Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux Ubuntu XP and Linux (Ubuntu) on same disk, Can I install Ubuntu on not-yet partitioned portion of disk? Post 302365693 by C.Weidemann on Tuesday 27th of October 2009 08:00:53 PM
Old 10-27-2009
XP -Ubuntu 9 Nordic Version double boot

Thanks for all responses so far.

In the mean time I made some experiments using slow and aged PC:s in order to get a feeling for what might happen of (or when) I will install Ubuntu (or Debian or ...) on my 'production PC'.

Experiment 1
PC Bell 450/b1r, 1999, Pentium II, Ram 640
10 GB Drive was partitionated in a PC using the Win 2000 Disk Manager (Scaleo 400C, 2001, Ram 256 MB)
When the Drive was in condition 'partitionated' neither Debian 5 or Ubuntu 9 could be installed successfully.
When the Drive was in condition 'Partitionated and then Partition Deleted', Debian could be installed successfully (swedish keybooard ok). I noticed that the install program asked where to install grub. This is of interest for Experiment 2 (below)
Ubuntu 9.04 Nordic Version could not be installed sucessfully, black screen before user was asked where are you or where install ...
A sideeffect was that inititial test results demonstated yhe old truth that drive cable select settings mist be set with care..

Experiment 2
20 GB Drive. I installed XP on a first Partition (10 GB)- Free space 9 GB for intended installation of Uubuntu.
The free space waas obtained by using XP Manage Disk (Make partition, followed by delete partition)
Installation of Ubuntu 9.04 Nordic Version failed.
Another evening I will test Ubuntu-9.04-desktop-i386.iso
and perhaps Debian 5

Last edited by C.Weidemann; 10-27-2009 at 09:04 PM.. Reason: Replaced MB by GB

5 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Would like to install x86 desktop Ubuntu over AMD64 Ubuntu server

My intention was to build a dual boot XP Pro 64 and Ubuntu media server. I had installed the AMD64 version of Ubuntu 8.10 server and thought that I would be able to install Apache server. I need a GUI to work in. I tried to boot and install Mythbuntu 32 bit 8.10, but my machine now won't recognize... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: docflyboy
0 Replies

2. Solaris

Linux partitioned disk mounted on OSOL without formatting

Hello and Merry Christmas... Quick question after tireless search around the web. Description: I have a WD My book world edition II that met an untimely death. However the 2 SATA disks inside seem to be working just fine. Want to add either one of them to my Solaris Desktop. Since I... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: michnmi
5 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How do I mount a new disk on ubuntu linux?

Hello, I am fairly new to ubuntu and have been learning linux using this distro. I am using Ubuntu 11.04 server. Recently I added a new HD to the desktop.. however I know I need to mount it, My question is how would I mount this disk? so I can use it as a drive? Thanks here are my... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: NelsonC
5 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Ubuntu ZFS split disk

Hello all, At the moment i'm building a home made nas/media server running ubuntu. After reading some articles about ZFS I decided to use it (at first on a virtual machine). the machine is gonna be a AMD fusion with two 1TB disks and one 64GB ssd for the OS This is what im trying to... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: StrikeByte
7 Replies

5. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

How to manage disk usage in Ubuntu?

Hello, I have been running under ubuntu 14.04 trusty and 18.04 bionic. What I wonder is about: * how to stop all process in case hdd capacity is almost full and create space for system files * if possible, to prevent filesystem to write anything into hdd when there is such a risk * if... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: baris35
4 Replies
NTFS.UTIL(8)						    BSD System Manager's Manual 					      NTFS.UTIL(8)

NAME
ntfs.util -- NTFS file system utility SYNOPSIS
ntfs.util -k device ntfs.util -m device mountpoint mountflag1 mountflag2 mountflag3 mountflag4 ntfs.util -p device mountflag1 mountflag2 ntfs.util -u device mountpoint DESCRIPTION
The ntfs.util command supports the mounting, probing, and unmounting of NTFS file systems. Options: -k Get the UUID key for the NTFS file system at device. -m Mount the NTFS file system located on device onto mountpoint with the flags mountflag1 mountflag2 mountflag3 mountflag4. -p Probe the device for an NTFS file system using the flags mountflag1 mountflag2. If the probe is successful, i.e. the device contains a valid NTFS file system, its label is printed to the standard output stream. -u Unmount the NTFS file system located at device and mounted on mountpoint. The mountflags referenced above are: o mountflag1: removable or fixed o mountflag2: readonly or writeable o mountflag3: suid or nosuid o mountflag4: dev or nodev SEE ALSO
diskarbitrationd(8) mount_ntfs(8) HISTORY
This NTFS implementation first appeared in Mac OS X 10.5. AUTHORS
This NTFS implementation was written by Anton Altaparmakov <aia21@cantab.net>. Mac OS X October 22, 2006 Mac OS X