Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting issue invoking shell script using cron, even with proper file permission Post 302367356 by methyl on Monday 2nd of November 2009 10:05:37 AM
Old 11-02-2009
The backticks are not required in this context and cause the script to be unpredicatable whether run from the command line or from cron. Also the "echo" is probably not required if you want to get the current date into file ech.txt.

Code:
#!/bin/ksh
date > ech.txt

From your later post.
Quote:
21 11 30 * * /pkgs/roots/scripts/Myscript.ksh 2>&1 > /pkgs/roots/scripts/tempfile.txt
The script does not output anything which is why tempfile.txt is empty. Any syntax errors etc. will be in unix mail for the user issuing the cron.

The cron will of course only execute when it is 11:21 on the 30th of the month.

Last edited by methyl; 11-02-2009 at 11:09 AM.. Reason: Typo. Afterthought,

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Wrong Shell Invoking My Script On Linux

I have a shell script that does NOT have the '#!' line at the top. It is written for ksh. The shell in my passwd entry is '/usr/bin/ksh' and my SHELL env variable is '/usr/bin/ksh'. Now, here's the issue. I invoke the script on Solaris with './myprog'. This works fine. I also run the same... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kowrip
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

invoking one shell script from other

hi, i am one day old in shell scritpting. how to invoke one shell script from the other? For eg.i have two shell scripts A.sh and B.sh. Inside A.sh i need to invoke B.sh and the return code of A.sh should be the value returned by B.sh. it would be better if you provide any sample shell... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ajay xavier
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Invoking Shell Script via php

list me commands to invoke a shell script from php once the submit button is clicked in the php page. Requirement is Once a submit button is clicked it should run a script that displays the outcome of the script in a html/php. Please help. Thanks in Advance, BubeshJ (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bubeshj
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script for accessing a file in the network drive and invoking oracle sql loader

Hi, Please let me know if anybody is having a solution handy for the below tasks... It would be helpful if somebody can resolve my query. I am new to unix and oracle environment and looking for some online reference for completing a task. Task: Check if the network drive exists Check... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: sayydevara
0 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

invoking a shell script inside cgi shell script

Hi, I have an HTML form through which I get some text as input. i need to run a shell script say script.sh inside a perl-cgi script named main_cgi.sh on the form input. I want to write the contents of the form in a file and then perform some command line operations like grep, cat on the text... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: smriti_shridhar
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Invoking shell script with perl command.

Hi All, I am using the following command to invoke the shell script from a perl command. perl -i.bak -pe'BEGIN { $cmd = "/opt/coreservices/tomcat-5.5.9/bin/digest.sh -a sha"; } s/(password=")(*)/ $1.`$cmd $2|cut -d: -f2|tr -d "\n"` /e ' $CATALINA_HOME/conf/tomcat-users.xml I need... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: nua7
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Invoking one shell script from another unix box

Hello All, I have a shell script A which is in one unix box. Also i have a script B in another unix box. Now i'm struggling to find a way to invoke A shell script from B shell script. Is it possible to do this in any way..Request you anybody please help me in this point. Thanks in advance. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: RSC1985
6 Replies

8. Infrastructure Monitoring

Proper permission /etc/snmp/snmpd.conf

Hi All, I'm hardening my linux. And I came across with this file. /etc/snmp/snmpd.conf It's current mod is 644 with root:root ownership and group. Can I make this 640 without hurting the OS? Meaning no public read access. Does other resources need to read to it? Thanks and more... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: itik
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem invoking shell script

whats wrong here?! ________________ #!/bin/sh # FILE: clean_dirs # GOAL : To clean up directories used in Oracle processing # LANGUAGE : shell script (sh) # PARAMETERS : Input_File # 11/07/02 acri - modified to cd into the directory so it will... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: gillraj
7 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Invoking Application in Shell Script

Hi All, I have a scenario : 1. A list of servers naming server21, server 22, server 23 etc. This list of servers is separate for my environments. Env1 has 3 server Env2 has 5 serves Env3 has 10 servers 2. Each server accesses application through which I want to invoke some method. So... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: ankur328
7 Replies
cron(1M)						  System Administration Commands						  cron(1M)

NAME
cron - clock daemon SYNOPSIS
/usr/sbin/cron DESCRIPTION
cron starts a process that executes commands at specified dates and times. You can specify regularly scheduled commands to cron according to instructions found in crontab files in the directory /var/spool/cron/crontabs. Users can submit their own crontab file using the crontab(1) command. Commands which are to be executed only once can be submitted using the at(1) command. cron only examines crontab or at command files during its own process initialization phase and when the crontab or at command is run. This reduces the overhead of checking for new or changed files at regularly scheduled intervals. As cron never exits, it should be executed only once. This is done routinely by way of the svc:/system/cron:default service. The file /etc/cron.d/FIFO file is used as a lock file to prevent the execution of more than one instance of cron. cron captures the output of the job's stdout and stderr streams, and, if it is not empty, mails the output to the user. If the job does not produce output, no mail is sent to the user. An exception is if the job is an at(1) job and the -m option was specified when the job was submitted. cron and at jobs are not executed if your account is locked. Jobs and processses execute. The shadow(4) file defines which accounts are not locked and will have their jobs and processes executed. Setting cron Jobs Across Timezones The timezone of the cron daemon sets the system-wide timezone for cron entries. This, in turn, is by set by default system-wide using /etc/default/init. If some form of daylight savings or summer/winter time is in effect, then jobs scheduled during the switchover period could be executed once, twice, or not at all. Setting cron Defaults To keep a log of all actions taken by cron, you must specify CRONLOG=YES in the /etc/default/cron file. If you specify CRONLOG=NO, no log- ging is done. Keeping the log is a user configurable option since cron usually creates huge log files. You can specify the PATH for user cron jobs by using PATH= in /etc/default/cron. You can set the PATH for root cron jobs using SUPATH= in /etc/default/cron. Carefully consider the security implications of setting PATH and SUPATH. Example /etc/default/cron file: CRONLOG=YES PATH=/usr/bin:/usr/ucb: This example enables logging and sets the default PATH used by non-root jobs to /usr/bin:/usr/ucb:. Root jobs continue to use /usr/sbin:/usr/bin. The cron log file is periodically rotated by logadm(1M). FILES
/etc/cron.d Main cron directory /etc/cron.d/FIFO Lock file /etc/default/cron cron default settings file /var/cron/log cron history information /var/spool/cron Spool area /etc/cron.d/queuedefs Queue description file for at, batch, and cron /etc/logadm.conf Configuration file for logadm ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
svcs(1), at(1), crontab(1), sh(1), logadm(1M), svcadm(1M), queuedefs(4), shadow(4), attributes(5), smf(5) NOTES
The cron service is managed by the service management facility, smf(5), under the service identifier: svc:/system/cron:default Administrative actions on this service, such as enabling, disabling, or requesting restart, can be performed using svcadm(1M). The ser- vice's status can be queried using the svcs(1) command. DIAGNOSTICS
A history of all actions taken by cron is stored in /var/cron/log and possibly in /var/cron/olog. SunOS 5.10 5 Aug 2004 cron(1M)