo $SHELL yields me /bin/sh Does this tells me that I am in Bourne shell. If yes, how can i get... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: bobby1015
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Confusion about FOR LOOP syntax between Bourne and BASH shell. Please see.

for (( i=1; i<=3; i++ )); do for (( j=1; j<=3; j++ )); do for (( k=1; k<=3; k++ )); do echo $i$j$k done done done Will the above code work on a BOURNE shell? As far as my understanding is, if I am writing the above code in a file..say lol.sh and then running it through the terminal using... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: navienavnav
7 Replies

9. Cybersecurity

'Shell Shock' vulnerability in Bourne shell

A severe vulnerability was discovered in Bourne shell. Just google for: bash vulnerability ... for more details. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Cochise
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to understand special character for line reading in bash shell?

I am still learning shell scripting. Recently I see a function for read configuration. But some of special character make me confused. I checked online to find answer. It was not successful. I post the code here to consult with expert or guru to get better understanding on these special characters... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: duke0001
3 Replies
GIT-SH-I18N(1)                                                      Git Manual                                                      GIT-SH-I18N(1)

NAME
git-sh-i18n - Git's i18n setup code for shell scripts SYNOPSIS
. "$(git --exec-path)/git-sh-i18n" DESCRIPTION
This is not a command the end user would want to run. Ever. This documentation is meant for people who are studying the Porcelain-ish scripts and/or are writing new ones. The 'git sh-i18n scriptlet is designed to be sourced (using .) by Git's porcelain programs implemented in shell script. It provides wrappers for the GNU gettext and eval_gettext functions accessible through the gettext.sh script, and provides pass-through fallbacks on systems without GNU gettext. FUNCTIONS
gettext Currently a dummy fall-through function implemented as a wrapper around printf(1). Will be replaced by a real gettext implementation in a later version. eval_gettext Currently a dummy fall-through function implemented as a wrapper around printf(1) with variables expanded by the git-sh- i18n--envsubst(1) helper. Will be replaced by a real gettext implementation in a later version. GIT
Part of the git(1) suite Git 2.17.1 10/05/2018 GIT-SH-I18N(1)