Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Regular Expressions
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Regular Expressions Post 302367320 by ghostdog74 on Monday 2nd of November 2009 08:41:30 AM
Old 11-02-2009
you don't need that much regular expression. just split on space
Code:
@s = split /\s+/ , $word;

then go through each element of @s to get your word.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

regular expressions in c++

How do I use the regular expressions in c++? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: szzz
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

regular expressions

Hi, can anyone advise me how to shorten this: if || ; then I tried but it dosent seem to work, whats the correct way. Cheers (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jack1981
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with regular expressions

I have following content in the file CancelPolicyMultiLingual3=U|PC3|EN RestaurantInfoCode1=U|restID1|1 ..... I am trying to use following matching extression \|(+) to get this PC3|EN restID1|1 Obviously it does not work. Any ideas? (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: arushunter
13 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

regular expressions

Hi Gurus, I need help with regular expressions. I want to create a regular expression which will take only alpha-numeric characters for 7 characters long and will throw out an error if longer than that. i tried various combinations but couldn't get it, please help me how to get it guys. ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ragha81
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

regular expressions

Hello, Let say I have a string with content "Free 100%". How can extract only "100" using ksh? I would this machanism to work if instead of "100" there is any kind of combination of numbers(ex. "32", "1238", "1"). I want to get only the digits. I have written something like this: ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: whatever
4 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Regular Expressions

Hi, below is a piece of code written by my predecessor at work. I'm kind of a newbie and am trying to figure out all the regular expressions in this piece of code. It is really a tough time for me to figure out all the regular expressions. Please shed some light on the regular expressions... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ramky79
3 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Regular expressions

In regular expressions with grep(or egrep), ^ works if we want something in starting of line..but what if we write ^^^ or ^ for pattern matching??..Hope u all r familiar with regular expressions for pattern matching.. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: aadi_uni
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with regular expressions

I have a file that I'm trying to find all the cases of phone number extensions and deleting them. So input file looks like: abc x93825 def 13234 x52673 hello output looks like: abc def 13234 hello Basically delete lines that have 5 numbers following "x". I tried: x\(4) but it... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: pxalpine
7 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Regular Expressions

I am new to shell scripts.Can u please help me on this req. test_user = "Arun" if echo "test_user is a word" else echo "test_user is not a word" (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: chandrababu
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Regular expressions

I need to pick a part of string lets stay started with specific character and end with specific character to replace using sed command the line is like this:my audio book 71-skhdfon1dufgjhgf8.wav' I want to move the characters beginning with - end before. I have different files with random... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: XP_2600
2 Replies
Perl::Critic::Policy::BuiltinFunctions::ProhibitStringySUser(Contributed Perl DocumPerl::Critic::Policy::BuiltinFunctions::ProhibitStringySplit(3)

NAME
Perl::Critic::Policy::BuiltinFunctions::ProhibitStringySplit - Write "split /-/, $string" instead of "split '-', $string". AFFILIATION
This Policy is part of the core Perl::Critic distribution. DESCRIPTION
The "split" function always interprets the PATTERN argument as a regular expression, even if you specify it as a string. This causes much confusion if the string contains regex metacharacters. So for clarity, always express the PATTERN argument as a regex. $string = 'Fred|Barney'; @names = split '|', $string; #not ok, is ('F', 'r', 'e', 'd', '|', 'B', 'a' ...) @names = split m/[|]/, $string; #ok, is ('Fred', Barney') When the PATTERN is a single space the "split" function has special behavior, so Perl::Critic forgives that usage. See "perldoc -f split" for more information. CONFIGURATION
This Policy is not configurable except for the standard options. SEE ALSO
Perl::Critic::Policy::ControlStrucutres::RequireBlockGrep Perl::Critic::Policy::ControlStrucutres::RequireBlockMap AUTHOR
Jeffrey Ryan Thalhammer <jeff@imaginative-software.com> COPYRIGHT
Copyright (c) 2005-2011 Imaginative Software Systems. All rights reserved. This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. The full text of this license can be found in the LICENSE file included with this module. perl v5.16.3 2014-06-09 Perl::Critic::Policy::BuiltinFunctions::ProhibitStringySplit(3)