Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris /dev/rmt is empty - Trying to make Tape Drive Functional Post 302367628 by incredible on Tuesday 3rd of November 2009 06:33:38 AM
Old 11-03-2009
Nope, you're wrong. Do a probe-scsi-all from the ok> prompt (this is for solaris / sun h/w)
For HP, think you will need to install the driver perhaps..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

/dev/rmt/0cn

Following the below info: ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- # SYNTAX: /dev/rmt/<unit number><density> · Density: l, m, h, u/c (low, medium, high, ultra/compressed, respectively) · BSD behavior: (optional) b · no rewind: (optional) n · For... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: guest100
5 Replies

2. Solaris

/dev/rmt empty

hi all , i have just installed solris 9 on a sun 280R ,and i have appleid the recommended patches . after the installation i have found that /dev/rmt/ directory is empty , i thought that was normal , so i attached my DDS4 external tape drive and treid : devfsadm -C devfsadm -v reboot --... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ppass
1 Replies

3. Solaris

Command to determine Tape Drive model and make

Hi, We have some IBM LTO tape drives connect over SAN. I have the following questions :- 1) Command that can list the tape drive details like who is manufacturer, model number, make etc etc 2) I would like to know what are the key differences between IBM LTO Generation 1 and Generation... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: new2prog
5 Replies

4. Solaris

Empty /dev/rmt

Hi Guys, I a newbie in Unix environment. I need a help to detect my external SCSI tape drive. I tried with command drvconfig;devlinks;tapes.. but when I go to /dev/rmt/, the directory is still empty. I also tried with add_drv -v st but I'm getting this message # add_drv -v st exit... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: akuslive
8 Replies

5. AIX

How to prevent /dev/rmt* re-assignments

Hi all, Sometimes, when I reboot my AIX server, my tape drive /dev/rmt# assignments change. This creates some tedious TSM work prior to and after a reboot of the server. Is there a way to ensure that the /dev/rmt# assignments come up the same every time? Thanks (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: jwholey
5 Replies

6. Hardware

/dev/rmt/0mn: write protected or reserved

# mt stat HP DDS-4 DAT (Sun) tape drive: sense key(0x0)= No Additional Sense residual= 0 retries= 0 file no= 0 block no= 0 mt -f /dev/rmt/0mn erase /dev/rmt/0mn: write protected or reserved. Getting error while ufsdump .... --- Dumping / to /dev/rmt/0mn --- DUMP: Date... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vickyingle5
1 Replies

7. Solaris

/dev/rmt/0mn: write protected or reserved

# mt stat HP DDS-4 DAT (Sun) tape drive: sense key(0x0)= No Additional Sense residual= 0 retries= 0 file no= 0 block no= 0 mt -f /dev/rmt/0mn erase /dev/rmt/0mn: write protected or reserved. Getting error while ufsdump .... --- Dumping / to /dev/rmt/0mn --- DUMP: Date... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: vickyingle5
5 Replies

8. AIX

/dev/rmt devices are missing

Hello, I attached a tape drive to one of my partitions but i cannot find the device. I run the command lsdev|grep rmt but i dont get anything in return. When i run lsslot -c slot i can see the slot number and the device that belongs to the tape drive but i cannot find any rmt files in /dev.... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: omonoiatis9
6 Replies

9. SCO

Tape Drive (/dev/rct0) donot work sometimes

Hi all, I am facing problem with my Tape drive (hp) (/dev/rct0) on SCO Unix version 6.0.0. Sometimes tar works fine but some times it doesnot work and I have to restart the server to get it work. One reboot/shutdown is OK. to solve the problem. Error is "cannot open ... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: dextergenious
9 Replies

10. HP-UX

Failed to open tape device /dev/rmt/0mn:Device busy (errno = 16)

Hi, Unable to make tape backup, please help. /opt/ignite/bin/make_tape_recovery -a /dev/rmt/?mn -I -v -m tar -x inc_entire=vg00 * Creating local directories for configuration files and archive. ======= 04/25/16 16:28:08 IST Started /opt/ignite/bin/make_tape_recovery. (Mon... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: anuragr
4 Replies
install-solaris(1M)													       install-solaris(1M)

NAME
install-solaris - install the Solaris operating system SYNOPSIS
install-solaris install-solaris invokes the Solaris Install program. Depending on graphical capability and available memory at the time of invocation, install-solaris invokes either a text-based installer or a graphical installer. The following minimum requirements for physical memory dictate which features are available during installation: For SPARC machines: 128 MB Minimum physical memory for all installation types 128 MB Minimum physical memory required for windowing system 384 MB Minimum physical memory required for graphical-based installation For x86 machines: 256 MB Minimum physical memory for all installation types 256 MB Minimum physical memory required for windowing system 512 MB Minimum physical memory required for graphical-based installation In some cases, even if the minimum physical memory is present, available virtual memory after system startup can limit the number of fea- tures available. install-solaris exists only on the Solaris installation media (CD or DVD) and should be invoked only from there. Refer to the for more details. install-solaris allows installation of the operating system onto any standalone system. install-solaris loads the software available on the installation media. Refer to the for disk space requirements. Refer to the for more information on the various menus and selections. See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcdrom (Solaris instal- | | |lation media) | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Evolving | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ pkginfo(1), install(1M), pkgadd(1M), attributes(5) It is advisable to exit install-solaris by means of the exit options in the install-solaris menus. 23 Sep 2005 install-solaris(1M)