Sponsored Content
Operating Systems AIX Question about HACMP for active-active mode Post 302365449 by qiulang on Tuesday 27th of October 2009 06:10:08 AM
Old 10-27-2009
Question about HACMP for active-active mode

Hi all,

I am new to HACMP. So sorry for the newie question. But I did search the forum and it seems that no one asks this before.

So if a 2-node cluster runs in active-active mode (and the same application), what is the benefit of using HACMP ?

If it runs in active-stanby, it is easy to understand because you need HACMP to do failover; but for active-active mode, no failover (right ?), then why do we need HACMP ?

Besides, I find HACMP documents do not use the term "active-active" or "active-standby" (cold standby or hot standby) often. So does "concurrent resource group" mean "active-active" and "cascading/rotating resource group" mean "active-standby" ? Is there a cold standby ?

And what is the relation between "concurrent resource group" and "concurrent shared disk access"; what's the relation between "Cascading/Rotating resource group" and "non-concurrent shared disk access" ?

Thanks!

Last edited by qiulang; 10-27-2009 at 09:18 AM..

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Active / Non Active users ?

Hey, I have few Questions : 1. How to Check/Find who all are the users accessing the server using their id ? 2. How to Check who is the active user or non active user (whose id exists but the access privileges has been removed) ? I am presently using AIX5.3 as a server. Please suggest... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: varungupta
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

active working

hi! i want to create a list of the active working of the system classified by size and run the list on the monitor in a contolled pattern.Every active work has to appear only once. Any suggestions? also how can i create a list of the active working that does not belong to the user root?thanks (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: battaglia
5 Replies

3. AIX

AIX HACMP Active/Passive Config

I have a HACMP 6.1 configured in a active/passive. I have 1 NIC with 3 IP address on (Boot, Persistent and Service ) . All address are routable. One of the application on the HA cluster is also using Boot Ip to send application data. Question : Since all the traffic is passing thru the same... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mk8570
3 Replies

4. Solaris

Link based Active Active IPMP

Hi, I need to configure 4 ip address (same subnet and mask) in one ipmp group (two interfaces) in an active active formation (link based). Can some one provide the steps or a tutorial link. Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mack1982
2 Replies

5. Solaris

Port Active?

Hi, I have recently installed autosys R11 on my a container in solaris 10. the container has solaris 10. I am now trying to configure the autosys workload contol center on a windows VM. but i can not get the contol center to log into the the autosys server. when i try to estiblish a... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: dshakey
4 Replies

6. Linux

active mode ftp connection from linux

Hi, We have one java client which connects to a windows server through ftp in active mode and gets files. When we run this client on hp-ux, it is able to transfer 100k files. But when we run the same client on Linux server it is able to transfer only 200 files at max and it is hanging there... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: urspradeep330
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How do I calculate total number of active and non active hosts?

#!/bin/bash for digit in $(seq 1 10) do if ping -c1 -w2 192.168.1.$digit &> /dev/null then echo "192.168.1.$digit is UP" else echo "192.168.1.$digit is DOWN" fi done (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: fusetrips
3 Replies

8. Solaris

VCS not active

Dear All, My current system run Solaris 9 SPARC 64 bit , and VXVM , VCS 4.1. I check all the node information . ls -l /etc/vx/*.exclude /etc/vx/*.exclude: No such file or directory root@devuardbs01 # vxdctl license All features are available: Mirroring Root Mirroring Concatenation... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: linux_user
0 Replies
MP_AssignLogicalUnitToTPG(3MPAPI)		   Common Multipath Management Library Functions		 MP_AssignLogicalUnitToTPG(3MPAPI)

NAME
MP_AssignLogicalUnitToTPG - assign a multipath logical unit to a target port group SYNOPSIS
cc [ flag... ] file... -lMPAPI [ library... ] #include <mpapi.h> MP_STATUS MP_AssignLogicalUnitToTPG(MP_OID tpgOid, MP_OID luOid); PARAMETERS
tpgOid An object ID that has type MP_TARGET_PORT_GROUP. The target port group currently in active access state that the administrator would like the LU assigned to. luOid An object ID that has type MP_MULTIPATH_LOGICAL_UNIT. DESCRIPTION
The MP_AssignLogicalUnitToTPG() function assigns a multipath logical unit to a target port group. Calling this function is valid only if the field supportsLuAssignment in the data structure TARGET_PORT_GROUP_PROPERTIES is true. This capability is not defined in SCSI standards. In some cases, devices support this capability through non-SCSI interfaces (such as SMI-S or SNMP). This method is only used when devices support this capability through vendor-specific means. At any given time, each LU will typically be associated with two target port groups, one in active state and one in standby state. The result of this API will be that the LU associations change to a different pair of target port groups. The caller should specify the object ID of the desired target port group in active access state. RETURN VALUES
MP_STATUS_INVALID_OBJECT_TYPE The tpgOid or luOid parameter does not specify any valid object type. This is most likely to happen if an uninitialized object ID is passed to the API. MP_STATUS_INVALID_PARAMETER The tpgOid parameter has a type subfield other than MP_OBJECT_TYPE_TARGET_PORT_GROUP or luOid has a type subfield other than MP_OBJECT_TYPE_MULTIPATH_LU. MP_STATUS_OBJECT_NOT_FOUND The tpgOid or luOid owner ID or object sequence number is invalid. MP_STATUS_UNSUPPORTED The API is not supported. MP_STATUS_SUCCESS The operation is successful. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Standard: ANSI INCITS 412 | | |Multipath Management API | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |MT-Level |Safe | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
libMPAPI(3LIB), MP_GetAssociatedTPGOidList(3MPAPI), MP_GetMPLuOidListFromTPG(3MPAPI), attributes(5) SunOS 5.11 15 Feb 2006 MP_AssignLogicalUnitToTPG(3MPAPI)