Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Redirect contained in variable not expanded as expected Post 302367794 by noose on Tuesday 3rd of November 2009 12:59:05 PM
Old 11-03-2009
Thanks for that methyl, that solved my problem.

I'm still interested in the mechanics of what was going on/going wrong if anyone can explain.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

please help: how to redirect input into a variable

I'm trying to write a simple script program (C shell). I have a problem redirecting input into a variable. Say I have a variable called J, and there is file called result which contains just some number, say 5. Which command should I use to assign J value 5 from the file result. I tried the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: artur80
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Redirect Output In Variable

how make assign the output of the command (for example: grep "file" "string" ) in a variable ($name)? i thing how put the result of the command (grep , cut, find ecc) in a variable.. IT's Possible ?? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ZINGARO
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Redirect to variable

how do you redirect stdout into a variable. whenever I try I get an ambiguous redirect error :( I am trying to validate some user input and failing miserably. cal $MONTH $YEAR | grep -c "$DAY" if the above is 1 then it is valid if 0 then not valid. I have been trying to redirect the output... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: MrAd
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

after grep i want to redirect it to some variable

for the below grep -i $1 "${logdir}"* | grep -i adding | grep -iv equation | tail -1 | cut -d ':' -f 1 the result of the grep i want to redirect into some variable, i tried to do veri=grep -i $1 "${logdir}"* | grep -i adding | grep -iv equation | tail -1 | cut -d ':' -f 1 but it is... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mail2sant
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

redirect cat to variable

hello just i saw a really strange for cat i have file (file1) contains line /home/rajiv/proj1/*.txt now applied a commonds DDPATH="$(cat file1)" echo $DDPATH it shows all the txt files in that folder like /home/rajiv/proj1/read1.txt /home/rajiv/proj1/read2.txt... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: shailesh_arya
7 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

bash variable (set via awk+sed) not working as expected

Hi! Been working on a script and I've been having a problem. I've finally narrowed it down to this variable I'm setting: servername=$(awk -v FS=\/ '{ print $7 } blah.txt | sed 's\/./-/g' | awk -v FS=\- '{print $1}')" This will essentially pare down a line like this: ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: creativedynamo
7 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

redirect for "[: : integer expression expected" error

Hi, I read in this forum that for "https://www.unix.com/shell-programming-scripting/156008-integer-expression-expected-regular-expression.html thanks! (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Vijay81
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using sed in a loop/to remove lines contained in variable from file

I've tried numerous commands, but I am not sure how to use sed in a loop. This is what I have: VARZ contains CARD_FILE_LIST and it also contains CARD_FILE_LIST2 so echo "$VARZ" CARD_FILE_LIST CARD_FILE_LIST2 I have a file with 60 lines in /tmp/testfile it and I want those lines deleted... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: newbie2010
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Assigning variable to output gives error with expected result

Hello, I am trying to print out the first string matching query with grep and I need your help. My scenario: Database John F 4433 Street No 88 CA Elisabeth Taylor 7733 Street No 26 ON Jack Nicholson 0133 Green Park No 34 AR John F 2 9399 Southpark No 02D UT test.sh... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: baris35
6 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash variable assignment failure/unary operator expected

I have a little code block (executing on AIX 7.1) that I cannot understand why the NOTFREE=0 does not appear to be assigned even though it goes through that block. This causes a unary operator issue. #!/bin/bash PLATFORM="AIX" NEEDSPC=3000 set -x if ; then lsvg | grep -v rootvg | while... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: port43
6 Replies
set(1F) 							   FMLI Commands							   set(1F)

NAME
set, unset - set and unset local or global environment variables SYNOPSIS
set [-l variable [=value]] ... set [-e variable [=value]] ... set [-ffile variable [=value]]... ... unset -l variable... unset -f file variable... DESCRIPTION
The set command sets variable in the environment, or adds variable=value to file. If variable is not equated it to a value, set expects the value to be on stdin. The unset command removes variable. Note that the FMLI predefined, read-only variables (such as ARG1), may not be set or unset. Note that at least one of the above options must be used for each variable being set or unset. If you set a variable with the -ffilename option, you must thereafter include filename in references to that variable. For example, ${(file)VARIABLE}. FMLI inherits the UNIX environment when invoked. OPTIONS
-l Sets or unsets the specified variable in the local environment. Variables set with -l will not be inherited by processes invoked from FMLI. -e Sets the specified variable in the UNIX environment. Variables set with -e will be inherited by any processes started from FMLI. Note that these variables cannot be unset. -ffile Sets or unsets the specified variable in the global environment. The argument file is the name, or pathname, of a file containing lines of the form variable=value. file will be created if it does not already exist. Note that no space intervenes between -f and file. EXAMPLES
Example 1 A sample output of set command. Storing a selection made in a menu: name=Selection 2 action=`set -l SELECTION=2`close NOTES
Variables set to be available to the UNIX environment (those set using the -e option) can only be set for the current fmli process and the processes it calls. When using the -f option, unless file is unique to the process, other users of FMLI on the same machine will be able to expand these vari- ables, depending on the read/write permissions on file. A variable set in one frame may be referenced or unset in any other frame. This includes local variables. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
env(1), sh(1), attributes(5) SunOS 5.11 5 Jul 1990 set(1F)