Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting PERL: reading 2 column data into Hash file Post 302367203 by daptal on Sunday 1st of November 2009 11:24:31 PM
Old 11-02-2009
Code:
while(my $line = <FILE>) {
        chomp $line;
        if ($line){
                if ($line =~ m/HOSTNAME\ (.*)/){
                        $hostname = $1;
                }
                else {
                        my ($k,$v) = split(" ",$line);
                        $hash{$hostname}{$k} = $v;
                }
        }
}
foreach my $host(sort keys %hash){
        print "$host \n";
        print "$_\t$hash{$host}{$_}\n" foreach (keys %{$hash{$host}});
        print "-"x80,"\n";
}

You are not storing the data properly. Also try to use the file open using the 3 parameter standard Eg:-
Code:
open my $fh, '<', "$filename" || die "couldnot open the filename $!";

Also when ever you are using to check what is the data you are storing in the hashes always use Data:: Dumper. Its very handy

HTH,
PL
This User Gave Thanks to daptal For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Column data reading

Experts I am new to UNIX shell programming ( or scripting). My problem is that I have an ASCII file in which column wise data is present, the columns are seperated by spaces. I want to read each columns data and store it in arrays, next I will be using the arrays to perform some numerical... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: FarhanNaseer
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

perl-extract data from hash values

Hello, I have parsed an xml file using perl to get the hash values and the output looks like this $VAR1 = { 'RT' => { 'List' => { 'String' => ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: userscript
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl Hash:Can not keep hash data in the same order that it was inserted

Can Someone explain me why even using Tie::IxHash I can not get the output data in the same order that it was inserted? See code below. #!/usr/bin/perl use warnings; use Tie::IxHash; use strict; tie (my %programs, "Tie::IxHash"); while (my $line = <DATA>) { chomp $line; my(... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jgfcoimbra
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl: Reading data from other file

Hi, I am writting some perl scripts for daily backup process. In which I want to pass some data/referance from another txt file. Text file contains only one column and multiple rows. I want to pass this data to variables of another perl script. e.g. Refdoc.txt file contains data as: perl1... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: n.dba
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove default data hash sorting in perl script?

Hi, I have a datahash with 'n' number of values in perl script. I am writing a xml file from the datahash. I am getting output with sorting(Field sorting). My question is that i don't want any default sorting.whatever i am inserting into datahash it should give same xml file. Any help? ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: solo123
0 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Reading a column from xls file using perl

Hi Everyone! I have a problem in reading a specific column from .xls file using perl language and then manipulating on given criteria. Detailed Description of the problem:: I have one .xls file, in which i have to populate two columns based on Period_date column which is in same file. My... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kvth
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl Script for reading table format data from file.

Hi, i need a perl script which reads the file, content is given below. and output in new file. TARGET DRIVE IO1 IO2 IO3 IO4 IO5 ------------ --------- --------- --------- --------- --------- 0a.1.8 266 236 ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: asak
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

AWK, Perl or Shell? Unique strings and their maximum values from 3 column data file

I have a file containing data like so: 2012-01-02 GREEN 4 2012-01-02 GREEN 6 2012-01-02 GREEN 7 2012-01-02 BLUE 4 2012-01-02 BLUE 3 2012-01-02 GREEN 4 2012-01-02 RED 4 2012-01-02 RED 8 2012-01-02 GREEN 4 2012-01-02 YELLOW 5 2012-01-02 YELLOW 2 I can't always predict what the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: rich@ardz
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compare values of hashes of hash for n number of hash in perl without sorting.

Hi, I have an hashes of hash, where hash is dynamic, it can be n number of hash. i need to compare data_count values of all . my %result ( $abc => { 'data_count' => '10', 'ID' => 'ABC122', } $def => { 'data_count' => '20', 'ID' => 'defASe', ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: asak
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl :: reading values from Data Dumper reference in Perl

Hi all, I have written a perl code and stored the data into Data structure using Data::Dumper module. But not sure how to retreive the data from the Data::Dumper. Eg. Based on the key value( Here CRYPTO-6-IKMP_MODE_FAILURE I should be able to access the internal hash elements(keys) ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: scriptscript
1 Replies
ExtUtils::Packlist(3pm) 				 Perl Programmers Reference Guide				   ExtUtils::Packlist(3pm)

NAME
ExtUtils::Packlist - manage .packlist files SYNOPSIS
use ExtUtils::Packlist; my ($pl) = ExtUtils::Packlist->new('.packlist'); $pl->read('/an/old/.packlist'); my @missing_files = $pl->validate(); $pl->write('/a/new/.packlist'); $pl->{'/some/file/name'}++; or $pl->{'/some/other/file/name'} = { type => 'file', from => '/some/file' }; DESCRIPTION
ExtUtils::Packlist provides a standard way to manage .packlist files. Functions are provided to read and write .packlist files. The original .packlist format is a simple list of absolute pathnames, one per line. In addition, this package supports an extended format, where as well as a filename each line may contain a list of attributes in the form of a space separated list of key=value pairs. This is used by the installperl script to differentiate between files and links, for example. USAGE
The hash reference returned by the new() function can be used to examine and modify the contents of the .packlist. Items may be added/deleted from the .packlist by modifying the hash. If the value associated with a hash key is a scalar, the entry written to the .packlist by any subsequent write() will be a simple filename. If the value is a hash, the entry written will be the filename followed by the key=value pairs from the hash. Reading back the .packlist will recreate the original entries. FUNCTIONS
new() This takes an optional parameter, the name of a .packlist. If the file exists, it will be opened and the contents of the file will be read. The new() method returns a reference to a hash. This hash holds an entry for each line in the .packlist. In the case of old- style .packlists, the value associated with each key is undef. In the case of new-style .packlists, the value associated with each key is a hash containing the key=value pairs following the filename in the .packlist. read() This takes an optional parameter, the name of the .packlist to be read. If no file is specified, the .packlist specified to new() will be read. If the .packlist does not exist, Carp::croak will be called. write() This takes an optional parameter, the name of the .packlist to be written. If no file is specified, the .packlist specified to new() will be overwritten. validate() This checks that every file listed in the .packlist actually exists. If an argument which evaluates to true is given, any missing files will be removed from the internal hash. The return value is a list of the missing files, which will be empty if they all exist. packlist_file() This returns the name of the associated .packlist file EXAMPLE
Here's "modrm", a little utility to cleanly remove an installed module. #!/usr/local/bin/perl -w use strict; use IO::Dir; use ExtUtils::Packlist; use ExtUtils::Installed; sub emptydir($) { my ($dir) = @_; my $dh = IO::Dir->new($dir) || return(0); my @count = $dh->read(); $dh->close(); return(@count == 2 ? 1 : 0); } # Find all the installed packages print("Finding all installed modules... "); my $installed = ExtUtils::Installed->new(); foreach my $module (grep(!/^Perl$/, $installed->modules())) { my $version = $installed->version($module) || "???"; print("Found module $module Version $version "); print("Do you want to delete $module? [n] "); my $r = <STDIN>; chomp($r); if ($r && $r =~ /^y/i) { # Remove all the files foreach my $file (sort($installed->files($module))) { print("rm $file "); unlink($file); } my $pf = $installed->packlist($module)->packlist_file(); print("rm $pf "); unlink($pf); foreach my $dir (sort($installed->directory_tree($module))) { if (emptydir($dir)) { print("rmdir $dir "); rmdir($dir); } } } } AUTHOR
Alan Burlison <Alan.Burlison@uk.sun.com> perl v5.16.2 2012-10-11 ExtUtils::Packlist(3pm)