Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers [Help] Setup slave dns server Post 302366015 by mglenney on Wednesday 28th of October 2009 02:11:32 PM
Old 10-28-2009
Your question is too open. You don't look like you've done your homework which is the quickest way to not get a response on this forum. Figure some stuff out first:

1. What type of DNS server do you run now (the server that will be the master)? Do you host it? What is the platform it runs on?
  2. Do you want to stick with the same DNS server for the slave? If not, what? There are plenty to choose from. What platform will it run on?

The DNS server you choose and the platform it runs on will need to be determined before you can ask what configuration you need. Also, any DNS server is going to have documentation and a user community that would be your first resources for information on how to set it up.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

setup a DNS server for my redhat server

Using Redhat Linux Enterprise AS 4 can someone teach me how to setup a dns server for my webserver? i've registered a domainname at mydomain.com but when i type in the domain i register i cannot enter to my webserver. someone told me that it is related with the DNS setting on my server. i've... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kaixiang88
2 Replies

2. AIX

Setup DNS server on AIX6.1

I'm planning of setting up a DNS server on AIX 6.1. Could someone shed me some lights on the step-by-steps of how to set this up? Thanks. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: famasutika
2 Replies

3. Solaris

DNS Server setup

I am trying to setup DNS server in Solaris 10. I have two blade 1500 system and want to setup two name server I would like to start setting up DNS. appreciate your help. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mnathan
1 Replies

4. IP Networking

DNS does all slave Name Server must be in the zone Resource Record file?

Hy guys, I've a problem configuring my Name Server (using bind 9) which is I'ts always necessary to put all slave Name Server for a zone in the zone resource record file or db (as you prefer)? I've this scenario: A - my domain which is son of some TLD and I delegated into two new domains B... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pharaoh
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

NIS setup: Mastr on AIX and slave on Solaris?

Hello - This could be a stupid question. But can we configure NIS with different flavors of UNIX. Like Master on AIX and slave on Solaris? ---------- Post updated 09-06-11 at 04:17 AM ---------- Previous update was 09-05-11 at 06:34 AM ---------- Hi - Can anyone please answer this? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: manju--
1 Replies

6. IP Networking

How to DNS Setup ??

Dear All, I need to setup DNS just for the local network. So, I created a master zone with all the settings. I created A records and NS records. Applied new configurations and Stopped Bind9 and then restarted it. But when I enter the domain name in the browser of another client machine it... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: krishna.lu
9 Replies

7. Linux

Setting up slave DNS?

can someone point me in the right direction im trying to setup a Slave dns server this is my named.conf file zone "website1.org" { type slave; file"mydb-for-website1-org"; notify NO; };and this is my var/named/mydb-for-website1-org $TTL 3D @ IN SOA ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: gangsta
1 Replies

8. Red Hat

DNS Server Setup Centos 6.5 Issues

I am having a bit of trouble getting my CENTOS 6.5 DNS server to work correctly in our testlab environment. Lab network is 10.8.0.0/24 in which we all access from 10.7.0.0.0/24 && 10.0.0.0/24. Here are my configs: options { listen-on port 53 { 127.0.0.1; 10.8.0.19;}; #listen-on-v6 port 53 {... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: metallica1973
2 Replies

9. IP Networking

DNS question about initial Master/Slave setup

Hey everyone. I'm creating a DNS master/slave server set up. I have the configurations all done I believe, the master has the required zone file, and the named.conf file has the allow transfer and allow query stuff set. The slave has it's own configs set. My question is that when initially... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Lost in Cyberia
1 Replies
bindconfig(8)						      System Manager's Manual						     bindconfig(8)

