Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Dropping Records for unknown reason in awk script Post 302367376 by steadyonabix on Monday 2nd of November 2009 11:06:13 AM
Old 11-02-2009
Another approach is to diff the input and output files and redirect the differences to a file. Then open the file and look to see why the matches in your awk fail for those lines. You can go to the character postions and confirm if the patterns you are trying to match are what you expect.Good luck

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

why my script stopped- any reason(urgent please)

Hi Friends, iam running some scripts, which are all off suddenly stopping. Can any one tell me the reason why it happend. Is there any reason to stop the scripts. Thanks Krishna. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: krishna9
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk out an unknown column ?

I need a solution to awk out an unknown column. I am unable to say '{print $x}' because the location changes. I would like to find a perl or awk solution to this. I do not know either very well but am trying to delve deeper into both. I am looking for the version of pkg8 in this example. Please... (17 Replies)
Discussion started by: i9300
17 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Finding out how long a script runs for and exit reason.

I am running a daemon program that sends texts via a connected mobile phone. I run this daemon via CLI, and it loops a few commands (checking to see if there are any new texts). It runs perfectly, the problem is, when I leave this to run on my Ubuntu Desktop, and come back to it hours later it... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: daydreamer
2 Replies

4. Linux

Need awk script for removing duplicate records

I have huge txt file having millions of trade data. For e.g Trade.txt (first 8 lines in the file is header info) COB_DATE,TRADE_ID,SOURCE_SYSTEM_TRADE_ID,TRADE_GROUP_ID, TRADE_TYPE,DEALER_NAME,EXTERNAL_COUNTERPARTY_ID, EXTERNAL_COUNTERPARTY_NAME,DB_COUNTERPARTY_ID,... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: nmumbarkar
6 Replies

5. Linux

Need awk script for removing duplicate records

I have log file having Traffic line 2011-05-21 15:11:50.356599 TCP (6), length: 52) 10.10.10.1.3020 > 10.10.10.254.50404: 2011-05-21 15:11:50.652739 TCP (6), length: 52) 10.10.10.254.50404 > 10.10.10.1.3020: 2011-05-21 15:11:50.652558 TCP (6), length: 89) 10.10.10.1.3020 >... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Rastamed
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk script for getting the selected records from a file.

Hello, I have attached one file named file.txt . I have to create a file using the awk script with the records in which 38th position is P and not V . ex it should have 00501 HOLTSVILLE NYP00501 and it should not include 00501 I R S SERVICE CENTER ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sonam273
3 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Unix script seems to be momentarily creating child process for unknown reason

Hi, I have a unix script that basically has a while loop inside which it checks Oracle database for certain records. If it finds the records, it does some processing and then goes back to the while loop. If it doesnot find any matching records, then it sleeps for 30 seconds and then goes back to... (17 Replies)
Discussion started by: waavman
17 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Print Unknown Number of User Inputs in awk

Hello, I am new to awk and I am trying to figure out how to print an output based on user input. For example: ubuntu:~/scripts$ steps="step1, step2, step3" ubuntu:~/scripts$ echo $steps step1, step2, step3 I am playing around and I got this pattern that I want: ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: tattoostreet
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk to update unknown value in file using range of another

I am trying to use awk to update all the unknown values in $6 of file2, if the $4 value in file 2 is within the range of $1 of file1. If there is already a value in $6 other then unknown, it is skipped and the next line is processed. In my awk attempt below the final output is 6 tab-delimited... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
6 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

SSH is failing due to unknown reason

Hi, I have setup keys between user1@server1 and user2@server2 however, the ssh is failing. server1 is Linux 3.10.0-514.6.2.el7.x86_64 #1 SMP whereas server2 is 5.10 Generic_150400-40 sun4v sparc sun4v I have checked port 22 to be open and keys to be correct. I also find the permissions... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohtashims
3 Replies
bdiff(1)							   User Commands							  bdiff(1)

NAME
bdiff - big diff SYNOPSIS
bdiff filename1 filename2 [n] [-s] DESCRIPTION
bdiff is used in a manner analogous to diff to find which lines in filename1 and filename2 must be changed to bring the files into agree- ment. Its purpose is to allow processing of files too large for diff. If filename1 (filename2) is -, the standard input is read. bdiff ignores lines common to the beginning of both files, splits the remainder of each file into n-line segments, and invokes diff on cor- responding segments. If both optional arguments are specified, they must appear in the order indicated above. The output of bdiff is exactly that of diff, with line numbers adjusted to account for the segmenting of the files (that is, to make it look as if the files had been processed whole). Note: Because of the segmenting of the files, bdiff does not necessarily find a smallest sufficient set of file differences. OPTIONS
n The number of line segments. The value of n is 3500 by default. If the optional third argument is given and it is numeric, it is used as the value for n. This is useful in those cases in which 3500-line segments are too large for diff, causing it to fail. -s Specifies that no diagnostics are to be printed by bdiff (silent option). Note: However, this does not suppress possible diagnos- tic messages from diff, which bdiff calls. USAGE
See largefile(5) for the description of the behavior of bdiff when encountering files greater than or equal to 2 Gbyte ( 2**31 bytes). FILES
/tmp/bd????? ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWesu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |CSI |enabled | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
diff(1), attributes(5), largefile(5) DIAGNOSTICS
Use help for explanations. SunOS 5.10 14 Sep 1992 bdiff(1)