Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting urgent<parsing data from a excel file> Post 302366941 by thegeek on Friday 30th of October 2009 11:45:45 PM
Old 10-31-2009
Negative lookahead assertion can help you.

Code:
$ echo 'L1' | perl -ne 'print if /L1(?!MaLR)/'
L1
$ echo 'L1,MaLR' | perl -ne 'print if /L1(?!,MaLR)/'

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help on email data file as excel from unix!!

Hi, I need to email a data in excel sheet from unix using shell scripting.I could able to generate the data file with tab delimiter with extension .xls could able to email it. The problem is when a coulmn with 16 digit number is exported, it is showing in scientific format. Any help in... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sparan_peddu
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to copy data to to excel file

Hi, Can any one tell me how to copy data using shell script to a excel file from text file to other columns of excel file,leaving first column unaffected i.e it should not overwrite data in first column. Say my text file data is: 15-dec-2008 15-dec-2009 16-dec-2008 16-dec-2009 ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: tucs_123
7 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Copying data from excel file

Hii friends, I am a newbie to unix/shell scripting and got stuck in implementing a functionality.Dear experts,kindly spare some time to bring me out of dark pit :confused:.. My requirement is somewhat wierd,let me explain what i have and what i need to do... 1) there are several excel... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: 5ahen
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

store the table data in excel file

Hello - I have a below table and i want to extract the data into excel sheet and send to different location. Here is the table structure... SQL> desc t_i1_exportdocs Name Null? Type ----------------------------------------- --------... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: govindts
11 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

put data in excel file using shell script

Hi. I wish to add data in a specific excel file on daily basis.However the currect dat's data should always come on top i.e for example should always occupy cell A7,B7,C7 .. and the data of day before which was earlier on 7th row of each coloumn should move to 8th row..data on 8th row should... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kanus
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Data formatting in CSV file to EXCEL

Hello friends I want to convert an csv file on unix (which is generated by a ETL application) to a formatted excel sheet like .I have roughly like 28 columns 1)All numbers need to be stored as numbers with leading zeros-like format as text for this column to preserve leading zeroes e.g... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: etldev
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to generate Excel file or to SQL output data to Excel format/tabular format

Hi , i am generating some data by firing sql query with connecting to the database by my solaris box. The below one should be the header line of my excel ,here its coming in separate row. TO_CHAR(C. CURR_EMP_NO ---------- --------------- LST_NM... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: dani1234
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Formatting data to put it in the excel file

Hello, I have a file with the below contents : Policy Name: Backup_bkp Policy Type: Catalog_bkp Active: yes Effective date: 08/07/2013 02:02:12 Mult. Data Streams: no Client Encrypt: no Checkpoint: no Policy Priority: ... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: rahul2662
11 Replies
fmt(1)							      General Commands Manual							    fmt(1)

NAME
fmt - format text SYNOPSIS
width] [file...] DESCRIPTION
The command is a simple text formatter that fills and joins lines to produce output lines of (up to) the number of characters specified in the width option. The default width is 72. concatenates the arguments. If none are given, formats text from the standard input. Blank lines are preserved in the output, as is the spacing between words. does not fill lines beginning with a period for compatibility with Nor does it fill lines starting with Indentation is preserved in the output and input lines with differing indentation are not joined (unless is used). can also be used as an in-line text filter for the command: reformats the text between the cursor location and the end of the paragraph. Options recognizes the following options: Crown margin mode. Preserve the indentation of the first two lines within a paragraph and align the left margin of each subsequent line with that of the second line. This is useful for tagged paragraphs. Split lines only. Do not join short lines to form longer ones. This prevents sample lines of code, and other such "formatted" text, from being unduly combined. Fill output lines to up to width columns. WARNINGS
The width option is acceptable for BSD compatibility, but it may go away in future releases. SEE ALSO
nroff(1), vi(1). fmt(1)