Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Please review script for search in all files Post 302367502 by bkeep on Monday 2nd of November 2009 10:28:44 PM
Old 11-02-2009
Please review script for search in all files

I have written a little script to scan users home directories for certain commands located inside a file. The script is setup to include a small help section and allows for passing a username argument to override scanning of all users home directories.

A lot of searching and trial and error has went into this script on my part. I would appreciate it if some of you that actually know what you're doing can take a look at it for me. If you could give me some pointers, ideas, or suggestions I would be grateful.

Code:
#!/bin/bash

# default folder we will scan
DIR=/home

# a list of commands we need to check for
# seperate commands with a pipe |
LOOKFOR='@system|@shell_exec|@include|@shell'

function help {
  # setup small help list
  echo -e "Pass an aurgument via command line or run without args."
  echo -e "   example: ./filescanner.sh -u username\n"
  echo -e "  -u\t pass a username to run against a single account."
  echo -e "  -h\t This help message.\n"
}

function scanDir {
  # check if $1 else scan all user homes
  if [ "$1" ]; then
    # do stuff on single user
    if [ -d "$DIR/$1" ]; then
      list="$DIR/$1"
    else
      echo "User not found in the \$HOME directory"
      exit
    fi
  else
    # scan all home directories where a user account exists
    list=`grep $DIR /etc/passwd | cut -d: -f6`
  fi

echo "Checking files for $LOOKFOR."
  for i in $list; do
    path="$i/public_html"
    if [ -d "$path" ]; then
      # check if our path is a directory
      echo "Checking $i/public_html/"
      grep -H -E $LOOKFOR $i/public_html/* -R | cut -d: -f1
    else
      echo "No files to check; $path not a directory."
    fi
  done
}

while getopts  "hu:" flag
do
  case $flag in
    u )
      # echo "$flag" $OPTIND $OPTARG
      # read flag and pass to scanDir function
      scanDir $OPTARG
      exit
    ;;
    h )
      # if h call help function
      help
      exit
    ;;
    * )
      echo -e "Invalid option. Please use -h for help.\n"
      exit
    ;;
  esac
done

# no options passed scan all
scanDir

Best Regards,
Brandon

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Review the Shell Script

Hi, I want to copy all the log file except current date log from one server to another server. Log File will be like this LOGNIG_08_11_2008*.log For this cd /test/log date -d '1 day ago' "+%d_%m_%Y" -->This command gives previous day scp LOGSNIG_date -d '1 day ago' "+%d_%m_%Y"... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: srinivasvandana
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Please, review script.

Hi guys, I 've been brewing this shellscript, but I can't test it until next tuesday. In the meantime I am too curious wether it will work or not, so I'd like to hear your comments. Background: I want to watch the user quota for mailboxes in various email-domains on a IMAP-server. I have... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: algernonz
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Review Check list for Unix Shell Script

Hi, I need Unix Shell Script Review Check list in the format of word or excel. Can any one provide the review checklist for unix shell script. Pls. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: praka
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

a shell script for review.

I have written a bit of shell that lets our company check all our SSL certs. the aim is to have a list of servers and run this check from cron once a week. Our managers have decided that we will not run BASH, so it has been written in /bin/sh and only needs openssl, no perl, no bash, no extra... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: robsonde
8 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

shell script to search and copy files

Hello Im new to this forums, I would like some help regarding a script that I need in order to copy some files. Heres the scenario: I need to search several files which have a particular code inside, lets say "test" all of them on different directories. I need to copy all of them on a new... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: c.watson
4 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Script to search and copy files

HI everyone, I been to this site before for help and found my answers on other threads now I am posting my own :). I have a list of file names with out extensions on an txt file. I need a way for the script to search on the server for each file name and copy the files over to a new directory.... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: sergiol
12 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Please review error routines in my ksh script

The script distributes files from an AIX server using iether ftp or sftp depending on the constraint of the destination server. I am interested in having the error checking routine critically reviewed. I will only include an excerpt from the script concerning error trapping: (where $FTP_OUT is the... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: peleton
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Peer Review File/Folder Script

Hello *nix friends, I've written a shell script that allow web admin's to copy file/folder from a development site to the production site. It's more or less a poor man SVN. I'm posting the script here because I was able to get many questions answered through this forum and also, I want to... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: rwhite35
4 Replies
escape(1)							Mail Avenger 0.8.3							 escape(1)

NAME
escape - escape shell special characters in a string SYNOPSIS
escape string DESCRIPTION
escape prepends a "" character to all shell special characters in string, making it safe to compose a shell command with the result. EXAMPLES
The following is a contrived example showing how one can unintentionally end up executing the contents of a string: $ var='; echo gotcha!' $ eval echo hi $var hi gotcha! $ Using escape, one can avoid executing the contents of $var: $ eval echo hi `escape "$var"` hi ; echo gotcha! $ A less contrived example is passing arguments to Mail Avenger bodytest commands containing possibly unsafe environment variables. For example, you might write a hypothetical reject_bcc script to reject mail not explicitly addressed to the recipient: #!/bin/sh formail -x to -x cc -x resent-to -x resent-cc | fgrep "$1" > /dev/null && exit 0 echo "<$1>.. address does not accept blind carbon copies" exit 100 To invoke this script, passing it the recipient address as an argument, you would need to put the following in your Mail Avenger rcpt script: bodytest reject_bcc `escape "$RECIPIENT"` SEE ALSO
avenger(1), The Mail Avenger home page: <http://www.mailavenger.org/>. BUGS
escape is designed for the Bourne shell, which is what Mail Avenger scripts use. escape might or might not work with other shells. AUTHOR
David Mazieres Mail Avenger 0.8.3 2012-04-05 escape(1)