Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers [Help] Setup slave dns server Post 302366753 by fpmurphy on Friday 30th of October 2009 09:19:24 AM
Old 10-30-2009
Setting up a slave (secondary) DNS server on Centos is relatively easy. allow-transfer is not needed on the slave but must be added to named.conf on the master.
Code:
option {
     allow-transfer { ip_address_of_slave_dns_server; } ;
}

You need to add a slave zone to named.conf on the slave. Here is an example of a slave zone:
Code:
zone "example.com" {
   type slave;
   // one or more master nameservers.  Reply with correct IPs.
   masters { 172.100.10.1; 172.100.10.2; };
   // file can be named anything you like but this is a common naming convention
   file "slaves/example.com.zone";
};

Here is the BIND9 Manual. They are several example configurations which should help you.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

setup a DNS server for my redhat server

Using Redhat Linux Enterprise AS 4 can someone teach me how to setup a dns server for my webserver? i've registered a domainname at mydomain.com but when i type in the domain i register i cannot enter to my webserver. someone told me that it is related with the DNS setting on my server. i've... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kaixiang88
2 Replies

2. AIX

Setup DNS server on AIX6.1

I'm planning of setting up a DNS server on AIX 6.1. Could someone shed me some lights on the step-by-steps of how to set this up? Thanks. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: famasutika
2 Replies

3. Solaris

DNS Server setup

I am trying to setup DNS server in Solaris 10. I have two blade 1500 system and want to setup two name server I would like to start setting up DNS. appreciate your help. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mnathan
1 Replies

4. IP Networking

DNS does all slave Name Server must be in the zone Resource Record file?

Hy guys, I've a problem configuring my Name Server (using bind 9) which is I'ts always necessary to put all slave Name Server for a zone in the zone resource record file or db (as you prefer)? I've this scenario: A - my domain which is son of some TLD and I delegated into two new domains B... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pharaoh
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

NIS setup: Mastr on AIX and slave on Solaris?

Hello - This could be a stupid question. But can we configure NIS with different flavors of UNIX. Like Master on AIX and slave on Solaris? ---------- Post updated 09-06-11 at 04:17 AM ---------- Previous update was 09-05-11 at 06:34 AM ---------- Hi - Can anyone please answer this? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: manju--
1 Replies

6. IP Networking

How to DNS Setup ??

Dear All, I need to setup DNS just for the local network. So, I created a master zone with all the settings. I created A records and NS records. Applied new configurations and Stopped Bind9 and then restarted it. But when I enter the domain name in the browser of another client machine it... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: krishna.lu
9 Replies

7. Linux

Setting up slave DNS?

can someone point me in the right direction im trying to setup a Slave dns server this is my named.conf file zone "website1.org" { type slave; file"mydb-for-website1-org"; notify NO; };and this is my var/named/mydb-for-website1-org $TTL 3D @ IN SOA ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: gangsta
1 Replies

8. Red Hat

DNS Server Setup Centos 6.5 Issues

I am having a bit of trouble getting my CENTOS 6.5 DNS server to work correctly in our testlab environment. Lab network is 10.8.0.0/24 in which we all access from 10.7.0.0.0/24 && 10.0.0.0/24. Here are my configs: options { listen-on port 53 { 127.0.0.1; 10.8.0.19;}; #listen-on-v6 port 53 {... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: metallica1973
2 Replies

9. IP Networking

DNS question about initial Master/Slave setup

Hey everyone. I'm creating a DNS master/slave server set up. I have the configurations all done I believe, the master has the required zone file, and the named.conf file has the allow transfer and allow query stuff set. The slave has it's own configs set. My question is that when initially... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Lost in Cyberia
1 Replies
bindsetup(8)						      System Manager's Manual						      bindsetup(8)

Name
       bindsetup - set up the Berkeley Internet Name Domain (BIND)/Hesiod service

Syntax
       /usr/etc/bindsetup [ -c [ -d directory ] -b binddomain  name1,IP1 name2,IP2 ...	]

Description
       The command sets up the Berkeley Internet Name Domain (BIND)/Hesiod service on your system and places and resolution under BIND/Hesiod con-
       trol.  You can use this command to set up your system as a primary, secondary, slave, or caching server, or as a client.

In order to run BIND/Hesiod, your system's host name must include the BIND domain name.	The BIND host name consists of the local host name
       plus  the  BIND	domain	name,  separated by periods.  For example, the BIND host name for a system whose local host name is and whose BIND
       domain name is is

The command edits the and files and changes the local host name to the BIND host name, if it is not there already.

If the command changes your system's host name, you should reboot the system to be sure that the change is propagated throughout  the  sys-
       tem.

Before  you  run , your system must be established on a local area network.  In addition, you must know the BIND domain name for your local
       area network, and whether your system will be a primary, secondary, slave, or caching server, or a client.

The command asks if you want to run a Kerberos authentication server. You must already have set up Kerberos to do do.   For  more  informa-
       tion, see the Guide to Kerberos.

You should run the command as superuser and with the system in multiuser mode.

If you use the option with the respective arguments, the command sets up your system as a BIND/Hesiod client non-interactively.

If you run the command with no arguments, a menu is displayed giving you a choice of responses.	You are then prompted for further informa-
       tion.  Before exits, it lists the files that have been updated.

Once BIND/Hesiod is installed on a machine, it cannot be used until the file is modified to contain BIND entries on  the  desired  database
       lines.  The command reminds a user to run or edit the file manually.

Options
       -c	    Sets up your system as a BIND/Hesiod client according to the following arguments you supply on the command line:

-d   directory
		    This  option and argument are required if you are setting up a diskless client from the diskless server.  The directory is the
		    full path name of the root directory for your system (a diskless client) on the diskless server.  The following is an  example
		    of a root directory for a diskless client named
		    /dlclient0/orange.root

-b   binddomain
		    This is the name of the BIND domain on which your system will be a BIND client.  For example, is a sample BIND domain name.

name,IP	    This is the host name and the IP address of the BIND server on the domain, for example You can specify one or more BIND server
		    by listing more name,IP arguments, each separated by a space.

Files
       List of locally maintained host names and IP addresses

Startup commands pertinent to a specific system

Database name with the selected naming services

Hesiod configuration file

List of Kerberos servers

Default BIND Files:

BIND server data file directory

BIND server boot file

BIND server cache file

BIND server local host reverse address host file

BIND primary server hosts file

BIND primary server reverse address hosts file

BIND data file

See Also
       nslookup(1), hesiod(3), hesiod.conf(5), svc.conf(5), svcsetup(8), named(8), krb.conf(5), resolv.conf(5)
       Guide to the BIND/Hesiod Service
       Guide to Kerberos

bindsetup(8)