Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Help with a shell script to modify one line and copy the next 9 to same file Post 302366656 by Teroc on Friday 30th of October 2009 04:53:25 AM
Old 10-30-2009
I doesn't work GhostDog, well it probably does, but not in my case.
I did something like that:

Code:
NR==FNR {a[$2]=$1;next} #I read a first file to get the search pattern
{if ($3 in a)
    {$3=a[$3]
    print
    d=9
    next}
    d--&&d>=0
}

But it does only print the first line.

Here is an example of my files.
The first file where I read the values looks like this:
Code:
a1 b1
a2 b2
a3 b3

Then the second file looks like: (there is also other stuff in the file not related)
Code:
/begin MEASUREMENT b1
   "comment" 
   UWORD 
   ident 
   ECU_ADDRESS 0x4000582C
  /end MEASUREMENT 

I want to check if $3==b1, then replace it with a1 and copy the others lines at the end of the file, and do it for each bi of the first file.

thanks for your help.

---------- Post updated at 08:53 AM ---------- Previous update was at 08:42 AM ----------

Found a solution doing this:

Code:
NR==FNR {a[$2]=$1;next}
{if ($3 in a)
    {$3=a[$3]
    print
    d=9
    while (d>0)
    {getline; print; d--}
    }
}

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to modify a file using shell script

Hi, i am using SuonOS and ksh. i need to add data into a file(s.txt) using a shell script. i have to pass 3 parameters and these 3 paramaters should add into the file at end of the file. File s.txt is look like, --------------------------------- column1|column2|column3 ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: syamkp
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to copy and paste line in shell script

Hi I want to grep for a line and copy and paste that line. for Example ---- file abc.txt ---- host=atlx1 sid=atld1 mail=abc@abc.com host=atlx2 sid=atld2 mail=xyz@abc.com host=atlx3 sid=atld3 mail=def@abc.com host=atlx4 sid=atld4 mail=mno@abc.com --- end of file abc.txt ---- Now I... (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: upsrk
16 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help to modify perl script: Text file with line and more than 1 space

Dear Friends, I am beginner in Perl and trying to find the problem in a script. Kindly help me to modify the script. My script is not giving the output for the last field and followed text (LA: Language English). Input file & script as follows: Input file: Thu Mar 19 2:34:14 EDT 2009 STC... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: srsahu75
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell Script - Copy File at intervals

Hi, I want to copy some files from a Folder say, /usr/X at random intervals to another location. Basically, new files will be dumped at random intervals to location /usr/X and I have to copy those new files to some other location (after copying, I cannot delete those files from source... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: angshuman_ag
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script to copy file

Dear all, I have a database with thousands of files with the structure of name is: Filename_hour_year.abc Filename_hour_year_1.abc .............. So what I need is how to write a script that all file with contain the character "_1" will copy to "_2" For example: file name:... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: hainguyen1402
7 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Read data from .csv file through shell script & modify

I need to read data from a file called "test.csv" through shell script where the file contains values like name,price,descriptor etc. There are rows where descriptor (& in some rows name) are written as string & other characters like "car_+" OR "bike*" etc where it should contains strings like... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: raj100
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Modify text file using shell script

Hi, I have a text file which is following format - COL VAL ABC 1 ABC 2 ABC 3 ABC 4 ABC 5 My requirement is to search for a particular value (provided by user) in the file and comment the previous entries including that as well. E.g. If I search for number 3, then the output... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: bhupinder08
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script to modify file in several directories

Hi, I want a script shell to automate modifying httpd.conf file for several instances of apache, save httpd.file before changing it, after modifying it and then restart apache. - Replace ServerRoot "xxxx" by ServerRoot "yyyy" of all directories : "... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: bras39
4 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Copy and modify a file if the original has changed

Hi there, I have built up my own little "cloud" for my family as the amount of computers grows all day. By now we use 3 smartphones, 2 notebooks und 4 PCs, so this "home cloud" was made to store all personal data (photos, documents,...) and do a backup once in a while. It is running on a Ubuntu... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: SebSnake
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Make a copy of a file when someone tries to modify the file

I wish to take a backup of the file when someone tries to modify a file say /tmp/test.txt using vi, vim, cat, copy, mv commands. I'm aware of inotify which will notify me of any changes to the file however, I wish to make a backup before and not after the changes are made to the file. I... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mohtashims
1 Replies
RAKE(1) 						 Ruby Programmers Reference Guide						   RAKE(1)

NAME
rake -- Ruby Make SYNOPSIS
rake [--f Rakefile] [--version] [-CGNPgnqstv] [-D [PATTERN]] [-E CODE] [-I LIBDIR] [-R RAKELIBDIR] [-T [PATTERN]] [-e CODE] [-p CODE] [-r MODULE] [--rules] [variable=value] target ... DESCRIPTION
Rake is a simple ruby(1) build program with capabilities similar to the regular make(1) command. Rake has the following features: o Rakefiles (Rake's version of Makefiles) are completely defined in standard Ruby syntax. No XML files to edit. No quirky Makefile syntax to worry about (is that a tab or a space?). o Users can specify tasks with prerequisites. o Rake supports rule patterns to synthesize implicit tasks. o Flexible FileLists that act like arrays but know about manipulating file names and paths. o A library of prepackaged tasks to make building rakefiles easier. OPTIONS
--version Display the program version. -C --classic-namespace Put Task and FileTask in the top level namespace -D [PATTERN] --describe [PATTERN] Describe the tasks (matching optional PATTERN), then exit. -E CODE --execute-continue CODE Execute some Ruby code, then continue with normal task processing. -G --no-system --nosystem Use standard project Rakefile search paths, ignore system wide rakefiles. -I LIBDIR --libdir LIBDIR Include LIBDIR in the search path for required modules. -N --no-search --nosearch Do not search parent directories for the Rakefile. -P --prereqs Display the tasks and dependencies, then exit. -R RAKELIBDIR --rakelib RAKELIBDIR --rakelibdir RAKELIBDIR Auto-import any .rake files in RAKELIBDIR. (default is rakelib ) -T [PATTERN] --tasks [PATTERN] Display the tasks (matching optional PATTERN) with descriptions, then exit. -e CODE --execute CODE Execute some Ruby code and exit. -f FILE --rakefile FILE Use FILE as the rakefile. -h --help Prints a summary of options. -g --system Using system wide (global) rakefiles (usually ~/.rake/*.rake ). -n --dry-run Do a dry run without executing actions. -p CODE --execute-print CODE Execute some Ruby code, print the result, then exit. -q --quiet Do not log messages to standard output. -r MODULE --require MODULE Require MODULE before executing rakefile. -s --silent Like --quiet, but also suppresses the 'in directory' announcement. -t --trace Turn on invoke/execute tracing, enable full backtrace. -v --verbose Log message to standard output (default). --rules Trace the rules resolution. SEE ALSO
ruby(1) make(1) http://rake.rubyforge.org/ REPORTING BUGS
Bugs, features requests and other issues can be logged at <http://onestepback.org/redmine/projects/show/rake>. You will need an account to before you can post issues. Register at <http://onestepback.org/redmine/account/register>. Or you can send an email to the author. AUTHOR
Rake is written by Jim Weirich <jim@weirichhouse.org> UNIX
November 7, 2012 UNIX