Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Help setting variable from file contents with spaces Post 302367415 by nrogers64 on Monday 2nd of November 2009 02:05:50 PM
Old 11-02-2009
It would be a long story for me to explain what I'm doing, but what you said worked! Thank you!

From your post, I learned that IFS stands for "Internal Field Separator", but what about "CFS"?

Thanks again!

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove spaces from first field, and write entire contents into other text file

Hi all, I have searched and found various threads about removing spaces from a field within a text file. Unfortunately, I have not found exactly what I'm looking for, nor am I adept enough to modify what I've found into what I need. I use the following command to remove the first line... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: carriehoff
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Storing the contents of a file in a variable

There is a file named file.txt whose contents are: +-----------------------------------+-----------+ | Variable_name | Value | +-----------------------------------+-----------+ | Aborted_clients | 0 | | Aborted_connects | 25683... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: proactiveaditya
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Read the contents of a file and store them in a variable

Hi Gurus, I am trying for a scenario where in I want to read the contents of a file line by line and then store them in variables. Below is the script: #!/bin/ksh while read line do id=`echo $line | cut -f1 -d |` name=`echo $line | cut -f2 -d |` echo $id ... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: svajhala
11 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to read contents of a file into variable :(

My file is in this format : username : student information : default shell : student ID Eg : joeb:Joe Bennett:/bin/csh:1234 jerryd:Jerry Daniels:/bin/csh:2345 deaverm: Deaver Michelle:/bin/bash:4356 joseyg:Josey Guerra:/bin/bash:8767 michaelh:Michael Hall:/bin/ksh:1547 I have to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dude_me5
1 Replies

5. Homework & Coursework Questions

How to read contents of a file into variable :(

Use and complete the template provided. The entire template must be completed. If you don't, your post may be deleted! 1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data: I have to read the contents of each field of a file creating user accounts. The file will be of format : ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: dude_me5
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Folder contents getting appended as strings while redirecting file contents to a variable

Hi one of the output of the command is as below # sed -n "/CCM-ResourceHealthCheck:/,/---------/{/CCM-ResourceHealthCheck:/d;/---------/d;p;}" Automation.OutputZ$zoneCounter | sed 's/$/<br>/' Resource List : <br> *************************** 1. row ***************************<br> ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vivek d r
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Select command with variable options having spaces or null contents

Hi, I'm having an issue trying to produce a hierarchical directory menu that has either any directories listed in a specific directory as options or options with spaces in the option content or null content. So the menu function gets passed a base directory, it then lists any .sh scripts in... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: andyatit
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Echo variable contents into a text file...

Hi all, I am trying to create a script to read my Windows UUIDs and create mounts in fstab. I know there are different and maybe even better ways to mount Windows partitions at boot time, but I always manually create them in fstab successfully. I do a clean install of Ubuntu often and would like to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ian Pride
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

HTML: Display contents of file using Variable

<tr><td bgcolor=#D7EBAD><b>Instructions :</b></td> <td>`cat temp.txt`</td></tr> Hi Experts, I have an requirement of displaying file contents in HTML mail , for which am using the above approach, Where as the output is kind of not as expected. If there are 5 lines in the file, in the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: scott_cog
4 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Storing file contents to a variable

Hi All, I was trying a shell script. I was unable to store file contents to a variable in the script. I have tried the below but unable to do it. Input = `cat /path/op.diary` Input = $(<op.diary) I am using ksh shell. I want to store the 'op.diary' file contents to the variable 'Input'... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: am24
12 Replies
CHECKBASHISMS(1)					      General Commands Manual						  CHECKBASHISMS(1)

NAME
checkbashisms - check for bashisms in /bin/sh scripts SYNOPSIS
checkbashisms script ... checkbashisms --help|--version DESCRIPTION
checkbashisms, based on one of the checks from the lintian system, performs basic checks on /bin/sh shell scripts for the possible presence of bashisms. It takes the names of the shell scripts on the command line, and outputs warnings if possible bashisms are detected. Note that the definition of a bashism in this context roughly equates to "a shell feature that is not required to be supported by POSIX"; this means that some issues flagged may be permitted under optional sections of POSIX, such as XSI or User Portability. In cases where POSIX and Debian Policy disagree, checkbashisms by default allows extensions permitted by Policy but may also provide options for stricter checking. OPTIONS
--help, -h Show a summary of options. --newline, -n Check for "echo -n" usage (non POSIX but required by Debian Policy 10.4.) --posix, -p Check for issues which are non POSIX but required to be supported by Debian Policy 10.4 (implies -n). --force, -f Force each script to be checked, even if it would normally not be (for instance, it has a bash or non POSIX shell shebang or appears to be a shell wrapper). --extra, -x Highlight lines which, whilst they do not contain bashisms, may be useful in determining whether a particular issue is a false posi- tive which may be ignored. For example, the use of "$BASH_ENV" may be preceded by checking whether "$BASH" is set. --version, -v Show version and copyright information. EXIT VALUES
The exit value will be 0 if no possible bashisms or other problems were detected. Otherwise it will be the sum of the following error val- ues: 1 A possible bashism was detected. 2 A file was skipped for some reason, for example, because it was unreadable or not found. The warning message will give details. SEE ALSO
lintian(1). AUTHOR
checkbashisms was originally written as a shell script by Yann Dirson <dirson@debian.org> and rewritten in Perl with many more features by Julian Gilbey <jdg@debian.org>. DEBIAN
Debian Utilities CHECKBASHISMS(1)