Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers sed/grep string replace question Post 302366994 by Mike AAA on Saturday 31st of October 2009 08:18:39 AM
Old 10-31-2009
Legends.

My sed didnt have the -i option but I used your second suggestion.

Thanks both of you for responding so quickly.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed - replace string question

Hi Everybody Uning sed I need to replace: "count(user) = 0" -o "uid = ftp" -n -o "gid = ftp" by "read only = no" Thanks in advance. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: danmero
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed: replace string with another string (with spaces)

Hi I have an XML file with strings XABCD, XEFGHX and XIJKLX. I would like to replace XABCDX with "This is the first string", XEFGHX with "This is the second string" and XIJKLX with "This is the third string". What is the best way to implement this? Should I have a file with the data that is... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: zmfcat1
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using sed to replace a string in file with a string in a variable that contains spaces

Hi, i call my shell like: my_shell "my project name" my script: #!/bin/bash -vx projectname=$1 sed s/'PROJECT_NAME ='/'PROJECT_NAME = '$projectname/ <test_config_doxy >temp cp temp test_config_doxy the following error occurres: sed s/'PROJECT_NAME ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vivelafete
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

replace (sed?) a string in file with multiple lines (string) from variable

Can someone tell me how I can do this? e.g: a=$(echo -e wert trewt ertert ertert ertert erttert erterte rterter tertertert ert) How do i replace the STRING with $a? I try this: sed -i 's/STRING/'"$a"'/g' filename.ext but this don' t work (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jforce
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

QUESTION1: grep only exact string. QUESTION2: find and replace only exact value with sed

QUESTION1: How do you grep only an exact string. I am using Solaris10 and do not have any GNU products installed. Contents of car.txt CAR1_KEY0 CAR1_KEY1 CAR2_KEY0 CAR2_KEY1 CAR1_KEY10 CURRENT COMMAND LINE: WHERE VARIABLE CAR_NUMBER=1 AND KEY_NUMBER=1 grep... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: thibodc
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed or awk command to replace a string pattern with another string based on position of this string

here is what i want to achieve... consider a file contains below contents. the file size is large about 60mb cat dump.sql INSERT INTO `table1` (`id`, `action`, `date`, `descrip`, `lastModified`) VALUES (1,'Change','2011-05-05 00:00:00','Account Updated','2012-02-10... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: vivek d r
10 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep and sed (replace string in patterned lines)

Grep and Sed (replace string in patterned lines) Hi all, I want to grep for "PATTERN" and only if "PATTERN" is in a line, this line shall be used as replacement input e.g. for SED. I don't get it running in one line. NOT RUNNING - just first idea... I don't know how to redirect grep... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: unknown7
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with Passing the Output of grep to sed command - to find and replace a string in a file.

I have a file example.txt as follows :SomeTextGoesHere $$TODAY_DT=20140818 $$TODAY_DT=20140818 $$TODAY_DT=20140818I need to automatically update the date (20140818) in the above file, by getting the new date as argument, using a shell script. (It would even be better if I could pass... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: SriRamKrish
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace string in XML file with awk/sed with string from another

Sorry for the long/weird title but I'm stuck on a problem I have. I have this XML file: </member> <member> <name>TransactionID</name> <value><string>123456789123456</string></value> </member> <member> <name>Number</name> ... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: cozzin
9 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace string of a file with a string of another file for matches using grep,sed,awk

I have a file comp.pkglist which mention package version and release . In 'version change' and 'release change' line there are two versions 'old' and 'new' Version Change: --> Release Change: --> cat comp.pkglist Package list: nss-util-devel-3.28.4-1.el6_9.x86_64 Version Change: 3.28.4 -->... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Paras Pandey
1 Replies
ARITHMETIC(6)							 BSD Games Manual						     ARITHMETIC(6)

NAME
arithmetic -- quiz on simple arithmetic SYNOPSIS
arithmetic [-o +-x/] [-r range] DESCRIPTION
arithmetic asks you to solve problems in simple arithmetic. Each question must be answered correctly before going on to the next. After every 20 problems, it prints the score so far and the time taken. You can quit at any time by typing the interrupt or end-of-file character. The options are as follows: -o By default, arithmetic asks questions on addition of numbers from 0 to 10, and corresponding subtraction. By supplying one or more of the characters +-x/, you can ask for problems in addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division, respectively. If you give one of these characters more than once, that kind of problem will be asked correspondingly more often. -r If a range is supplied, arithmetic selects the numbers in its problems in the following way. For addition and multiplication, the numbers to be added or multiplied are between 0 and range, inclusive. For subtraction and division, both the required result and the number to divide by or subtract will be between 0 and range. (Of course, arithmetic will not ask you to divide by 0.) The default range is 10. When you get a problem wrong, arithmetic will remember the numbers involved, and will tend to select those numbers more often than others, in problems of the same sort. Eventually it will forgive and forget. arithmetic cannot be persuaded to tell you the right answer. You must work it out for yourself. DIAGNOSTICS
``What?'' if you get a question wrong. ``Right!'' if you get it right. ``Please type a number.'' if arithmetic doesn't understand what you typed. SEE ALSO
bc(1), dc(1) BSD
May 31, 1993 BSD