Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting BASH. Need to extract some numbers and take the average Post 302367205 by ghostdog74 on Sunday 1st of November 2009 11:44:14 PM
Old 11-02-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by daptal
Code:
 cat abc.txt | perl -e 'while ( <>){ ..... }

Replace abc.txt with your file name

HTH,
PL
if you want to use Perl, use Perl. There's no need to cat the file. Pass it into perl as an argument. Also, don't cram everything into one line like that. Its hard to read and troubleshoot. Indent your code where necessary.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

extract numbers from a word

Hi ppl, I am a bit lost on this...can some one assist. I know this can be down with awk or sed, but i cant get the exact syntax right. I need to only extract the numbers from a signle word ( eg abcd.123.xyz ) How can i extract 123 only ? Thanks (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: systemali
14 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract numbers from text file work out average

Just wondering if someone could assist me with shell script I'm trying to write. I need to read the final column of a text file (shown below) and workout what the average number is. The text file will have a variable number of lines, I just want the script to pull out the values in the final field... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: rich@ardz
14 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Taking a average of a column of numbers

Hey all, I am relatively poor at programming and unfortunately don't have time to read about programming at this current moment. I wanted to be able to run a simple command to read a column of numbers in a file and give me the average of those numbers. In addition if I could specify the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Leonidsg
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Number of elements, average value, min & max from a list of numbers using awk

Hi all, I have a list of numbers. I need an awk command to find out the numbers of elements (number of numbers, sort to speak), the average value the min and max value. Reading the list only once, with awk. Any ideas? Thanks! (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: black_fender
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash script affect load average

Hello I have created next scritpt to do the next: chekp if host is alive. When the host down, launch telnet other equip to do checks. When execute the script the load average of the machines increase. For example: Before launch script top - 11:14:56 up 14 days, 18:06, 3 users, load... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: capilla
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to take a Average of numbers from different files?

Hi, I have 3 to 4 different files, from that i need to take a Average of numbers from a particular column. here i have to take 4th column, that should present in diff. file. File 1: Col1 col2 col3 col4 1 11 sa 12.00 2 22 sb 134.59 3 33 sc 11.99 4 44 sd 12.44 Col1 col2 col3... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Shenbaga.d
8 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk or Bash: Cumulative average

For the data I would like to parse down and for each parsing I want a cumulative averaging, stored in an array that can be output. I.e. 546/NR = 546 (546+344)/NR=(546+344)/2 = etc. For N record input I want N values of the average (a block averaging effectively) Any... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: chrisjorg
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract numbers from file name-how to ?

Hello friends,I am new to Unix programming. how do I achieve the following in Unix shell script (I am running ksh on AIX) extract the number from name of file? My file format is like "LongFileName-1234.020614-221030.txt" now I want to extract value which is between (-) hyphen and (.) dot... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: f150
4 Replies

9. Solaris

How is Load Average computed and what are better numbers?

Hello All, What is load average and how is it computed in Solaris 10? What are the different ranges for normal, warning and danger signs? Kindly clarify. Thank you, Sunil Kumar (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: msgforsunil
3 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Substr with % - extract numbers only

# cat /etc/redhat-release Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server release 7.5 (Maipo) I have this script that will monitor filesystems and send me e-amil alerts. #! /bin/ksh DIST_LIST=monitor@...com WORKDIR=/home/monitor WARNLEVEL=90 MAIL_SUBJ="filesystems monitor on "$(hostname) ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: danielshell
3 Replies
gnomevfs-cat(1) 						   User Commands						   gnomevfs-cat(1)

NAME
gnomevfs-cat - print a file to standard output using the VFS system SYNOPSIS
gnomevfs-cat URI DESCRIPTION
gnomevfs-cat prints a file to standard output using the virtual file system to access the file via a URI. OPERANDS
The following operands are supported: URI Specifies the file location in standard URI format. EXAMPLES
Example 1: Cat a File From a Web Server example% gnomevfs-cat http://www.sun.com Example 2: Cat a Local File example% gnomevfs-cat file:///home/user/README.txt ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
See environ(5) for descriptions of the following environment variables: NLSPATH. EXIT STATUS
The exit value 0 is returned regardless of success or failure. FILES
The following files are used by this application: /usr/bin/gnomevfs-cat Executable to print a file to standard output using the VFS system ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWgnome-vfs | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface stability |External | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
gnomevfs-copy(1), gnomevfs-info(1), gnomevfs-ls(1), gnomevfs-mkdir(1) NOTES
Written by Stephen Browne, Sun Microsystems Inc., 2004. SunOS 5.10 6 Sep 2004 gnomevfs-cat(1)