Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Removing last character of string Post 302365473 by proactiveaditya on Tuesday 27th of October 2009 07:21:50 AM
Old 10-27-2009
Code:
echo $string|sed 's/.\{n\}$//'

Where n is the number of characters of the string that you want to remove from the end. In your case it is 1. So it should be,
Code:
sed 's/.\{1\}$//'

---------- Post updated at 06:21 AM ---------- Previous update was at 06:20 AM ----------

Code:
[root@wiki ~]# string=qwerty
[root@wiki ~]# echo $string|sed 's/.\{1\}$//'
qwert
[root@wiki ~]# echo $string|sed 's/.\{2\}$//'
qwer

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Removing the ^M character in VI

Hello, I am attempting to remove all the ^M characters in a file in VI. The command I am using is :1,$s/^V^M//g but it doesn't work, saying 'substitute pattern match failed'. Any ideas why? Jules (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: julesinbath
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Removing first character in a string

While writing a shell script i happen to store some value in a string. Lets say the value is 59788. Now in this script i want to get the value 9788 removing the first charater 5. The original string length usually remains constant. Is there a single line command to do this or any simple way to... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: npn
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removing character ' from a variable

Hello there, I have a variable in the form of '/example/file.txt' . I want to remove the ' characters from the beginning and the end so that the my new variable becomes /example/file.txt . How can I do it in a script? I know this is a fairly easy question, but i wasn't able to implement it. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sertansenturk
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Korn: How to loop through a string character by character

If I have a string defined as: MyString=abcde echo $MyString How can I loop through it character by character? I haven't been able to find a way to index the string so that I loop through it. shew01 (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: shew01
10 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need some help removing a character from name

I have a file like this: DDD_ABCDE2AB2_1104081408.104480 I need to remove the 1 after the . in the file name so that it reads: DDD_ABCDE2AB2_1104081408.04480 Having some difficulty getting the command to work. I tried using cut -d 26 but that just doesn't work. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: bbbngowc
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Removing a character

I need to remove square brackets from output of script. Output is: and I need to remove the square brackets so I am lett with 121 Is sed the only means to do this and if so what are the options? ...ok so far I have managed to get rid of ] by using /usr/bin/sed 's/]//' but that... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: rob171171
5 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Need help removing last character of every line if certain character

I need help removing the last character of every line if it is a certain character. For example I need to get rid of a % character if it is in the last position. Input: aaa% %bbb ccc d%dd% Output should be: aaa %bbb ccc d%dd I tried this but it gets rid of all of the % characters.... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: raptor25
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

removing last character

Hi, I have a file that has data something like below: A B C D ..... ...... .....and so on I am trying to bring it in one line with comma delimited something like below : A,B,C,D I tried the something below in the code section: cat File.txt | tr '\n' ',' (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rkumar28
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

[Solved] Removing an 8 character string

Edit: Figured it out. Close the thread please. Solution: \{8}\] edit by bakunin: no need to close the thread, but i changed the title to SOLVED. Thanks for writing a follow-up. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: unknownn
0 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed searches a character string for a specified delimiter character, and returns a leading or traili

Hi, Anyone can help using SED searches a character string for a specified delimiter character, and returns a leading or trailing space/blank. Text file : "1"|"ExternalClassDEA519CF5"|"Art1" "2"|"ExternalClass563EA516C"|"Art3" "3"|"ExternalClass305ED16B8"|"Art9" ... ... ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: fspalero
2 Replies
Locale::Codes::LangExt(3pm)				 Perl Programmers Reference Guide			       Locale::Codes::LangExt(3pm)

NAME
Locale::Codes::LangExt - standard codes for language extension identification SYNOPSIS
use Locale::Codes::LangExt; $lext = code2langext('acm'); # $lext gets 'Mesopotamian Arabic' $code = langext2code('Mesopotamian Arabic'); # $code gets 'acm' @codes = all_langext_codes(); @names = all_langext_names(); DESCRIPTION
The "Locale::Codes::LangExt" module provides access to standard codes used for identifying language extensions, such as those as defined in the IANA language registry. Most of the routines take an optional additional argument which specifies the code set to use. If not specified, the default IANA language registry codes will be used. SUPPORTED CODE SETS
There are several different code sets you can use for identifying language extensions. A code set may be specified using either a name, or a constant that is automatically exported by this module. For example, the two are equivalent: $lext = code2langext('acm','alpha'); $lext = code2langext('acm',LOCALE_LANGEXT_ALPHA); The codesets currently supported are: alpha This is the set of three-letter (lowercase) codes from the IANA language registry, such as 'acm' for Mesopotamian Arabic. This is the default code set. ROUTINES
code2langext ( CODE [,CODESET] ) langext2code ( NAME [,CODESET] ) langext_code2code ( CODE ,CODESET ,CODESET2 ) all_langext_codes ( [CODESET] ) all_langext_names ( [CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::rename_langext ( CODE ,NEW_NAME [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::add_langext ( CODE ,NAME [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::delete_langext ( CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::add_langext_alias ( NAME ,NEW_NAME ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::delete_langext_alias ( NAME ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::rename_langext_code ( CODE ,NEW_CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::add_langext_code_alias ( CODE ,NEW_CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::delete_langext_code_alias ( CODE [,CODESET] ) These routines are all documented in the Locale::Codes::API man page. SEE ALSO
Locale::Codes The Locale-Codes distribution. Locale::Codes::API The list of functions supported by this module. http://www.iana.org/assignments/language-subtag-registry The IANA language subtag registry. AUTHOR
See Locale::Codes for full author history. Currently maintained by Sullivan Beck (sbeck@cpan.org). COPYRIGHT
Copyright (c) 2011-2012 Sullivan Beck This module is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. perl v5.16.2 2012-10-11 Locale::Codes::LangExt(3pm)