Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Split a huge data into few different files?! Post 302366721 by Scrutinizer on Friday 30th of October 2009 07:24:00 AM
Old 10-30-2009
With the input you provided it creates two output files, seq_1 and seq_4;
Code:
$> cat seq_1
>seq_1
MSNQSPPQSQRPGHSHSHSHSHAGLASSTSSHSNPSANASYNLNGPRTGGDQRYRASVDA
>seq_2
AGAAGRGWGRDVTAAASPNPRNGGGRPASDLLSVGNAGGQASFASPETIDRWFEDLQHYE
>seq_3
ATLEEMAAASLDANFKEELSAIEQWFRVLSEAERTAALYSLLQSSTQVQMRFFVTVLQQM
ARADPITALLSPANPGQASMEAQMDAKLAAMGLKSPASPAVRQYARQSLSGDTYLSPHSA

$> cat seq_4
>seq_4
TTLPPAPVSPTTTTQAEDAAAAATLASQRAKLKASSRISAPANILLGASGADGVKSPLWS
EKERVVERRSPSPSGRNVERPKSTGSTGEPAQPNNSHAGMNLSQSTGPPSASFLRSPAPD
>seq_5
FDSQLSPIVGGNWASMVNTPLMPMFGSKGGGEGGSFGGLASPGLDGATAKLGSWATGTTT
GQAGIVLDDVRKFRRSARISGSGATGFGGGALGGMYDDQPAQASTNGQQQRRVSPSQLNS
>seq_6
AQQNAINLGLAGLQQQQQQHQQQLRSGAASPGLSSQQAAVAAQQNWRNGLGSPAVDSSDQ
YSQHGMGAFGMGSPANLSANAQLANLFALQQQMMQQQQMQQLNMAAAAGIALTPVQMMGL
QQQQQQAMLSPGGRGFGMGMNGMGMNGMMGMGMGGMGSPRRSPRQSDRSPGGKTNLPSTV

Do your real headers contain spaces?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl script error to split huge data one by one.

Below is my perl script: #!/usr/bin/perl open(FILE,"$ARGV") or die "$!"; @DATA = <FILE>; close FILE; $join = join("",@DATA); @array = split( ">",$join); for($i=0;$i<=scalar(@array);$i++){ system ("/home/bin/./program_name_count_length MULTI_sequence_DATA_FILE -d... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: patrick87
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem running Perl Script with huge data files

Hello Everyone, I have a perl script that reads two types of data files (txt and XML). These data files are huge and large in number. I am using something like this : foreach my $t (@text) { open TEXT, $t or die "Cannot open $t for reading: $!\n"; while(my $line=<TEXT>){ ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ad23
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help- counting delimiter in a huge file and split data into 2 files

I’m new to Linux script and not sure how to filter out bad records from huge flat files (over 1.3GB each). The delimiter is a semi colon “;” Here is the sample of 5 lines in the file: Name1;phone1;address1;city1;state1;zipcode1 Name2;phone2;address2;city2;state2;zipcode2;comment... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: lv99
7 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to split a huge file by every 100 lines

into small files. i need to add a head.txt and tail.txt into small files at the begin and end, and give a name as q1.xml q2.xml q3.xml .... thank you very much. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dtdt
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Split a file into several files using a data

Hi All, I have file(File1) with data like below: 102100|LName|Gender|Company|Branch|Bday|Salary|Age 102100|bbbb|male|cccc|dddd|19900814|15000|20| 102101|asdg|male|gggg|ksgu|19911216||| 102102|bdbm|male|kkkk|acke|19931018||23| 102102|kfjg|male|kkkc|gkgg|19921213|14000|24|... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sarav.shan
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Split a huge 7 GB File Based on Pattern into 4 files

Hi, I have a Huge 7 GB file which has around 1 million records, i want to split this file into 4 files to contain around 250k messages each. Please help me as Split command cannot work here as it might miss tags.. Format of the file is as below <!--###### ###### START-->... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: KishM
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Split a folder with huge number of files in n folders

We have a folder XYZ with large number of files (>350,000). how can i split the folder and create say 10 of them XYZ1 to XYZ10 with 35,000 files each. (doesnt matter which files go where). (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: AlokKumbhare
12 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Split JSON to different data files

Hi Gurus, I have below JSON file, now I want to rewrite this file into a new file. I will appreciate if anyone can help me to provide the solution...I can't use jq. { "_id": "3ad893cb4cf1560add7b4caffd4b6126", "_rev": "1-1f0ce165e1d210319cf6e9f9c6ff654f", "name":... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: manas_ranjan
4 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

File comaprsons for the Huge data files ( around 60G) - Need optimized and teh best way to do this

I have 2 large file (.dat) around 70 g, 12 columns but the data not sorted in both the files.. need your inputs in giving the best optimized method/command to achieve this and redirect the not macthing lines to the thrid file ( diff.dat) File 1 - 15 columns File 2 - 15 columns Data is... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: kartikirans
9 Replies

10. Solaris

Split huge File System

Gents I have huge NAS File System as /sys with size 10 TB and I want to Split each 1TB in spirit File System to be mounted in the server. How to can I do that without changing anything in the source. Please your support. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: AbuAliiiiiiiiii
1 Replies
CAT(1)							      General Commands Manual							    CAT(1)

NAME
cat, read, nobs - catenate files SYNOPSIS
cat [ file ... ] read [ -m ] [ -n nline ] [ file ... ] nobs [ file ... ] DESCRIPTION
Cat reads each file in sequence and writes it on the standard output. Thus cat file prints a file and cat file1 file2 >file3 concatenates the first two files and places the result on the third. If no file is given, cat reads from the standard input. Output is buffered in blocks matching the input. Read copies to standard output exactly one line from the named file, default standard input. It is useful in interactive rc(1) scripts. The -m flag causes it to continue reading and writing multiple lines until end of file; -n causes it to read no more than nline lines. Read always executes a single write for each line of input, which can be helpful when preparing input to programs that expect line-at-a- time data. It never reads any more data from the input than it prints to the output. Nobs copies the named files to standard output except that it removes all backspace characters and the characters that precede them. It is useful to use as $PAGER with the Unix version of man(1) when run inside a win (see acme(1)) window. SOURCE
/src/cmd/cat.c /src/cmd/read.c /bin/nobs SEE ALSO
cp(1) DIAGNOSTICS
Read exits with status eof on end of file or, in the -n case, if it doesn't read nlines lines. BUGS
Beware of and which destroy input files before reading them. CAT(1)