Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Sed to print a string until the second occurrence of a character Post 302367089 by Scrutinizer on Sunday 1st of November 2009 07:25:01 AM
Old 11-01-2009
Alternatively if the requirement can be stretched so that extension that needs to be cut always starts with a number then this would work too:
Code:
bkp=$(echo "c:\working\html\index.txt.12-12-2009.bkp" | sed 's/\.[0-9].*//')

or if the cut off is always .string.string then we can use plain variable expansion:
Code:
bkp="c:\working\html\index.txt.12-12-2009.bkp"
echo ${bkp%.*.*}

Last edited by Scrutinizer; 11-01-2009 at 09:07 AM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

SED replace string by occurrence

hi all, I have a text file with following content PAGENUMBER asasasa asasasa PAGENUMBER sasasasasa PAGENUMBER using sed i want to replace PAGENUMBER by occurrence count eg 1 asasasa asasasa 2 sasasasasa 3 (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: uttamhoode
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace x Number of String Occurrence with Sed

Ok, So I have a huge file that has over 12000 lines in it. in this file, there are 589 occurrences of the string "use five-minute-interval" spread in various areas in the file. How can i replace the the last 250 of the occurrences of "use five-minute-interval" with "use... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: SkySmart
10 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sed/awk print between different patterns the first occurrence

Thanks for the help yesterday. I have a little modification today, I am trying the following: i have a log file of a webbap which logs in the following pattern: 2011-08-14 21:10:04,535 blablabla ERROR Exception1 blablabla bla bla bla bla 2011-08-14... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ppolianidis
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

[Solved] Sed/awk print between patterns the first occurrence

Guys, I am trying the following: i have a log file of a webbap which logs in the following pattern: 2011-08-14 21:10:04,535 blablabla ERROR blablabla bla bla bla bla 2011-08-14 21:10:04,535 blablabla ERROR blablabla bla bla bla ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: ppolianidis
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

find string nth occurrence in file and print line number

Hi I have requirement to find nth occurrence in a file and capture data from with in lines (between lines) Data in File. <QUOTE> <SESSION> <ATTRIBUTE NAME='Parameter Filename' VALUE='file1.parm'/> <ATTRIBUTE NAME='Service Name' VALUE='None'/> </SESSION> <SESSION> <ATTRIBUTE... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: tmalik79
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed print from last occurrence match until the end of file

Hi, i have file f1.txt with data like: CHECK a b CHECK c d CHECK e f JOB_START .... I want to match the last occurrence of 'CHECK' until the end of the file. I can use awk: awk '/^CHECK/ { buf = "" } { buf = buf "\n" $0 } END { print buf }' f1.txt | tail +2Is there a cleaner way of... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ysrini
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove last occurrence of character (_) and rest of the string in UNIX (sed)

Hi I need help on this ..!! Input : xx_abc_regA xx_def_regB xx_qwe_regC Now i required the output as the below abc def qwe Need to remove last occurrence of character (_) and rest of the string in Unix (sed). Thanks in Advance ..!!! -Nallachand (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Nallachand
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find last occurrence of a character in a string

Hello how to find last occurence of a string for example in the following I want last occurence of '-' i.e. position 12 str="aa-bbb-cccc-ddd-ee" my pupose is to get the string 'ee' Thanks and Regards Chetanz (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Chetanz
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to insert file contents after nth occurrence of a string using sed?

Hi, I would like to know how, using sed, be able to insert contents of file2 in file1 after say the second occurrence of a given string? e.g. > cat file1 banana apple orange apple banana pear tangerine apple > cat file2 I don't like apples What would be the sed command to insert... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: dimocn
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed print from last occurrence match until the end of last occurrence match

Hi, i have file file.txt with data like: START 03:11:30 a 03:11:40 b END START 03:13:30 eee 03:13:35 fff END jjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjj START 03:14:30 eee 03:15:30 fff END ggggggggggg iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii I want the below output START (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jyotshna
13 Replies
ShellQuote(3pm) 					User Contributed Perl Documentation					   ShellQuote(3pm)

NAME
String::ShellQuote - quote strings for passing through the shell SYNOPSIS
$string = shell_quote @list; $string = shell_quote_best_effort @list; $string = shell_comment_quote $string; DESCRIPTION
This module contains some functions which are useful for quoting strings which are going to pass through the shell or a shell-like object. shell_quote [string]... shell_quote quotes strings so they can be passed through the shell. Each string is quoted so that the shell will pass it along as a single argument and without further interpretation. If no strings are given an empty string is returned. If any string can't be safely quoted shell_quote will croak. shell_quote_best_effort [string]... This is like shell_quote, excpet if the string can't be safely quoted it does the best it can and returns the result, instead of dying. shell_comment_quote [string] shell_comment_quote quotes the string so that it can safely be included in a shell-style comment (the current algorithm is that a sharp character is placed after any newlines in the string). This routine might be changed to accept multiple string arguments in the future. I haven't done this yet because I'm not sure if the strings should be joined with blanks ($") or nothing ($,). Cast your vote today! Be sure to justify your answer. EXAMPLES
$cmd = 'fuser 2>/dev/null ' . shell_quote @files; @pids = split ' ', `$cmd`; print CFG "# Configured by: ", shell_comment_quote($ENV{LOGNAME}), " "; BUGS
Only Bourne shell quoting is supported. I'd like to add other shells (particularly cmd.exe), but I'm not familiar with them. It would be a big help if somebody supplied the details. AUTHOR
Roderick Schertler <roderick@argon.org> SEE ALSO
perl(1). perl v5.8.4 2005-05-03 ShellQuote(3pm)