Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: append last line
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting append last line Post 302365581 by protocomm on Tuesday 27th of October 2009 01:22:12 PM
Old 10-27-2009
I have bash and it's works fine,but perhaps you have another shell.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

append a line to the last line in a file

Suppose i have a file "xyz.txt" which contains abcdef ghijklm nop Now in want to add "qrst" to the last line such that the file becomes abcdef ghijklm nopqrst P.S:The o/p i need is abcdef ghijklm nopqrst (and not) nop qrst (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: subhrap.das
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Joining lines in reverse. append line 1 to line 2.

Hi I have used many times the various methods to append two lines together in a file. This time I want to append the 1st line to the second and repeat for the complete file.... an example This is the file owns the big brown dog joe owns the small black dog jim What I want is ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: dwalley
7 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Append line that does not contain pipe to it previous line

Hi All, I have a file which contains data as below When we see no pipe character in the line. append those lines to the previous line with pipe character till we get the next line with pipe character with ~(concat with ~) Input file looks like: 1080530944|001|john.l.bonner|Acknowledge|CN... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: ainuddin
11 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Append each line to next previous line in a file

Hi all, Please help me in providing sample code to append the following 4 lines in one row. Input : A1/EXT "BAPBSC10/07B/00" 523 090530 0115 RXOCF-430 HY1711 1 EXTERNAL ALARM DOOR ALARM Output should be : A1/EXT "BAPBSC10/07B/00" 523 090530 0115 ... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: sudhakaryadav
8 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

shell script to read a line in gps receiver log file and append that line to new file

Hi, I have gps receiver log..its giving readings .like below Trying 127.0.0.1... Connected to localhost. Escape character is '^]'. GPSD,R=1 $GPGSV,3,1,11,08,16,328,40,11,36,127,00,28,33,283,39,20,11,165,00*71... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: gudivada213
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Append next line to previous line when one pattern not found

Hi, I need help for below scenario.I have a flat file which is having records seperated by delimiters which will represent each record for oracle table.My Control file will consider each line as one record for that table. Some of the lines are aligned in two/three lines so that records are... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: kannansr621
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

find a certain line and append text to the end of the line

After I create printer queues in AIX, I have to append a filter file location within that printers custom file. within lets say test_queue.txt I need to find the row that starts with :699 and then I need to append on the end the string /usr/local/bin/k_portrait.sh. Now I've gotten the sed... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: peachclift
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to remove fields space and append next line to previous line.?

awk 'BEGIN{FS = "Ç"} NR == 1 {p = $0; next} NF > 1 {print p; p = $0} NF <= 1 {p = (p " " $0)} END {print p}' input.txt > output.txt This is what the input data file looks like with broken lines Code: 29863 Ç890000000 Ç543209911 ÇCHNGOHG Ç000000001 Ç055 ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: cumeh1624
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Append Next line with current Line bassed on condition

Hi, I have an XML file and I am tring to extract some data form it, after lot of data cleaning process, I ended up with an issue, and need your urgent support. my current input data in below format: <Node>xxxxxx <Node>yyyyy</Node> <Node>zzzzzz <Node>12345</node> I need... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: rramkrishnas
9 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove new line starting with a numeric value and append it to the previous line

Hi, i have a file with multiple entries. After some tests with sed i managed to get the file output as follows: lsn=X-LINK-IN0,apc=661:0,state=avail,avail/links=1/1, 00,2110597,2094790,0,81,529,75649011,56435363, lsn=TM1ITP1-AM1ITP1-LS,apc=500:0,state=avail,avail/links=1/1,... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: nms
5 Replies
SYSLOGOUT(8)						      System Manager's Manual						      SYSLOGOUT(8)

NAME
syslogout - modular centralized shell logout mechanism DESCRIPTION
syslogout is a generic approach to enable centralized shell logout actions for all users of a given system in a modular and centralized way mostly aimed at avoiding work for lazy sysadmins. It has only been tested to work with the bash shell. It basically consists of the small /etc/syslogout shell script which invokes other small shell scripts having a .bash suffix which are con- tained in the /etc/syslogout.d/ directory. The system administrator can drop in any script he wants without any naming convention other than that the scripts need to have a .bash suffix to enable automagic sourcing by the /etc/syslogout script. For shell sessions, the contents of /etc/syslogout.d/" will be sourced by every user at logout if the following lines are present in his $HOME/.bash_logout: if [ -f /etc/syslogout ]; then . /etc/syslogout fi If used for X sessions it is advisable to include the former statement into the Xreset script of the X display manager instead to prevent that closing of an terminal emulator window yields unexpected results in your running X session if your X11 terminal emulator is using a login shell. Be sure then to run it under the user-id of the X session's user. See the example files in /usr/share/doc/syslogout/ for illustration. Users not wanting /etc/syslogout to be sourced for their environment can easily disable it's automatic mechanism. It can be disabled by simply creating an empty file called $HOME/.nosyslogout in the user's home directory using e.g. the touch(1) command. Any single configuration file in /etc/syslogout.d/ can simply be overridden by any user by creating a private $HOME/.syslogout.d/ directory which may contain a user's own version of any configuration file to be sourced instead of the system default. It's names have just to match exactly the system's default /etc/syslogout.d/ configuration files. Empty versions of these files contained in the $HOME/.syslo- gout.d/ directory automatically disable sourcing of the system wide version. Naturally, users can add and include their own private scripts to be automagically executed by /etc/syslogout at logout time. OPTIONS
There are no options other than those dictated by shell conventions. Anything is defined within the configuration scripts themselves. SEE ALSO
The README files and configuration examples contained in /usr/share/doc/syslogout/ and the manual page for bash(1), xdm(1x), xdm.options(5), and wdm(1x). Recommended further reading is everything related with shell programming. If you need a similar mechanism for executing code at login time check out the related package sysprofile(8) which is a very close compan- ion to syslogout. BUGS
syslogout in its current form is mainly restricted to bash(1) syntax. In fact it is actually a rather embarrassing quick and dirty hack than anything else - but it works. It serves the practical need to enable a centralized bash configuration until something better becomes available. Your constructive criticism in making this into something better" is very welcome. Before i forget to mention it: we take patches... ;-) AUTHOR
syslogout was developed by Paul Seelig <pseelig@debian.org> specifically for the Debian GNU/Linux system. Feel free to port it to and use it anywhere else under the conditions of either the GNU public license or the BSD license or both. Better yet, please help to make it into something more worthwhile than it currently is. SYSLOGOUT(8)