Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers How to run two commands from a exec call in a c program Post 302366733 by pludi on Friday 30th of October 2009 08:11:32 AM
Old 10-30-2009
I'd think about why it's necessary to run that program as setuid root, and if that couldn't be accomplished by other means (eg. sudo) or by using a different approach using as few privileges as possible.

IF that isn't possible, you could simulate the system() call by using fork() and wait() (warning: the following is pseudo-code)
Code:
function my_system(command)
    pid = fork()
    if pid == 0 // child
        exec(command)
    else
        wait for pid to exit

my_system(command1);
my_system(command2);

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Exec. commands in python

How would i do if i'd want to execute a command in a python script or programme ? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: J.P
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

need to restrict program exec and running

I'm on Freebsd 4.5 stable, havin question of that kind: I need to restrict programs running, like BitchX for example, which can be dowlnoaded by logged on user, and i cant set permissions to all users to prevent that program from executing. And ipfw doesnt help me because of i need to allow that... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: hachik
1 Replies

3. Programming

exec() system call

hi there, i was reading about the exec() function. and if i m not wrong, exec() kills your present process and starts a new process in its place. the process id remains the same. then it says if exec is successful the text data and stack are overlayed by new file! - i dont get this part "only... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: a25khan
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

exec to call specific function in C prog

I would like to call a particular function in a C program using execl(). Is this possible using execl or anyother function ? Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vpraveen84
2 Replies

5. Programming

How forbid use fork() in exec() program.

Hello World! I am writing code in C++ which have to launch another application X using exec(). I would like to set some limits on it using setrlimit etc... My problem is that i don't know how to forbid using fork() and strlimit by application X. How can i do it? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kzi
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to run multiple piped commands in a find -exec statement?

I can't get this to work. Running a single command works fine: find . -name "*.dat" -exec wc -l '{}' \; gives me the file name and number of lines in each .dat file in the directory. But what if I want to pipe commands, e.g. to grep something and get the number of lines with that pattern... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: DJR
3 Replies

7. Programming

[C] exec system call

Hi again ;) Now I want to make a program that will execute the programs with exec, asking the user if he wants the program to run in background or foreground. scanf("%c",&caracter); if (caracter=='y'){ printf("Has decidido ejecutarlo en background\n"); if((pid=fork())==0) {// fork para... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: lamachejo
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

[Solved] Run multiple commands in invoked program

Hi, I have coded a program in Haskell using the compiler Hugs and the program requires multiple commands (with parameters) to be entered into it, it then outputs the result of its execution. I need to test a lot of different options (i.e. the parameters) so it would be obvious to automate the... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: tz742
0 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Run 2 exec commands

I have to create two instances of jBoss 5.1.0 GA. In order to do that I have to execute the following in start-jboss.sh: find . -exec /opt/novell/idm/jboss/bin/run.sh -Djboss.service.binding.set=ports-01 -c IDMProv -b 0.0.0.0 \; -exec /opt/novell/idm/jboss/bin/run.sh... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Joydeep Ghosh
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script run in a case statement call to run a php file, also Perl

Linux System having all Perl, Python, PHP (and Ruby) installed From a Shell script, can call a Perl, Python, PHP (or Ruby ?) file eg eg a Shell script run in a case statement call to run a php file, also Perl or/and Python file??? Like #!/usr/bin/bash .... .... case $INPUT_STRING... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: hoyanet
1 Replies
setpgid(2)							System Calls Manual							setpgid(2)

NAME
setpgid(), setpgrp2() - set process group ID for job control SYNOPSIS
DESCRIPTION
The and system calls cause the process specified by pid to join an existing process group or create a new process group within the session of the calling process. The process group ID of the process whose process ID is pid is set to pgid. If pid is zero, the process ID of the calling process is used. If pgid is zero, the process ID of the indicated process is used. The process group ID of a session leader does not change. is provided for backward compatibility only. Security Restrictions Some or all of the actions associated with this system call are subject to compartmental restrictions. See compartments(5) for more information about compartmentalization on systems that support that feature. Compartmental restrictions can be overridden if the process possesses the privilege (COMMALLOWED). Processes owned by the superuser may not have this privilege. Pro- cesses owned by any user may have this privilege, depending on system configuration. See privileges(5) for more information about privileged access on systems that support fine-grained privileges. RETURN VALUE
and return the following values: Successful completion. Failure. is set to indicate the error. ERRORS
If or fails, is set to one of the following values. The value of pid matches the process ID of a child process of the calling process and the child process has successfully executed one of the exec(2) functions. The value of pgid is less than zero or is outside the range of valid process group ID values. The process indicated by pid is a session leader. The value of pid is valid but matches the process ID of a child process of the calling process, and the child process is not in the same session as the calling process. The value of pgid does not match the process ID of the process indicated by pid and there is no process with a process group ID that matches the value of pgid in the same session as the calling process. The value of pid does not match the process ID of the calling process or of a child process of the calling process. AUTHOR
and were developed by HP and the University of California, Berkeley. SEE ALSO
bsdproc(3C), exec(2), exit(2), fork(2), getpid(2), kill(2), setsid(2), signal(2), privileges(5), termio(7). STANDARDS CONFORMANCE
setpgid(2)