Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Help with a shell script to modify one line and copy the next 9 to same file Post 302366724 by Teroc on Friday 30th of October 2009 07:38:03 AM
Old 10-30-2009
I have another problem related to those files.

Sometimes, in file1, it is possible that one value in column 1 is associated to 2 or more values like this:
Code:
a1 b1 c1
a2 b2
a3 b3 c3 d4

Now, when I need to replace and copy as described in my other post, I need to do this for each value associated with a1.
The problem is, I tried with multidimensional arrays and other stuffs, but it doesn't write the full 9 lines for the 2nd value (c1 or c3).

Is there a way to jump back 10 lines up and retest the same line so I can process it again for the 2nd and 3rd value? I've searched since last post and can't find somethinbg working...

Thanks again and again !

Here is the code I use ...
Code:
NR==FNR {for(i=2;i<=NF;i+=1) a[$1]=$i" "a[$1];next}
NR!=FNR {print $0}

{if ($3 in a && $2=="MEASUREMENT")
	{temp=$3;
	split(a[$3],separate)
	for (x in separate)
	{$3=separate[x];
	buffer[j]=$0;
	$3=temp;
	d=9;
	while (d>0) #not printing for the second value of separate because of this while I guess, once it is done once, it wont do it again for the other values
	{getline; buffer[j]=buffer[j]"\n"$0; d--}  #I use a buffer so that I can write the thing where I want
	}j++
	}
}

And here is the ouput I have

Code:
/begin MEASUREMENT b1  #As intended
   "comment" 
   SWORD 
   ratio_0p1 
   ECU_ADDRESS 0x500040B4
  /end MEASUREMENT 
/end MEASUREMENT c1 #writes c1 here instead of the whole thing

Last edited by Teroc; 10-30-2009 at 08:56 AM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to modify a file using shell script

Hi, i am using SuonOS and ksh. i need to add data into a file(s.txt) using a shell script. i have to pass 3 parameters and these 3 paramaters should add into the file at end of the file. File s.txt is look like, --------------------------------- column1|column2|column3 ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: syamkp
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to copy and paste line in shell script

Hi I want to grep for a line and copy and paste that line. for Example ---- file abc.txt ---- host=atlx1 sid=atld1 mail=abc@abc.com host=atlx2 sid=atld2 mail=xyz@abc.com host=atlx3 sid=atld3 mail=def@abc.com host=atlx4 sid=atld4 mail=mno@abc.com --- end of file abc.txt ---- Now I... (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: upsrk
16 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help to modify perl script: Text file with line and more than 1 space

Dear Friends, I am beginner in Perl and trying to find the problem in a script. Kindly help me to modify the script. My script is not giving the output for the last field and followed text (LA: Language English). Input file & script as follows: Input file: Thu Mar 19 2:34:14 EDT 2009 STC... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: srsahu75
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell Script - Copy File at intervals

Hi, I want to copy some files from a Folder say, /usr/X at random intervals to another location. Basically, new files will be dumped at random intervals to location /usr/X and I have to copy those new files to some other location (after copying, I cannot delete those files from source... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: angshuman_ag
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script to copy file

Dear all, I have a database with thousands of files with the structure of name is: Filename_hour_year.abc Filename_hour_year_1.abc .............. So what I need is how to write a script that all file with contain the character "_1" will copy to "_2" For example: file name:... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: hainguyen1402
7 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Read data from .csv file through shell script & modify

I need to read data from a file called "test.csv" through shell script where the file contains values like name,price,descriptor etc. There are rows where descriptor (& in some rows name) are written as string & other characters like "car_+" OR "bike*" etc where it should contains strings like... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: raj100
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Modify text file using shell script

Hi, I have a text file which is following format - COL VAL ABC 1 ABC 2 ABC 3 ABC 4 ABC 5 My requirement is to search for a particular value (provided by user) in the file and comment the previous entries including that as well. E.g. If I search for number 3, then the output... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: bhupinder08
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script to modify file in several directories

Hi, I want a script shell to automate modifying httpd.conf file for several instances of apache, save httpd.file before changing it, after modifying it and then restart apache. - Replace ServerRoot "xxxx" by ServerRoot "yyyy" of all directories : "... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: bras39
4 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Copy and modify a file if the original has changed

Hi there, I have built up my own little "cloud" for my family as the amount of computers grows all day. By now we use 3 smartphones, 2 notebooks und 4 PCs, so this "home cloud" was made to store all personal data (photos, documents,...) and do a backup once in a while. It is running on a Ubuntu... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: SebSnake
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Make a copy of a file when someone tries to modify the file

I wish to take a backup of the file when someone tries to modify a file say /tmp/test.txt using vi, vim, cat, copy, mv commands. I'm aware of inotify which will notify me of any changes to the file however, I wish to make a backup before and not after the changes are made to the file. I... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mohtashims
1 Replies
Locale::Codes::LangFam(3pm)				 Perl Programmers Reference Guide			       Locale::Codes::LangFam(3pm)

NAME
Locale::Codes::LangFam - standard codes for language extension identification SYNOPSIS
use Locale::Codes::LangFam; $lext = code2langfam('apa'); # $lext gets 'Apache languages' $code = langfam2code('Apache languages'); # $code gets 'apa' @codes = all_langfam_codes(); @names = all_langfam_names(); DESCRIPTION
The "Locale::Codes::LangFam" module provides access to standard codes used for identifying language families, such as those as defined in ISO 639-5. Most of the routines take an optional additional argument which specifies the code set to use. If not specified, the default ISO 639-5 language family codes will be used. SUPPORTED CODE SETS
There are several different code sets you can use for identifying language families. A code set may be specified using either a name, or a constant that is automatically exported by this module. For example, the two are equivalent: $lext = code2langfam('apa','alpha'); $lext = code2langfam('apa',LOCALE_LANGFAM_ALPHA); The codesets currently supported are: alpha This is the set of three-letter (lowercase) codes from ISO 639-5 such as 'apa' for Apache languages. This is the default code set. ROUTINES
code2langfam ( CODE [,CODESET] ) langfam2code ( NAME [,CODESET] ) langfam_code2code ( CODE ,CODESET ,CODESET2 ) all_langfam_codes ( [CODESET] ) all_langfam_names ( [CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::rename_langfam ( CODE ,NEW_NAME [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::add_langfam ( CODE ,NAME [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::delete_langfam ( CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::add_langfam_alias ( NAME ,NEW_NAME ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::delete_langfam_alias ( NAME ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::rename_langfam_code ( CODE ,NEW_CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::add_langfam_code_alias ( CODE ,NEW_CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::delete_langfam_code_alias ( CODE [,CODESET] ) These routines are all documented in the Locale::Codes::API man page. SEE ALSO
Locale::Codes The Locale-Codes distribution. Locale::Codes::API The list of functions supported by this module. http://www.loc.gov/standards/iso639-5/id.php ISO 639-5 . AUTHOR
See Locale::Codes for full author history. Currently maintained by Sullivan Beck (sbeck@cpan.org). COPYRIGHT
Copyright (c) 2011-2013 Sullivan Beck This module is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. perl v5.18.2 2013-11-04 Locale::Codes::LangFam(3pm)