Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers [Help] Setup slave dns server Post 302366313 by kouh on Thursday 29th of October 2009 08:51:54 AM
Old 10-29-2009
Sorry for not specify my question. You are right.

I have two servers. One will be primary and the other secondary.
Both have installed CentOS 5.4 and Bind.
The primary is working. It respondes to queries and already have some dns zones "working on it".
So, the question I want to make in the first post was: how to configure secondary (and primary if needed) to automatically get the dns zones from the primary?
What configurations I have to make? And which servers?

I read some websites that say that allow-transfer is needed. But I'm pretty sure that this is not enough.
I already check that the rndc.key is the same in both server, too.
Many websites talk about this, but none says especifically how to implement this configuration. And because primary is already running, I don't want to make "experiences".
Maybe, I will have to try this in a VMWare.

Anyway, if someone could give me some guidance, I appreciate.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

setup a DNS server for my redhat server

Using Redhat Linux Enterprise AS 4 can someone teach me how to setup a dns server for my webserver? i've registered a domainname at mydomain.com but when i type in the domain i register i cannot enter to my webserver. someone told me that it is related with the DNS setting on my server. i've... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kaixiang88
2 Replies

2. AIX

Setup DNS server on AIX6.1

I'm planning of setting up a DNS server on AIX 6.1. Could someone shed me some lights on the step-by-steps of how to set this up? Thanks. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: famasutika
2 Replies

3. Solaris

DNS Server setup

I am trying to setup DNS server in Solaris 10. I have two blade 1500 system and want to setup two name server I would like to start setting up DNS. appreciate your help. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mnathan
1 Replies

4. IP Networking

DNS does all slave Name Server must be in the zone Resource Record file?

Hy guys, I've a problem configuring my Name Server (using bind 9) which is I'ts always necessary to put all slave Name Server for a zone in the zone resource record file or db (as you prefer)? I've this scenario: A - my domain which is son of some TLD and I delegated into two new domains B... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pharaoh
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

NIS setup: Mastr on AIX and slave on Solaris?

Hello - This could be a stupid question. But can we configure NIS with different flavors of UNIX. Like Master on AIX and slave on Solaris? ---------- Post updated 09-06-11 at 04:17 AM ---------- Previous update was 09-05-11 at 06:34 AM ---------- Hi - Can anyone please answer this? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: manju--
1 Replies

6. IP Networking

How to DNS Setup ??

Dear All, I need to setup DNS just for the local network. So, I created a master zone with all the settings. I created A records and NS records. Applied new configurations and Stopped Bind9 and then restarted it. But when I enter the domain name in the browser of another client machine it... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: krishna.lu
9 Replies

7. Linux

Setting up slave DNS?

can someone point me in the right direction im trying to setup a Slave dns server this is my named.conf file zone "website1.org" { type slave; file"mydb-for-website1-org"; notify NO; };and this is my var/named/mydb-for-website1-org $TTL 3D @ IN SOA ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: gangsta
1 Replies

8. Red Hat

DNS Server Setup Centos 6.5 Issues

I am having a bit of trouble getting my CENTOS 6.5 DNS server to work correctly in our testlab environment. Lab network is 10.8.0.0/24 in which we all access from 10.7.0.0.0/24 && 10.0.0.0/24. Here are my configs: options { listen-on port 53 { 127.0.0.1; 10.8.0.19;}; #listen-on-v6 port 53 {... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: metallica1973
2 Replies

9. IP Networking

DNS question about initial Master/Slave setup

Hey everyone. I'm creating a DNS master/slave server set up. I have the configurations all done I believe, the master has the required zone file, and the named.conf file has the allow transfer and allow query stuff set. The slave has it's own configs set. My question is that when initially... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Lost in Cyberia
1 Replies
dnsextd(8)						    BSD System Manager's Manual 						dnsextd(8)

NAME
dnsextd -- BIND Extension Daemon SYNOPSIS
dnsextd DESCRIPTION
dnsextd is a daemon invoked at boot time, running alongside BIND 9, to implement two EDNS0 extensions to the standard DNS protocol. dnsextd allows clients to perform DNS Updates with an attached lease lifetime, so that if the client crashes or is disconnected from the net- work, its address records will be automatically deleted after the lease expires. dnsextd allows clients to perform long-lived queries. Instead of rapidly polling the server to discover when information changes, long-lived queries enable a client to indicate its interest in some set of data, and then be notified asynchronously by the server whenever any of that data changes. dnsextd has no user-specifiable command-line argument, and users should not run dnsextd manually. SEE ALSO
mDNS(1) mDNSResponder(8) For information on Dynamic DNS Update, see RFC 2136 "Dynamic Updates in the Domain Name System (DNS UPDATE)" For information on Dynamic DNS Update Leases, see http://files.dns-sd.org/draft-dns-update-leases.txt For information on Long-Lived Queries, see http://files.dns-sd.org/draft-dns-llq.txt BUGS
dnsextd bugs are tracked in Apple Radar component "mDNSResponder". HISTORY
The dnsextd daemon first appeared in Mac OS X 10.4 (Tiger). Darwin June 2, 2019 Darwin