NAME
bindconfig - Configures BIND services for a single system or cluster SYNOPSIS
/usr/sbin/bindconfig [-ui cui [clioptions] | gui [x resources]] /usr/sbin/sysman dns [-ui cui [clioptions] | gui [x resources]] OPTIONS
Specifies the user interface to be invoked. The choices are: Specifies command line interface. Specifies graphical user interface. Spe- cific command line options that will be used to interact with netconfig. The syntax is as follows: Provides a brief help message, listing all the configurable components along with the actions that can be performed on those components. Configurable components are indicated in Help output by a "-" prefix. Provides a detailed help message on how to configure the specified configurable component. Each action will be listed on a separate line with the attributes that can be used for the action. The configurable components are: Sets the respective variables in the /etc/rc.config.common file to denote that the system is configured as a BIND client. Sets the respective BIND variables in the /etc/rc.config.common file to denote that the system is configured as a BIND server, and allows the user to specify the boot, cache, and BIND database directory. The named daemon can be started and stopped during this configuration. Sets the resolution order in the /etc/svc.conf and /etc/svcorder files. Also sets the resolution parameters such as domain and name server in the /etc/resolv.conf file. This item must be configured in order for your system to run any BIND service as either a client or server. Configured only when the BIND service type is Server. Sets the domains of the zones the system has authority over in the /etc/namedb/named.boot file and creates files for the BIND database to be stored in. Resource records are specified for every zone configured, and the resource record data is stored in the respective zone database files. Used primarily to deconfigure BIND on a system, this removes all traces of BIND from the /etc/rc.con- fig.common, /etc/namedb/named.boot, /etc/resolv.conf, /etc/svcorder and /etc/svc.conf files and kills the named daemon if it is running. Used to perform a specific action on the selected component, optionally by altering the attribute's value for the selected component. A list of actions and their specific attribute-value pair will be listed by the clioption -configurable_component>Help. The actions are: Causes a new configuration to be created on the system for the selected component Modifies an existing configuration for the selected com- ponent Adds a new value to an attribute on an existing configuration for the selected component Deletes a value of an attribute on an existing configuration for the selected component Removes an existing configuration for the selected component Lists all the attribute- value pairs for the selected component on the system The x resources are standard X11 resource options. For more information, see the X(1X) reference page. DESCRIPTION
The Bind Configuration application, bindconfig, allows a system to be configured as a Berkeley Internet Name Domain (BIND) Client, which queries a BIND server for host name and address information, interprets responses, and passes the information to requesting applications, or as a BIND Server, which is the authoritative source for information about a zone or zones. The BIND server either maintains the master copy of the hosts database for the zone or zones, or obtains the required information. Before using bindconfig, be sure to configure Network Interfaces using the Network Configuration Manager application. You can access net- config from the Configuration Checklist. If the Network Interfaces are down when you configure your system as either a BIND client or a BIND server, the named daemon will not start. Use bindconfig to: Configure the host system as a master nameserver for one or more zones, as a caching-only nameserver, or as a nameser- vice client Initialize and maintain BIND data files and generate resource records to manage areas such as: host name to address/address to host name mapping, host information, host name aliasing, name servers, mail exchange, and the cache file root server list Manage the BIND boot files, including creation of multiple zones of authority, designation of forwarders, and indication of slave configurations Maintain the resolver configuration file, specify queriable name servers, and specify an alternate domain search list The bindconfig application provides a host name and address lookup service for the Internet Network. The application distributes only the hosts database in the Tru64 UNIX operating system. You must have root privileges to run this application. The bindconfig command has three user interface options: Graphical user interface (GUI) Command line interface (CLI) Menu interface (Menu) Running the Graphical User Interface Option: To start bindconfig from the graphical user interface, do the following: Click on the Application Manager icon on the CDE front panel. Double click on the System_Admin application group icon. Double click on the Configuration application group icon. Double click on the BIND icon. To start bindconfig from the xterm, enter the following command from the xterm: /usr/sbin/sysman dns Running the Command Line Interface Option: To start the bindconfig command line interface, enter the following command from the xterm: sysman dns -ui cui [clioptions] Running the Menu Interface Option: To start the bindconfig menu interface, enter the following command from the xterm: sysman dns This option starts the setup script for bindsetup. For more information, see the bindsetup(8) reference page. Running Online Help: You can view online help for this application by entering the following at the command line: /usr/dt/bin/dthelpview -helpVolume /usr/dt/appconfig/help/C/BindConfig.sdl You can also view online help for this application by choosing Help from the menu bar in the GUI version. The Help pulldown menu is dis- played, providing the following options: Overview: Displays the Overview section of the help volume, which describes the purpose of the application, how to run the application, and how to exit the application. Tasks: Displays the Tasks section of the help volume, which describes how to use the application to perform various tasks. Reference: Displays the Reference section of the help volume, which describes all dialog boxes and dialog box components in the applica- tion. On Item: Activates the On Item help functionality by displaying a question mark as the cursor. When the cursor is positioned on any compo- nent in the application and you click on the component, a Help Viewer window is opened and the help for the selected component is displayed in the window. Using Help: Displays the standard CDE instructions on how to use the Help Viewer. About: Displays version, copyright, and trademark information for the application. EXAMPLES
The following example shows how to configure the system for a BIND client configuration using the command line interface: sysman dns -ui cui -resolver create domain=x.y.com ns=1.1.1.1 sysman dns -ui cui -client create The following example shows how to add an additional name server using the command line interface: sysman dns -ui cui -resolver add ns=1.1.1.2 search=y.y.com The following example shows how to con- figure the system as a BIND server using the command line interface: bindconfig -ui cui -server create domain=x.y.com boot=/etc/namedb/named.boot cache=/etc/namedb/named.ca dir=/etc/namedb active=yes The following example shows how to deconfigure all BIND services using the command line interface: bindconfig -ui cui -all purge FILES
Lists locally maintained host names and IP addresses The database name with the selected naming services Specifies the environment vari- ables that define the BIND configuration on your system Default BIND Files: BIND server data file directory BIND server boot file BIND server cache file BIND server local host reverse address host file BIND primary server hosts file BIND primary server reverse address hosts file BIND data file SEE ALSO
Commands: named(8), nslookup(8), rc.config(8), svcsetup(8), xauth(1X) Files: resolv.conf(4), svc.conf(4) Network Services: bind_intro(7) bindconfig(8)