Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Split one Variable into three Post 302367624 by Shellslave on Tuesday 3rd of November 2009 06:15:56 AM
Old 11-03-2009
Split one Variable into three

Hi

i have a variable $VAR =15 14 13,

i want to split this number and store in 3 variables say
$N1=15
$N2=14
$N3=13

i know its simple but my mind is not giving me answers at this point of time. i will be running the code in Solaris Box..please help

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk and split and variable used prior

I am trying to use awk and its split function to get the number of tokens in a string that are seperated by underscores. ex_alex_is_testing_this_script_ex would return 7. It works when I directly put the string in. However, I can not get it to work when I try to refer to a variable used earlier... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rx82000
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Split a file with no pattern -- Split, Csplit, Awk

I have gone through all the threads in the forum and tested out different things. I am trying to split a 3GB file into multiple files. Some files are even larger than this. For example: split -l 3000000 filename.txt This is very slow and it splits the file with 3 million records in each... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: madhunk
10 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

split variable values into array

i have these values inside variable $blah BUNGA TERATAI 3 5055 ITH 1 0 0 0 1 1 JADE TRADER 143W ITH 4 0 0 0 4 4 MOL SPLENDOR 0307A ITH 3 0 0 0 3 3 so how do I split them into array with the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: finalight
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

split a variable into two

Hi, I have a variable with the value "hello world". I want to split this variable into two, so that i can write "hello" into one variable and "world" into another. Any idea how to do this? Thanks, Sri (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: srilaxmi
11 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash:How to split one string variable in two variables?

Hello, I have a paramter $param consisting just of two literals and want to split it into two parameters, so I can combine it to a new parameter <char1><string><char2>, but the following code didn't work: tmp_PARAM_1=cut -c1 $PARAM tmp_PARAM_2=cut -c2 $PARAM... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ABE2202
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Split variable length and variable format CSV file

Dear all, I have basic knowledge of Unix script and her I am trying to process variable length and variable format CSV file. The file length will depend on the numbers of Earnings/Deductions/Direct Deposits. And The format will depend on whether it is Earnings/Deductions or Direct Deposits... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: chechun
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to split a data assigned to a variable

The requirement is, there is a log file which contains a huge data. i need to get a particular field out of it by searching with another field. ex: 2011-03-28 13:00:07,423 : millis=231 q={ call get_data_account(?,?,?,?,?) }, params= i need to search for the word "get_data_account" in file... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Jassz
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

[Perl] Split lines into array - variable line items - variable no of lines.

Hi, I have the following lines that I would like to see in an array for easy comparisons and printing: Example 1: field1,field2,field3,field4,field5 value1,value2,value3,value4,value5Example 2: field1,field3,field4,field2,field5,field6,field7... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: ejdv
7 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk to split one field and print the last two fields within the split part.

Hello; I have a file consists of 4 columns separated by tab. The problem is the third fields. Some of the them are very long but can be split by the vertical bar "|". Also some of them do not contain the string "UniProt", but I could ignore it at this moment, and sort the file afterwards. Here is... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: yifangt
5 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Split and Rename Split Files

Hello, I need to split a file by number of records and rename each split file with actual filename pre-pended with 3 digit split number. What I have tried is the below command with 2 digit numeric value split -l 3 -d abc.txt F (# Will Produce split Files as F00 F01 F02) How to produce... (19 Replies)
Discussion started by: techedipro
19 Replies
UPSLOG(8)							    NUT Manual								 UPSLOG(8)

NAME
upslog - UPS status logger SYNOPSIS
upslog -h upslog [OPTIONS] DESCRIPTION
upslog is a daemon that will poll a UPS at periodic intervals, fetch the variables that interest you, format them, and write them to a file. The default format string includes variables that are supported by many common UPS models. See the description below to make your own. OPTIONS
-h Display the help message. -f format Monitor the UPS using this format string. Be sure to enclose format in quotes so your shell doesn't split it up. Valid escapes within this string are: %% Insert a single "%" %TIME format% Insert the time with strftime formatting %ETIME% Insert the number of seconds, ala time_t. This is now a 10 digit number. %HOST% insert the local hostname %UPSHOST% insert the host of the UPS being monitored %PID% insert the pid of upslog %VAR varname% insert the value of variable varname The default format string is: %TIME @Y@m@d @H@M@S% %VAR battery.charge% %VAR input.voltage% %VAR ups.load% [%VAR ups.status%] %VAR ups.temperature% %VAR input.frequency% -i interval Wait this many seconds between polls. This defaults to 30 seconds. If you require tighter timing, you should write your own logger using the upsclient(3) library. -l logfile Store the results in this file. You can use "-" for stdout, but upslog will remain in the foreground. -s ups Monitor this UPS. The format for this option is upsname[@hostname[:port]]. The default hostname is "localhost". -u username If started as root, upsmon will setuid(2) to the user id associated with username for security. If username is not defined, it will use the value that was compiled into the program. This defaults to "nobody", which is less than ideal. SERVICE DELAYS
The interval value is merely the number given to sleep(3) after running through the format string. Therefore, a query will actually take slightly longer than the interval, depending on the speed of your system. LOG ROTATION
upslog writes its PID to upslog.pid, and will reopen the log file if you send it a SIGHUP. This allows it to keep running when the log is rotated by an external program. SEE ALSO
Server: upsd(8) Clients: upsc(8), upscmd(8), upsrw(8), upsmon(8) Internet resources: The NUT (Network UPS Tools) home page: http://www.networkupstools.org/ Network UPS Tools 05/21/2012 UPSLOG(8)