Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers EXim4 on Debian - setting up multiple mailboxes Post 302366916 by shikarishambu on Friday 30th of October 2009 06:44:01 PM
Old 10-30-2009
EXim4 on Debian - setting up multiple mailboxes

I have exim4 smtp server running on Debian. I tend to use only one user account to login. The machine is running multiple websites and I have assigned unique email addresses for each of the websites.

Emails sent to these addresses do not seem to get delivered. Emails sent to the alias that I login (alias of root) get delivered.

I only see one /var/mail/myrootalias file. How do I create multiple mailboxes. I am guessing once I have that setup I will have one file for each mailbox under /var/mail.

TIA

6 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Problems with debian linux + exim4 + MS Outlook 2003

This seems to be a rather constant question that pops up on a lot of forums but as of yet I have not found a complete solutions on any of the forums so I'm asking everyone who might know about this in an attempt to find a complete solution for this: I have bought 3 domain names and they all... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: liviutudor
0 Replies

2. Debian

Debian exim4 security patch

I have just had to fix a debian5 system which suddenly started rejecting correctly addressed emails as '550 relay not permitted.' It turned out that rogue exim4 config files had been injected into the system at /etc/exim4/exim4.conf and /etc/exim4/exim.conf and these were messing up mail routing. ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: KevinGB
0 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Where do deleted mailboxes go in OS X

Just wondering -- I just deleted one of the mailboxes on my mac, and was wondering where it went. I'd like to do an srm, and thought that it would go to my deleted messages mailbox, but it isn't there (and there were some messages in them.) Can anyone tell me? The mailbox doesn't contain any... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Straitsfan
0 Replies

4. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

exim4

I want to send mail with a bash script. I look on the internet what I have to do. I installed exim4 and mailutils. than I do sudo echo "Yay - SMTP works" | mail -s "Test email" mail-address" but the mail wasn't sent. I find this sudo dpkg-reconfigure exim4-config but I don't know what I... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: thailand
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

exim4 sending via multiple gmail smtp accounts

I need to send mail using different gmail smtp logins, depending on the from header. I can put the appropriate expression in dc_smarthost to generate the host, but I don't know how to specify the login id. The login id comes from passwd.client and is associated with the server name. According to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Millwood
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Reading multiple values from multiple lines and columns and setting them to unique variables.

Hello, I would like to ask for help with csh script. An example of an input in .txt file is below, the number of lines varies from file to file and I have 2 or 3 columns with values. I would like to read all the values (probably one by one) and set them to independent unique variables that... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: FMMOLA
7 Replies
UPDATE-EXIM4DEFAULTS(8) 				      System Manager's Manual					   UPDATE-EXIM4DEFAULTS(8)

NAME
update-exim4defaults - Manage exim4 daemon default file. SYNOPSIS
update-exim4defaults [ --qflags flags ] [ --queuerunner combined|queueonly|separate|ppp|no|nodaemon ] [ --queuetime time ] [ --commonop- tions options ] [ --queuerunneroptions options ] [ --smtplisteneroptions options ] [ --remove-common options ] [ --remove-queue options ] [ --remove-smtp options ] [ --force|-f ] [ --help|-h ] [ --init ] DESCRIPTION
update-exim4defaults allows one to set run parameters for the Exim daemon in /etc/default/exim4. Its main purpose is for interaction with packages enhancing Exim like virus-scanners that need to change the way the exim daemon is started. OPTIONS
--help|-h Print short usage instructions and exit. --qflags flags Set qflags, special flags given to exim directly after the "-q". See exim(8) for more information. --queuerunner combined|queueonly|separate|ppp|no|nodaemon Should the init script start one daemon that listens on the smtp port for incoming connections and runs the queue at regular inter- vals (combined) , or should it start two separate daemons, one listening on the smtp port, the other running the queue (separate) , or should the queue only be run by /etc/ppp/ip-up.d/exim4 (ppp) , or shouldn't we run the queue at all, for example if you'd rather do this with cron ? Or should we only start a queuerunner (queueonly) or no daemon at all (nodaemon) ? --queuetime time In which intervals should we run the queue? This passed as option -q<qflags>time to Exim, e.g. -q30m or -qq1h. --commonoptions options Options passed both to queue-running and listening instances of Exim. --queuerunneroptions options Options only passed to the instance of Exim running the queue. --smtplisteneroptions options Options only passed to the instance of Exim listening on the SMTP port. --force|-f Without this option update-exim4defaults exits with an error if at least one of the options --queuetime, --commonoptions, --queuerunneroptions or --smtplisteneroptions is used and the corresponding value in /etc/default/exim4 is already set to a nonempty value. --remove-common option Try to remove the given option from COMMONOPTIONS. --remove-queue option Try to remove the given option from QUEUERUNNEROPTIONS. --remove-smtp option Try to remove the given option from SMTPLISTENEROPTIONS. The --remove-commands cannot be used at the same time as any of --commonoptions, --queuerunneroptions or --smtplisteneroptions. The --remove-commands will additionally remove whitespace at the beginning and the end of the option and exchange multiple spaces wi a single one. --init create a default /etc/default/exim4 file and exit immediately. Unless --force was also specified update-exim4defaults exits (suc- cessfully) without doing anything if /etc/default/exim4 already exists. All other options are ignored. EXIT STATUS
0 change was successful or nothing needed to be done. 1 generic error: wrong options, unreadable configuration file, etc. 2 QUEUEINTERVAL was already set. 4 COMMONOPTIONS was already set. 8 QUEUERUNNEROPTIONS was already set. 16 SMTPLISTENEROPTIONS was already set. 32 QFLAGS was already set. 64 --remove-something failed, i.e. the value of the option was not changed. Exit codes 2 to 32 will be summed up, if more than one unsuccessful option was given. FILES
/etc/default/exim4 The configuration file. /etc/init.d/exim4 The Exim init-script. /etc/ppp/ip-up.d/exim4 The queuerunner in this file also uses COMMONOPTIONS and QUEUERUNNEROPTIONS and does not run if QUEUERUNNER=no. BUGS
This manual page needs a major re-work. If somebody knows better groff than us and has more experience in writing manual pages, any patches would be greatly appreciated. SEE ALSO
exim(8), /usr/share/doc/exim4-base/ AUTHOR
Andreas Metzler <ametzler at downhill.at.eu.org> EXIM4 March 26, 2003 UPDATE-EXIM4DEFAULTS(8)