Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers "Gtk-WARNING cannot open display" from ssh Post 302366454 by vbe on Thursday 29th of October 2009 01:55:19 PM
Old 10-29-2009
Lets start from beginning:
What does
Code:
echo $DISPLAY

Give you?
If nothing
do you know your local IP?
If so give it to the DISPLAY variable:
Code:
export DISPLAY=<your IP>:0.0

What shell are you using ? (syntax given for ksh...)

---------- Post updated at 18:55 ---------- Previous update was at 18:50 ----------

This is what I have set on my host: (/etc/ssh/sshd_config)
Code:

AllowTcpForwarding yes
#GatewayPorts no
X11Forwarding yes
#X11DisplayOffset 10
X11UseLocalhost yes

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. SuSE

VMDB Failure" followed by "Unable to open snapshot file"

keep getting an error when I try to revert to a snapshot: "VMDB Failure" followed by "Unable to open snapshot file" Im using vmware server 1.0.4, host OS is windows xp and guest OS is SLES. Is there anything I can do to recover the snapshot or am I in trouble!?!?! (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: s_linux
0 Replies

2. IP Networking

Unknown open port: "6881/tcp open bittorrent-tracker" found with nmap

Hi. I ran nmap on my server, and I get the following: Starting Nmap 4.76 ( http://nmap.org ) at 2009-03-19 16:33 EDT Interesting ports on -------- (-----): Not shown: 997 closed ports PORT STATE SERVICE 22/tcp open ssh 80/tcp open http 6881/tcp open bittorrent-tracker The... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Rledley
0 Replies

3. Solaris

X11 and "Cannot Open Display" errors

Greetings Forumers! I'm posting a solution to an Issue I ran into this week: Getting applications to display on another through X11 and SSH. I have run into this issue many years ago and finally found my notes. Some of you may already know the answer to this issue but it took me a while to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bluescreen
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk command to replace ";" with "|" and ""|" at diferent places in line of file

Hi, I have line in input file as below: 3G_CENTRAL;INDONESIA_(M)_TELKOMSEL;SPECIAL_WORLD_GRP_7_FA_2_TELKOMSEL My expected output for line in the file must be : "1-Radon1-cMOC_deg"|"LDIndex"|"3G_CENTRAL|INDONESIA_(M)_TELKOMSEL"|LAST|"SPECIAL_WORLD_GRP_7_FA_2_TELKOMSEL" Can someone... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: shis100
7 Replies

5. Linux

(PMT:6498): Gtk-WARNING **: cannot open display:

Hai (PMT:6498): Gtk-WARNING **: cannot open display: how to solve this in linux Double post.. continue here (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: vinayd
0 Replies

6. Red Hat

(PMT:6498): Gtk-WARNING **: cannot open display:

Error message: (PMT:6498): Gtk-WARNING **: cannot open display: How to solve this issue in linux? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vinayd
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

What is the significance of sh -s in ssh -qtt ${user}@${host} "sh -s "${version}"" < test.sh?

Please can you help me understand the significance of providing arguments under sh -s in > ssh -qtt ${user}@${host} "sh -s "${version}"" < test.sh (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sree10
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Expect: spawn id exp5 not open while executing "expect "$" { send "sudo su -\r" }"

Hi All, i am trying to ssh to a remote machine and execute certain command to remote machine through script. i am able to ssh but after its getting hung at the promt and after pressing ctrl +d i am gettin the out put as expect: spawn id exp5 not open while executing "expect "$" {... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Siddharth shivh
3 Replies

9. AIX

Apache 2.4 directory cannot display "Last modified" "Size" "Description"

Hi 2 all, i have had AIX 7.2 :/# /usr/IBMAHS/bin/apachectl -v Server version: Apache/2.4.12 (Unix) Server built: May 25 2015 04:58:27 :/#:/# /usr/IBMAHS/bin/apachectl -M Loaded Modules: core_module (static) so_module (static) http_module (static) mpm_worker_module (static) ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: penchev
3 Replies
GNOME-SSH-ASKPASS(1)					      General Commands Manual					      GNOME-SSH-ASKPASS(1)

NAME
gnome-ssh-askpass - prompts a user for a passphrase using GNOME SYNOPSIS
gnome-ssh-askpass DESCRIPTION
gnome-ssh-askpass is a GNOME-based passphrase dialog for use with OpenSSH. It is intended to be called by the ssh-add(1) program and not invoked directly. It allows ssh-add(1) to obtain a passphrase from a user, even if not connected to a terminal (assuming that an X display is available). This happens automatically in the case where ssh-add is invoked from one's ~/.xsession or as one of the GNOME startup pro- grams, for example. In order to be called automatically by ssh-add, gnome-ssh-askpass should be installed as /usr/bin/ssh-askpass. ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
The following environment variables are recognized: GNOME_SSH_ASKPASS_GRAB_SERVER Causes gnome-ssh-askpass to grab the X server before asking for a passphrase. GNOME_SSH_ASKPASS_GRAB_POINTER Causes gnome-ssh-askpass to grab the mouse pointer using gdk_pointer_grab() before asking for a passphrase. Regardless of whether either of these environment variables is set, gnome-ssh-askpass will grab the keyboard using gdk_keyboard_grab(). AUTHOR
This manual page was written by Colin Watson <cjwatson@debian.org> for the Debian system (but may be used by others). It was based on that for x11-ssh-askpass by Philip Hands. GNOME-SSH-ASKPASS(1)