Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting bash script for showing last users Post 302365547 by peterro on Tuesday 27th of October 2009 11:01:49 AM
Old 10-27-2009
Ok, I'm still sticking with this being a more complex problem than a single pipe-line command. If someone else has a better solution, that'd be great.

Some pseudo code:

Code:
Convert your date range input to seconds since epoch for easier calculation (date command can do this depending on version)
  (input start point and input end point ISP and IEP)
Get your pared down output from the 'last' command
for each entry{
  convert that logged in range to seconds since epoch for easier calculation
    (entry start point and entry end point ESP and EEP)
  determine if ((ESP > ISP) and (ESP < IEP)) or ((EEP > ISP) and (EEP < IEP))     # Entry is somewhere within specified range
  If the entry is within the range, save it for later calculations
  Determine when to stop reading 'last' input because the rest don't fall
  into your specified range.
}
Now take the entries that are within your range
  find the unique names and their number of entries and sort by alpha

This would be a useful script if you get it working. Maybe you could post it when done.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

bash/awk scripting help (creating OLD new users)

I need some help making this script... I guess I'm having trouble even interpretating what to even get started on... I need to create a script that will search a given directory (typically a user's home directory, but not necessarily) as provided on the command line and any sub-directors for... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jukai
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Showing offline users

Hi, Is there any command for showing offline users? The only way I can think of doing it (as i cant find a command) is getting a list of all the online users, and comparing it to /etc/passwd, anything that is in /etc/passwd and not in the users file will be offline users. But I have no... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mikejreading
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash Help: users who are not logged into the system to display

A Newbie here, I am working on a script and am having problems with the else part of the script. I can't get the users who are not logged into the system to display on the screen with their username and the text "The user is not logged in". I am sure it is something simple and stupid, but I... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: rchirico
5 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Need help showing which network protocol users use.

I'm having a bit of a trouble trying to figure out how to tell which network protocol users HAVE been logging in with. I know how to find this information for currently logged in users : maximillian.gardner@syccuxfs01:~> who joseph.blosser pts/0 2012-01-15 14:07 (198.107.160.185)... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: maximillian.g
5 Replies

5. Red Hat

Showing all users in 'users' and 'top' commands

Hi All, I work in a multi user environment where my school uses Red Hat Linux server. When I issue commands such as "top" or "users", I get to see what others are doing and what kinds of applications they are running (even ps -aux will give such information). "users" will let me know who else is... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: shoaibjameel123
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script in bash wchich creating a new users...

Hi, I am a new on this forum but i like :) I need a script in bash which will be crating a new user with folder for websites. For example: I will run this program and he creating a new user(with my name) and folder whcich name like user and if i will localho/~user in browser, she show me files from... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: puclavv
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

About adding users from a text file using bash

hello, I try to add users from a text file with this form: username:groupename:homedir first i extract data which is separated by ":" then i use useradd to add users/groups. but,,, my code doesn't works : #!/bin/bash echo "give me a text file: " read dir # control if... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ref012
2 Replies

8. Ubuntu

Expect /bash, 2 ssh login users

HI all i need to connect to about 900 cisco routers and switch to do some configs changes. the issue i am having is that half the devices have one set of username and password and the other half have another username and password. From expect or bash script i can ssh into a device and make... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: quintin
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to block first bash script until second bash script script launches web server/site?

I'm new to utilities like socat and netcat and I'm not clear if they will do what I need. I have a "compileDeployStartWebServer.sh" script and a "StartBrowser.sh" script that are started by emacs/elisp at the same time in two different processes. I'm using Cygwin bash on Windows 10. My... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: siegfried
3 Replies
GMT_SHELL_FUNCTIONS.SH(1gmt)				       Generic Mapping Tools				      GMT_SHELL_FUNCTIONS.SH(1gmt)

NAME
gmt_shell_functions.sh - Practical functions to be used in GMT bourne shell scripts SYNOPSIS
gmt_init_tmpdir gmt_remove_tmpdir gmt_clean_up [prefix] gmt_message message gmt_abort message gmt_nrecords file(s) gmt_nfields string gmt_get_field string gmt_get_region file(s) [options] gmt_get_gridregion file [options] gmt_get_map_width -R -J gmt_get_map_height -R -J gmt_set_psfile file gmt_set_framename prefix framenumber gmt_set_framenext framenumber DESCRIPTION
gmt_shell_functions.sh provides a set of functions to Bourne (again) shell scripts in support of GMT. The calling shell script should include the following line, before the functions can be used: . gmt_shell_functions.sh Once included in a shell script, gmt_shell_functions.sh allows GMT users to do some scripting more easily than otherwise. The functions made available are: gmt_init_tmpdir Creates a temporary directory in /tmp or (when defined) in the directory specified by the environment variable TMPDIR. The name of the temporary directory is returned as environment variable GMT_TMPDIR. This function also causes GMT to run in `isolation mode', i.e. all temporary files will be created in GMT_TMPDIR and the .gmtdefaults file will not be adjusted. gmt_remove_tmpdir Removes the temporary directory and unsets the GMT_TMPDIR environment variable. gmt_cleanup Remove all files and directories in which the current process number is part of the file name. If the optional prefix is given then we also delete all files and directories that begins with the given prefix. gmt_message Send a message to standard error. gmt_abort Send a message to standard error and exit the shell. gmt_nrecords Returns the total number of lines in file(s) gmt_nfields Returns the number of fields or words in string gmt_get_field Returns the given field in a string. Must pass string between double quotes to preserve it as one item. gmt_get_region Returns the region in the form w/e/s/n based on the data in table file(s). Optionally add -Idx/dy to round off the answer. gmt_get_gridregion Returns the region in the form w/e/s/n based on the header of a grid file. Optionally add -Idx/dy to round off the answer. gmt_map_width Expects the user to give the desired -R -J settings and returns the map width in the current measurement unit. gmt_map_height Expects the user to give the desired -R -J settings and returns the map height in the current measurement unit. gmt_set_psfile Create the output PostScript file name based on the base name of a given file (usually the script name $0). gmt_set_framename Returns a lexically ordered filename stem (i.e., no extension) given the file prefix and the current frame number, using a width of 6 for the integer including leading zeros. Useful when creating animations and lexically sorted filenames are required. gmt_set_framenext Accepts the current frame integer counter and returns the next integer counter. NOTES
1. These functions only work in the bourne shell (sh) and their derivatives (like ash, bash, ksh and zsh). These functions do not work in the C shell (csh) or their derivatives (like tcsh), and cannot be used in DOS batch scripts either. 2. gmt_shell_functions.sh were first introduced in GMT version 4.2.2 and have since been regularly expanded with other practical scripting short-cuts. If you want to suggest other functions, please do so by mailing to the GMT mailing list: gmt-help@lists.hawaii.edu. SEE ALSO
GMT(1), sh(1), bash(1), minmax(1), grdinfo(1) GMT 4.5.7 15 Jul 2011 GMT_SHELL_FUNCTIONS.SH(1gmt)