Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Help with a shell script to modify one line and copy the next 9 to same file Post 302366599 by panyam on Friday 30th of October 2009 01:24:20 AM
Old 10-30-2009
Provide us with the Input file and the output your expecting, so it would be easy to work on.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to modify a file using shell script

Hi, i am using SuonOS and ksh. i need to add data into a file(s.txt) using a shell script. i have to pass 3 parameters and these 3 paramaters should add into the file at end of the file. File s.txt is look like, --------------------------------- column1|column2|column3 ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: syamkp
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to copy and paste line in shell script

Hi I want to grep for a line and copy and paste that line. for Example ---- file abc.txt ---- host=atlx1 sid=atld1 mail=abc@abc.com host=atlx2 sid=atld2 mail=xyz@abc.com host=atlx3 sid=atld3 mail=def@abc.com host=atlx4 sid=atld4 mail=mno@abc.com --- end of file abc.txt ---- Now I... (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: upsrk
16 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help to modify perl script: Text file with line and more than 1 space

Dear Friends, I am beginner in Perl and trying to find the problem in a script. Kindly help me to modify the script. My script is not giving the output for the last field and followed text (LA: Language English). Input file & script as follows: Input file: Thu Mar 19 2:34:14 EDT 2009 STC... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: srsahu75
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell Script - Copy File at intervals

Hi, I want to copy some files from a Folder say, /usr/X at random intervals to another location. Basically, new files will be dumped at random intervals to location /usr/X and I have to copy those new files to some other location (after copying, I cannot delete those files from source... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: angshuman_ag
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script to copy file

Dear all, I have a database with thousands of files with the structure of name is: Filename_hour_year.abc Filename_hour_year_1.abc .............. So what I need is how to write a script that all file with contain the character "_1" will copy to "_2" For example: file name:... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: hainguyen1402
7 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Read data from .csv file through shell script & modify

I need to read data from a file called "test.csv" through shell script where the file contains values like name,price,descriptor etc. There are rows where descriptor (& in some rows name) are written as string & other characters like "car_+" OR "bike*" etc where it should contains strings like... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: raj100
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Modify text file using shell script

Hi, I have a text file which is following format - COL VAL ABC 1 ABC 2 ABC 3 ABC 4 ABC 5 My requirement is to search for a particular value (provided by user) in the file and comment the previous entries including that as well. E.g. If I search for number 3, then the output... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: bhupinder08
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script to modify file in several directories

Hi, I want a script shell to automate modifying httpd.conf file for several instances of apache, save httpd.file before changing it, after modifying it and then restart apache. - Replace ServerRoot "xxxx" by ServerRoot "yyyy" of all directories : "... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: bras39
4 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Copy and modify a file if the original has changed

Hi there, I have built up my own little "cloud" for my family as the amount of computers grows all day. By now we use 3 smartphones, 2 notebooks und 4 PCs, so this "home cloud" was made to store all personal data (photos, documents,...) and do a backup once in a while. It is running on a Ubuntu... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: SebSnake
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Make a copy of a file when someone tries to modify the file

I wish to take a backup of the file when someone tries to modify a file say /tmp/test.txt using vi, vim, cat, copy, mv commands. I'm aware of inotify which will notify me of any changes to the file however, I wish to make a backup before and not after the changes are made to the file. I... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mohtashims
1 Replies
virt-copy-in(1) 					      Virtualization Support						   virt-copy-in(1)

NAME
virt-copy-in - Copy files and directories into a virtual machine disk image. SYNOPSIS
virt-copy-in -a disk.img file|dir [file|dir ...] /destination virt-copy-in -d domain file|dir [file|dir ...] /destination WARNING
Using "virt-copy-in" on live virtual machines can be dangerous, potentially causing disk corruption. The virtual machine must be shut down before you use this command. DESCRIPTION
"virt-copy-in" copies files and directories from the local disk into a virtual machine disk image or named libvirt domain. You can give one of more filenames and directories on the command line. Directories are copied in recursively. The final parameter must be the destination directory in the disk image which must be an absolute path starting with a "/" character. EXAMPLES
Update "/etc/resolv.conf" in a guest: virt-copy-in -d MyGuest resolv.conf /etc Upload a home directory to a guest: virt-copy-in -d MyGuest skel /home JUST A SHELL SCRIPT WRAPPER AROUND GUESTFISH
This command is just a simple shell script wrapper around the guestfish(1) "copy-in" command. For anything more complex than a trivial copy, you are probably better off using guestfish directly. OPTIONS
Since the shell script just passes options straight to guestfish, read guestfish(1) to see the full list of options. SEE ALSO
guestfish(1), virt-cat(1), virt-copy-out(1), virt-edit(1), virt-tar-in(1), virt-tar-out(1), <http://libguestfs.org/>. AUTHORS
Richard W.M. Jones ("rjones at redhat dot com") COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2011 Red Hat Inc. <http://libguestfs.org/> This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by the Free Software Foundation; either version 2 of the License, or (at your option) any later version. This program is distributed in the hope that it will be useful, but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. See the GNU General Public License for more details. You should have received a copy of the GNU General Public License along with this program; if not, write to the Free Software Foundation, Inc., 51 Franklin Street, Fifth Floor, Boston, MA 02110-1301 USA. libguestfs-1.18.1 2013-12-07 virt-copy-in(1)