Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting using variables in case statement Post 302366004 by cfajohnson on Wednesday 28th of October 2009 01:46:04 PM
Old 10-28-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim mcnamara
Code:
lsmonth='Jan|Feb'
while read ans
do
	cmd=$(
		echo "
		case $ans in
		$lsmonth) echo do something
		;;
		*) echo do something else
		;;
		esac
		" )
eval $cmd
done

That will not work in most shells. The variable will be considered a single string, not as two choices.

And there's no need for command substitution:

Code:
case $ans in
     a|b) cmd='echo "do something"' ;;
     *) cmd='echo "do something else"' ;;
esac
eval "$cmd"

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

case statement

Hi all, is it possible to create a 'dynamic' case statement. ie select option in `ls` do case satement depending on results of the above `ls` done I hope I have explained this ok! Thanks Helen (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Bab00shka
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Case Statement

Can anyone please tell me why this wont work! Thanks so much! #!/bin/sh for file do case $file in *.*.*) echo Cannot have more than 1 dot exit ;; *'**'*) echo Cannot have more than 1 asterisk exit ;; *'*'*|?.) echo this is a target (19 Replies)
Discussion started by: Zeta_Acosta
19 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

case statement

hi all i'm writing a script and in it i need to prompt the user if the entered value is correct or not ,i wrote the following and its not working ,its executing the script even if i enter Y/N pls any help is appreciated echo "\nAre you sure you entered the right Destination Environment? y :... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: bkan77
5 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

If or Case Statement

I want to write a program with the following variables: a=7000 b=24000 c=613.8 The user can enter two words: Vivid or Blue for example. The challenge is that the user might not want to write the words the way they appear. The user can write V or v or vivid or Vivid or write Blue or blue, or B,... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Ernst
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

case statement

Hi all, I think i'm asking a sqtupid question here.. i'm using case sttament, what is the syntax or symbol for "or"? I thought was || here a quick sample of my case statment echo "Would you like to update your detail ?" read response case $response in ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: c00kie88
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

CASE statement

Hi, I am writing a bash shell script. My script has a few user defined parameters. When the script runs the first thing it does is make sure that these parameters are valid. One of the parameters is called YEAR. A valid input for YEAR can be 1997-2000. One way I have come up with to ensure... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: msb65
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

help with case statement

I am writing a script to pull diskspace information from our servers. Here is the script that I wrote: #!/bin/ksh for host in `cat /oper/hosts/esc.misc` do ssh -q -o ConnectTimeout=10 operator@$host df -h|grep "/dev/" |egrep '8%|9%|100%' | awk '{print H " " "at " $5 " with " $4 "... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rkruck
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

case statement

Hi, I am writing case statement to execute some finction, my requirement is once one of the case statement is executed again it has to prompt for the option. for script in `echo "$Script_Selected"` do case $script in 1) getNoOFActUsers ;; 2) moveServerrOORotation ;; ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Satyak
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Case Statement

Hey, guys I really need some help with a project. "Write a shell program that examines the command line arguments, counts and collects the number of options. Basically it has to collect and count the arguments that start with a "-" and the one's that don't start with a - I know I have to use... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sk192010`
2 Replies

10. Homework & Coursework Questions

Case Statement

Use and complete the template provided. The entire template must be completed. If you don't, your post may be deleted! 1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data: Hey, guys I really need some help with a project. "Write a shell program that examines the command line... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: sk192010`
8 Replies
SHELL-QUOTE(1)						User Contributed Perl Documentation					    SHELL-QUOTE(1)

NAME
shell-quote - quote arguments for safe use, unmodified in a shell command SYNOPSIS
shell-quote [switch]... arg... DESCRIPTION
shell-quote lets you pass arbitrary strings through the shell so that they won't be changed by the shell. This lets you process commands or files with embedded white space or shell globbing characters safely. Here are a few examples. EXAMPLES
ssh preserving args When running a remote command with ssh, ssh doesn't preserve the separate arguments it receives. It just joins them with spaces and passes them to "$SHELL -c". This doesn't work as intended: ssh host touch 'hi there' # fails It creates 2 files, hi and there. Instead, do this: cmd=`shell-quote touch 'hi there'` ssh host "$cmd" This gives you just 1 file, hi there. process find output It's not ordinarily possible to process an arbitrary list of files output by find with a shell script. Anything you put in $IFS to split up the output could legitimately be in a file's name. Here's how you can do it using shell-quote: eval set -- `find -type f -print0 | xargs -0 shell-quote --` debug shell scripts shell-quote is better than echo for debugging shell scripts. debug() { [ -z "$debug" ] || shell-quote "debug:" "$@" } With echo you can't tell the difference between "debug 'foo bar'" and "debug foo bar", but with shell-quote you can. save a command for later shell-quote can be used to build up a shell command to run later. Say you want the user to be able to give you switches for a command you're going to run. If you don't want the switches to be re-evaluated by the shell (which is usually a good idea, else there are things the user can't pass through), you can do something like this: user_switches= while [ $# != 0 ] do case x$1 in x--pass-through) [ $# -gt 1 ] || die "need an argument for $1" user_switches="$user_switches "`shell-quote -- "$2"` shift;; # process other switches esac shift done # later eval "shell-quote some-command $user_switches my args" OPTIONS
--debug Turn debugging on. --help Show the usage message and die. --version Show the version number and exit. AVAILABILITY
The code is licensed under the GNU GPL. Check http://www.argon.org/~roderick/ or CPAN for updated versions. AUTHOR
Roderick Schertler <roderick@argon.org> perl v5.16.3 2010-06-11 SHELL-QUOTE(1)